Heli training in States

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

orkpilot
Unverified User
Unverified User

Heli training in States

Post by orkpilot »

Planning to do my ppl h in america in the coming months. was wondering if anyone out there has done it and if they would have any recomendations for flying schools/ pit falls etc
Rgds
orkpilot

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

I was schlepping around Titusville airport one day, and was watching the Helis from HAI (Helicopter Adventures) doing Autos, and I thought to myself "That looks like something I'd enjoy" so I went in and did a trial lesson. There were something like 22 Schweizers on the fleet at the time, and loads of instructors. I really enjoyed my flight, especially the Auto. I even wondered if I should stop the fixed wing training and defect to Helis. The school seemed prety decent and all the instructors were happy enough. I only did a trial lesson as I say so I am not an expert on them.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

-Al-
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by -Al- »

Ya theres pic in the classroom in exec helis showing HAIs fleet, i think I counted near 20 300s and a few 22s and some 206s.

I know one of my instructors did his training out there, not sure if it was HAI though.
--- "Hey there blimpy boy, flying so high and fancy free" --- Homer Simpson

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

Take a look at www.helicopterflightservices.com they are the biggest in the New York area (Philadelphia) if your interested in doing it in this area.

-Al-
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by -Al- »

Recently ive been considering going to HAI to do my commercial and instructors rating, after I do my PPL here.

Has anyone here done there training with them.
The website seems great, but id rather some feedback that isnt a sales pitch :)

Also, if I had an irish PPL(h) what kind of stuff do you have to do for use in the states?

thanks
AL

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

Also, if I had an irish PPL(h) what kind of stuff do you have to do for use in the states?

I presume its the same as the fixed wing. You can get a "piggyback" FAA certificate on the back of your JAA PPL. Its valid in the presence of your JAA PPL. You need to research it with your flight school if/when you choose to go to the US. I have heard the application process has changed. I elected to do the FAA PPL, its valid for life and its handy with the ever increasing number of N-Reg machines around.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE »

-Al- wrote:Has anyone here done there training with them.
The website seems great, but id rather some feedback that isnt a sales pitch :)

AL

Try www.justhelicopters.com

-Al-
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by -Al- »

Thanks for the answers guys, will check it out anyway.

Would be a big thing to move to the US for 2 years, but if it saves that much money :shock: