N454CC

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

Delta Sierra
Unverified User
Unverified User

N454CC

Post by Delta Sierra » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:03 pm

Anyone had a chance to digest the report of this Heli from AAIU website.

Makes interesting read, and the restrictions going forward.

Any comments.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:19 am

Ah come on, at least give us a link to the AAIB so we can read it, or failing that let us know who owns the aircraft or what it is!!

Delta Sierra
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Delta Sierra » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:41 am

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:08 am

I got pictures of it at Weston back in October. You can see them at http://www.flyinginireland.com/huey.htm

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

Victor 9
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Victor 9 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:11 am

I remember this shaded area coming up in the past on one of the other BBs, goes to show what you can get away with on foriegn registered A/C.

The report states certain restrictions over built up areas since the incident.

I wonder will this be enforced???

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:11 pm

It was a sensible precautionary landing by the pilot.
The aircraft may have an interesting past but it was never mentioned how old the oil line was, and how it was never noticed before in any inspections
More interestingly and worrying it was comming back from maintenance.

Dublin is no more congested then liverpool or Glasgow (except for the traffic) there are quite a lot of green areas in comparison to big cities like London or New york.

It is good to see that no hair trigger drastic actions were taken that would pointlessly effect GA in Ireland.

Victor 9
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Victor 9 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:01 pm

Not to sure if your getting the point Slide old buddy.

Just to confirm,

Pre incident this machine had a restriction of "Special Purpose Operations" the definition being Argriculture use,Firefighting,and external load operations.
It took this incident to highlight this restriction and up to last week this machine could be seen over the skies of south Dublin.
Maybe we need to look at the definition of built up areas!!!!

Sticksforward
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sticksforward » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:27 pm

I saw this Heli on the ground in the car park of Blackrock clinic about 2 Years ago.

Des

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:29 pm

As far as I am awear the use of old military helicopters for Argriculture Firefighting,and external load operations are in relation to its commercial applications, they don't have to have commercial applications, they can be owned and flown privately, once the passengers on board weren't paying for the service, and it wasn't commercial air transportation, I could be wrong as it depends on who you talk to and what there take on it is.

He may even have had it registered as a historical aircraft and brought it around to various exhibitions, received grants from various U.S government Historical preservation society's and charged people for a ride (Of his aircraft, yis filthy animals!)

However I don't know what his status was and am impressed that he showed the good airmanship to set it down safely and not try to push the envelope to avoid all this hassle.
GA in Ireland does not need the silly twin Engine restriction imposed for flying over Dublin or other built up areas, it will set the industry back years, unnecesasarily.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:03 pm

Any news on the mentioned aircraft?
Is it still grounded? Has Pilot been torn limb from Limb by the Authorities?

pensive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by pensive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:39 pm

Interesting those restrictions that should have been enforced from the start. This foreign registered heli was seen on national TV and newspapers in the early summer of 2001 carrying around the "Relic of St. Therese"! One certain place was the GAA stadium in Thurles.
Now would somebody tell me how that falls into the categories mentioned? Do we really believe the individuals involved are that charitable and no monies were involved!!!!! :roll:
Must have all happened under cover of darkness in D15. :twisted:
Ex-mil machines can be flown only by pilot, co-pilot and up to a max of two "ground handlers/engineers" and usually must remain outside of controlled airspace. Now where did I park my Gazelle, tis the green and grey one!!! 8)

colin doyle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by colin doyle » Tue May 11, 2004 5:00 pm

This Heli can be seen parked in a garden on the hill of howth,( the back road up the hill).

CAVOK
Unverified User
Unverified User

pensive

Post by CAVOK » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:45 am

pensive wrote:Interesting those restrictions that should have been enforced from the start. This foreign registered heli was seen on national TV and newspapers in the early summer of 2001 carrying around the "Relic of St. Therese"! One certain place was the GAA stadium in Thurles.
Now would somebody tell me how that falls into the categories mentioned? Do we really believe the individuals involved are that charitable and no monies were involved!!!!! :roll:
Must have all happened under cover of darkness in D15. :twisted:
Ex-mil machines can be flown only by pilot, co-pilot and up to a max of two "ground handlers/engineers" and usually must remain outside of controlled airspace. Now where did I park my Gazelle, tis the green and grey one!!! 8)

You got it , a X heli onwer, Solicitor from D2 had a Longranger payed all the bills for the "relic of St Therese"