MS Flight Sim has come a loooong way!

This is a section where users can post pictures and video links

Moderator: mark

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:45 pm

I bought the best chip available at the time, I was 50-50 between Intel and AMD....

I notice when flight-simming that the first core tends to max out while the other 3 run at less than 5% maybe...... (The fourth goes to 10 or 15% when i shake the mouse!! :lol: )
I don't think there's a quick fix for me so.......... :twisted:

I think the FSX phase is almost past me.....

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:34 pm

My PC

Or

DonalMW
Verified User
Verified User

Post by DonalMW » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:42 pm

And a further note this pc (& laptop) is for sale.......

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:27 am

Nice setup there Donal. Unfortunately SWMBO refused me to convert a bedroom into a Flight simpit (after i'd purchased a bunch of 24" lcd monitors :? :oops: ) so my flight simming is carried out on the main pc ( Lian Li pc case,overclocked Intel QX9770,Evga 790i Ultra,8GB DDR3 memory,2x64GB SSD hdd,2x1tb hdd,1.2kw psu,2x9800GX2 graphics cards for quad sli),Bluray/hd-dvd optical drive,Vista 64.Dell 30"3008WFP) with 30" lcd monitor, sitting room pc (Alienware case,Asus P5E3 Deluxe,8GB DDR3 memory,overclocked Intel QX9650,2x300gb+2x160GB raptors,Vista 64,ATi 3870X2,LG Bluray optical drive) connected to 47" 1080p lcd tv and kitchen pc (Dell XPS, Intel E8500, Nvidia 8800 Ultra gfx, 2x500GB hdd,LG Bluray/HD-DVD optical drive, 4GB memory) connected to another 47" 1080p lcd tv.I've yet to install fs on my laptops. I must throw up some pics when I get a minute :)

JoeMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JoeMc » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:03 pm

hi all

I am reading this tread about microsoft flight simulator. now i can work pc in the sense i know microsoft office and put an old spreadsheet together!! however the details yer all going on about is way over my head, i feel totaly stoneage!!

anyway my question is this. i have an ordinary mid range laptop (just bought at xmas so im assuming its fairly up to date) and all this talk of flight simulators made me wonder should i get myself a copy of it. Flight sim X i think is the latest. Bearing in mind my pc knowlegde is questionable, should i bother getting a copy of MSX for my little laptop.. would it work and would i learn anything that would be beneficial to furthering my PPL.

i have never played computer games so would i spend longer learning how to set it up rather than actually using it.

cheers lads

joe

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:12 pm

It really depends on the specs of the laptop, though it's worth bearing in mind that FSX can tax even today's best PC's ...let alone notebooks. A better option may be to pick up a copy of FS2004.
A flight sim can never compare to the real deal....though can be of use for some pilot's for practicing difficult approaches, instrument training and practicing ATC techniques (www.vateir.com), etc.

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi JoeMc,

You can make FSX as simple or as difficult as you want it to be. PPL furthering abilities is not perhaps why you would use it in the main. Very advanced simulator setups (€1,000s) can actually count towards hours (5 max) but your laptop and your finger on the mousepad won't cut it obviously.

If you splash a little on some joystick or yoke and 'Trackir' you're starting to get somewhere. 'Youtube' it and you will get an idea from someone's video.

Nothing replaces actual flying no more than telling a truck driver to play a truck simulation. That said I can name one or two benefits:

Basic instrument practice can give some return in a simulator and in fact a generous instructor can in theory teach this aspect of flying far safer, cheaper and without the pressure of real-world airspace than in the air but yet it will not count unless it is an approved simulator.

If you want to complete your PPL or fly post-PPL in the USA then the RT-speak FSX produces plus working in inches of mercury and the tutorials provided could help familiarise you with charts, radio, ground school etc.

I think what many get from it is the 'fantasy' i.e. a free unencumbered shot at putting themselves in situations/environment when either flying for real is hindered or is not possible at all.

To answer the computer's ability to run it without getting too technical I suggest you right-click my computer icon on your desktop or whereever else you have it and clicking properties then posting its spec here for some other to comment on but briefly:

Middle-range windows laptop bought in the last year or two will run it. You can tweak the settings to help the speed down to minute detail as you can also customise what button does what in a similar fashion but fortunately there are 'idiot-proof' master sliders for these settings where left gives you less of everything that could slow it down and right more.
It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:00 pm

There are some very realistic aircraft addons available for FSX from http://www.a2asimulations.com/index.html . They are working on an Accusim'd Piper J-3 Cub (including a float equipped version .......'specially for j3cub?? :wink: ).
For modern tubeliners check out PMDG's B747 and MD-11 http://www.precisionmanuals.com,
Ariane B737 http://www.arianedesign.com
LevelD's B767 http://www.leveldsim.com
or CaptainSim's B757 http://www.captainsim.com
For GA.......... www.carenado.com can't be beat.

kilo delta
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kilo delta » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:24 pm

Found this pic on another forum....a repaint of the new A2A J3..