Helicopter Prices for Tall Ships Tours were OUTRAGES!

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Helicopter Prices for Tall Ships Tours were OUTRAGES!

Post by Lambada Crazy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:45 pm

I dont think that its me but I live in waterford and recently had the Tall Ships Races come here.I have seen people queue up in their hundreds for helicopter flights. The charge was ?45 per person PER SIX MINUTES. Maybe i just am wrong here but surely thats Outrages. I know people that paid ?90 for a six minute trip to see the ships. I got 40 mins in a pa28 Warrior for ?90 that day. With a new baby recently in my house they took off and landed about 30 times a day and flew no more than ten feet over my house. They landed in the RSCW which is just across the road from me. For tourist traveling here from abroad they would of burned a hole in their pocket and given the place a bad reputation.!
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:22 pm

I'd agree with you on that one Andy, ?45 for 6minutes is a bit steep. Noticed most of the flights had either 5 or 6 passengers in them. So say an average of ?245 per 6 minutes. Tidy profit to be made there.

But I suppose after 6 minutes one would be after seeing the whole lot.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:52 pm

I bet no ones making fortunes from running small charter Heli Ops. Jet Ranger is about 2K an Hour from Celtic I am led to believe. 2,000/60= 33.3 a minute.

Now out of that hour theres time taken to Land and Takeoff and considerable time spent on the ground loading and chucking off Pax. Then there is what?, about a three hour Roundtrip to Ferry a Jet Ranger from Dublin to Waterford, stopping for a sip of fuel at Waterford International Airport before heading out to our Sports field loacation or similar. Plus you've got to get someone to drive down from Dublin with a Fuel Bowser, if they were working off aiport. (Lets pretend it was Celtic, although I have no idea if they were there) Not to mention of course Handling Staff to shepard Pax to and from a Rotors Running Heli ( Can you imagine trying to explain that to an insurance broker! :shock: ). Insurance, Tax, Flight Permits if needed to operate flights off aiport, Landing Fees, Staff expenses like food and board, Factor in your actual running costs per hour, Lashings and Lashings of Jet A1 Mr Kipling, 2 Euro a minute phonecalls to weather Dial, maybe even an Engineer for the Day to look after the machinery yada yada....

My money, like Michael O'Learys, is invested in the Post Office...........

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:14 am

In no way can you relate fixed wing costs to rotary. It costs me about 300 yoyo per hour self fly in an R22, plus landing fees. Talk turbine and it's just silly money.

EIWAT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIWAT » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:53 pm

Cosmic wrote:stopping for a sip of fuel at Waterford International Airport before heading out to our Sports field loacation or similar.

They never stopped in for fuel during that few days as far as i know, they had 3\4 of their own bowsers down.
Regards

EI-WAT

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

they did

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:29 pm

Yes they did, as i saw one of their bowsers going across the ramp for some Jet A1
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:45 pm

As Andy says, yes they did stop in for Jet A1. There was a bowser on the back of a jeep. I remember specifically because we had to do a tight turn when taxying in order not to hit it.

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:37 pm

Well thats Ireland for its high-priced event charters. Who ran them?