Irish Lights new EC135

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:48 pm

from the detail I observed and the dating that helicopter is EI-BDI, lost off Donegal shortly after the Papal visit in 1979 when the pilot made an eroor is fuel selection. EI-BDI had the hockey stick tail rotor guard, whereas _AWB had the C type guard. The date is alos before the arrival of BLD hence by deduction it must have been BDI?
Incidentally, EI-AWB was leased from Bond, and returned to them as G-AZOM after Irish Lights service, it was lost off skegness later after both engines flamed out flying in a hail storm, later I understand the procedure was changed where you flew on continuous ignition in such weather. See, I am a source of useless info also. I plan to buy a scanner as I have some pics of BDI at rosslare along with BLD when it was new to Irish helicopters with only 600 airframe hours up after arrival from germany.
I heard from an engineer once that many of the original bolkows gave stress problems with the airframe, tailboom as I heard it around 6000 ghours as a consrquence of their particular mode of vibrating. I can clearly recall EI-AWB shortly before it returned to Bond, at which point it must have been approaching 6000 airframe hours, and noticing what seemes excessive movement on the tailboom when viewed from the front as it spooled up.

mac1
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mac1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:09 am

Sponge Bob thanks for the memories.Thats where it all started for me,flying out of the old helipad.Sitting beside Joe Durnin with Ciaran Joyce(RIP) in the back.Now all these years later am doing my own CPL(H).Took a long time to get here ,but its getting done.Do you know if there is any more of this footage?Does anyone know where i might get in contact with Joe Durnin.He flew the bolkow,but retired many years ago.I think he flew privately after that.All help greatly appreciated.

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Bolkow on youtube.

Post by 500 fan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:09 pm

Two very short videos of the Bolkow at work;

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=gd6kFKGJRkA

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=bGs0Sbzn9iM

500 Fan.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 pm

mac1 wrote:Sponge Bob thanks for the memories.Thats where it all started for me,flying out of the old helipad.Sitting beside Joe Durnin with Ciaran Joyce(RIP) in the back.Now all these years later am doing my own CPL(H).Took a long time to get here ,but its getting done.Do you know if there is any more of this footage?Does anyone know where i might get in contact with Joe Durnin.He flew the bolkow,but retired many years ago.I think he flew privately after that.All help greatly appreciated.
I may be incorrect but I understood he either set up a private company or flew for one, cannot remeber the name but one of theri choppers was EI-BOT? as used in the film "into the west"?

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:13 am

EI-BOT AS350B Ecureuil (Squirrel) was owned only by Joseph
Kelly and based at Mountcharles Co Donegal from 09.04.1984. It
later moved to Knocksedan Dublin still owned by Mr Kelly but used
by I believe Celtic or Irish Helcopters until it had an accident there
and the registration was cancelled on 15.04.1991.
Mac1, you mention the "old helipad" at Clifdan. Is that just a term of endearment for the good memories or was there a "new pad" elsewhere.
Sorry I can't help with Joe Durnin.

Hugo.

mac1 wrote:Sponge Bob thanks for the memories.Thats where it all started for me,flying out of the old helipad.Sitting beside Joe Durnin with Ciaran Joyce(RIP) in the back.Now all these years later am doing my own CPL(H).Took a long time to get here ,but its getting done.Do you know if there is any more of this footage?Does anyone know where i might get in contact with Joe Durnin.He flew the bolkow,but retired many years ago.I think he flew privately after that.All help greatly appreciated.

bolkow wrote:I may be incorrect but I understood he either set up a private company or flew for one, cannot remeber the name but one of theri choppers was EI-BOT? as used in the film "into the west"?

mac1
Unverified User
Unverified User

helipad,Clifden

Post by mac1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi Guys,thanks for info and clips of bolkow.Re Joe Durnin,I think it was a B206 he flew,dont know reg.He was a Donegal man but based in Cork.
The old helipad in Clifden was situated in what is now the kiddies playground next to the pier.There is a newer one next to the playground but is in bad shape as is never used,all traffic goes over it into Abbeyglen which has two pads.
Hugo you mentioned about four heli's there,last year the Robinson Club had a weekend in the hotel.I counted 15 heli's R44s,EC120,AS350 and a 109,we'll never see that again.

CVR
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CVR » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Mac1
I sent you a PM re Joe Durnin with contact details, a true gentleman and one of the best pilots i ever flew with.

Regards

CVR
FLY SAFE AND ENJOY

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Re: helipad,Clifden

Post by hugoj_air » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:50 pm

mac1 wrote:Hi Guys,thanks for info and clips of bolkow.Re Joe Durnin,I think it was a B206 he flew,dont know reg.He was a Donegal man but based in Cork.

Was the 206 Irish registered and was it in his name

The old helipad in Clifden was situated in what is now the kiddies playground next to the pier.There is a newer one next to the playground but is in bad shape as is never used.

Thanks for that mac1.

all traffic goes over it into Abbeyglen which has two pads.
Hugo you mentioned about four heli's there,last year the Robinson Club had a weekend in the hotel.I counted 15 heli's R44s,EC120,AS350 and a 109,we'll never see that again.

I heard about the Robinson Club flyout, didn't realise it went to the Abbeyglen. 15 on the ground, that must have been some sight. Any
photos per chance.

Hugo.

mac1
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mac1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:34 pm

Don't know if heli was irish reg.This was a long time ago,15 yrs possibly.

Sorry no pics,will talk to Brian in the hotel i'm sure he has some.Nobody escapes having their photo taken up there when they fly in.

Maybe things aren't as bad as we think.there has been an as350 and a 407 in already today and its only lunchtime.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks Mac,

It would be great to see some pics from the Robinson Club flyout if poss.

Glad to hear there is still some heli activity. In this part of Donegal I might
see a helicopter once a month if I'm lucky.

Hugo.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:39 pm

As far as I am aware the EC135 has begun active lighthouse support service, I read here it did a trial run around the coast in december to get everyone familiar with its operation, anybody heard how many hours it has amassed so far? I read somewhere the expectation will be around 600 a year?

I also notice a recetn pic of BLD has her sporting the ball type vibration dampers on the main rotors. As this is a very recent addition/modification I am thinking they must intend to retain her in irish Helicopters. I am aware that BLD is easier to sling load with as the centre of gravity is a little off on the stretched -LIT.

vortex003
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by vortex003 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:57 pm

It has passed this way a couple of times recently - not close enough for a pic though :( :wink:

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:08 pm

vortex003 wrote:It has passed this way a couple of times recently - not close enough for a pic though :( :wink:
I finally got to see it yesterday in Rosslare, plenty of flying out to tusker rock, 6 trips I think until it left for casteltownbere for work until it returns to rosslare saturday. Met and spoke to Colm Martyn, what an absolute gentleman.!
Got some great shots of her flying (on a disposable camera). To me it sounds much quieter than the bolkow but plenty of old rotor slap and he kills off the speed before landing. great day really watching it at work.
For bolkow lovers the news is good, BLD is apparently being retained as the back up machine to ILS, and LIT is apparently going to the north as an air ambulance. Bld's centre of gravity was always better for sling loading because its not a stretch.
Last edited by bolkow on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanoq
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Nanoq » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi Mac1,

the Bolkow sling shot taken in Middle Abbey Street shown on the first page of this thread was Joe also.

Great Pilot.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:11 am

bolkow wrote:
vortex003 wrote:It has passed this way a couple of times recently - not close enough for a pic though :( :wink:
I finally got to see it yesterday in Rosslare, plenty of flying out to tusker rock, 6 trips I think until it left for casteltownbere for work until it returns to rosslare saturday. Met and spoke to Colm Martyn, what an absolute gentleman.!
Got some great shots of her flying (on a disposable camera). To me it sounds much quieter than the bolkow but plenty of old rotor slap and he kills off the speed before landing. great day really watching it at work.
For bolkow lovers the news is good, BLD is apparently being retained as the back up machine to ILS, and LIT is apparently going to the north as an air ambulance. Bld's centre of gravity was always better for sling loading because its not a stretch.

I should add that as of february 14th last the new EC135 had around 130 airframe hours completed for anybody who might be interested. Expectation is to do an average of 5-600 hours per year