SAR Training in Galway Bay, 09/11/2008.

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User

SAR Training in Galway Bay, 09/11/2008.

Post by 500 fan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:01 pm

A Coastguard Sikorsky S-61N, EI-SAR, was doing a bit of training over Galway Bay on Sunday last with a small RIB. The winchman was winched up and down a couple of times and the helicopter also did a low fly-by of the promenade at Salthill and I managed to get a few photos.

Here the S-61N starts it low run along the Salthill Promenade. This gives you an idea how low they were.

Have a close look at the winch. This is the first time I have seen the S-61N fitted with a dual winch. They seem to have clamped a second, spare winch onto the body of the first. This is probably required under the latest Coastguard contract which saw the Sikorskys undergo a bit of an upgrade.

I hit the wrong button on my camera for this shot and it came out in black and white! Not a great shot but you can just about see the winching practice under way. It was fairly windy and the seas were a little rough.

500 Fan.

Carter
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Carter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:00 am

Nice photos. That RIB was the Galway Inshore Lifeboat (RNLI). It was a fairly rough day underneath the S-61N alright, I was the helmsman! A good training session though!

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:35 pm

Carter wrote:Nice photos. That RIB was the Galway Inshore Lifeboat (RNLI). It was a fairly rough day underneath the S-61N alright, I was the helmsman! A good training session though!
Yes, very good shots, but why was SAR in Sligo, is'nt that the Waterford machine?

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 500 fan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:20 pm

I'm not sure but I think the different S-61s are passed around from base to base as they go through overhauls. I think CHC have a total of six S-61Ns in Ireland. Four are full-spec SAR machines while two are maintenance relief machines. EI-CNL might be a maintenance relief machine still. It was in 2001. CHC are penalised when any base is using a relief machine while a full-spec S-61N is down for maintenance.

Perhaps someone connected with CHC can confirm the above?

500 Fan.