Page 1 of 1

Fellow aviator seeks help.

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:50 pm
by Not a cliche
So here's my request for all you heli chaps out there. Is there any way that an aircraft owner would be willing to let a total stranger (i.e. me) sit in on some of their flights as co-pilot with the possibility of logging some dual time and building up my hours for free? I'm just back from Canada after gaining my CPL(H), and I'm waiting on my work visa before I return to look for a start in the industry over there. I have an R22, R44, and B206 endorsement for the record.
I'm based in the Kerry area and have wheels, will travel, should any of you feel like helping out a fellow aviator...every little bit helps!
If anyone is interested you can PM me, and remember folks, we all had to start somewhere.....

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:06 am
by Bladecrack
Hey there,

Welcome to the FII heli forum! The problem you have is what hours you legally can log. Under the Irish and UK rules (both countries are JAR compliant) you can only log dual if it is training with an instructor, or you are P2 on a multi crew helicopter. Your ratings are all on single pilot helicopters, so only one pilot can be P1..

What you need is cheap SFH, or an owner that is willing to let you fly with him and let YOU log the time. Sorry for the doom and gloom, but quite a few guys have been caught out by logging stuff here and there when they really shouldn't, (eg P2 traffic watch in the US) and then tried to claim the hours towards a rating or licence later on and the authority have simply discounted those hours and drawn a red line through them. I know it is not easy starting out, but keep looking and stick with it if its really what you want to do.

P.S. is it a Canadian CPL(H) you have?

Best of luck.

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:43 pm
by Not a cliche
Hi Bladecrack,
Thanks for the welcome! Yes it's a Canadian CPL I have. In relation to the flying, could I log the time if I convinced the owner to let me fly p.i.c.? After all, he would still be in the left seat's not really that much to ask, I would have though? Do you know of anyone else who has an arrangement like this, or a way to get reasonably cheap p.i.c time in Ireland? I heard that you can sometimes carry out ferry flights for heli owners in this country, is that true?

Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:55 pm
by Bladecrack

Yes, if the owner is willing, you can log the time. It doesn't even need to be the aircraft owner, you could do some flying with a corporate pilot (non commercial flights) in a B206 or R44 and log some time if they agree to let you.

Up until last year there was quite a demand for R44 pilots especially in Ireland, and you could probably have got a few positioning flights if you were prepared to travel, but things have gone quiet recently, and there is probably quite a bit of competition from other guys looking to build time too.

Regarding your Canadian CPL, I would suggest you confirm that you can use it privately here if you have not already done so. There was some debate a few years ago as to whether pilots with FAA licences could fly Irish registered helicopters here, (obviously there is no issue with them flying N reg helis here) and the IAA didn't seem to keen on giving a definitive answer, but apparently they can, so I would imagine you can use a Canadian licence privately too. Although there are quite a few N reg aircraft in Ireland I doubt there would be many C reg about. The only one I remember seeing knocking about was Chris De Burgh's Bell 407 a few years ago.

Good luck.


Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:25 pm
by hugoj_air
BC & NaC,

Chris De Burgh's Bell 407 C-FCDB was re-registered G-OCDB in 2001.