Irish Lights new EC135

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

Nanoq
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:58 pm

Post by Nanoq » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:56 pm

I think the EI-BDI shot in Middle Abbey Street might have been flown by a Donegal man still living in Cork.

Could be wrong on that but great shots.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 am
Location: Swansea. Wales, UK

Post by bolkow » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:53 pm

Nanoq wrote:I think the EI-BDI shot in Middle Abbey Street might have been flown by a Donegal man still living in Cork.

Could be wrong on that but great shots.
I first saw that same picture in Rotor&Wing magazine years ago, cant remember if it was Fergus O Connor or Gay Lyons? I do recall it was lifting an air conditioning unit onto a the roof of a building.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 am
Location: Swansea. Wales, UK

Post by bolkow » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:00 pm

500 fan that is apic I have never seen before of old BLD but she was quite young whne that was taken, I know when she arrived from germany to begin Irish Helicopters service she had a mere 600 hours on her. You can see from the pic how pristine she still looked back then.

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Post by 500 fan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:10 pm

Here's another photo of an older IHL BO-105, this time their first one, EI-AWB in all-yellow! Scroll down the page a little and you'll see it (It's actually the second yellow BO-105 photo on that page).

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/287207 ... tos-8.html

I think this might have been the only yellow helicopter that Irish Helicopters operated. It was later repainted in the Orange-and-Blue scheme seen on EI-BDI in the late seventies. Maybe the Alouette IIs were in yellow as well at first before they got the Orange-and-Blue treatment. Incidentally, EI-AWB was hijacked by the IRA in the early seventies and loaded up with bombs made from milk churns. They tried to bomb Strabane Police Station but only managed to drop them in the river nearby. Heli and pilot were released and the bad guys did a stretch in the clink!

500 Fan.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:02 am
Location: Donegal

Post by hugoj_air » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Just for the record, Speechless Two was right to think the photo of
EI-AWB was at Fanad Head.

Hugo.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 am
Location: Swansea. Wales, UK

Post by bolkow » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 am

500 fan wrote:Here's another photo of an older IHL BO-105, this time their first one, EI-AWB in all-yellow! Scroll down the page a little and you'll see it (It's actually the second yellow BO-105 photo on that page).

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/287207 ... tos-8.html

I think this might have been the only yellow helicopter that Irish Helicopters operated. It was later repainted in the Orange-and-Blue scheme seen on EI-BDI in the late seventies. Maybe the Alouette IIs were in yellow as well at first before they got the Orange-and-Blue treatment. Incidentally, EI-AWB was hijacked by the IRA in the early seventies and loaded up with bombs made from milk churns. They tried to bomb Strabane Police Station but only managed to drop them in the river nearby. Heli and pilot were released and the bad guys did a stretch in the clink!

500 Fan.
Alouette 2 EI-AUI was also in yellow to begin with later changing to an orange colour. Also waas'nt _BDI (bolkow) used for the mountjoy prison break when it was high jacked by a so called photographer at Dublin?

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Post by 500 fan » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:52 pm

The Mountjoy prison break was carried out by a hijacked Alouette II. Thompson Boyes was the pilot unlucky to be flying that day. Again the pilot and helicopter were released after the assigned 'task' was completed. Not sure which of the two IHL Alouette IIs was involved in this particular incident. The Bolkow and Alouette II hijackings both occured within the space of twelve months so IHL wasn't having much luck in that period. I am open to correction on this, but both events might be world firsts for such incidents.

500 Fan.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 am
Location: Swansea. Wales, UK

Post by bolkow » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:27 pm

500 fan wrote:The Mountjoy prison break was carried out by a hijacked Alouette II. Thompson Boyes was the pilot unlucky to be flying that day. Again the pilot and helicopter were released after the assigned 'task' was completed. Not sure which of the two IHL Alouette IIs was involved in this particular incident. The Bolkow and Alouette II hijackings both occured within the space of twelve months so IHL wasn't having much luck in that period. I am open to correction on this, but both events might be world firsts for such incidents.

500 Fan.
I was led to believe the mountjoy hi jack involved Bolkow EI-BDI?????
If it was the alouette as far as I recall Irish Helicopters only operated EI-AUI at that particular time?

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Post by 500 fan » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Here is a link to an article on the Mountjoy Prison Break;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Mount ... ter_escape

Thankfully, those bad ole days appear to be gone.

500 Fan.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 am
Location: Swansea. Wales, UK

Post by bolkow » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:18 pm

500 fan wrote:Here is a link to an article on the Mountjoy Prison Break;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Mount ... ter_escape

Thankfully, those bad ole days appear to be gone.

500 Fan.
hhMMM, I see the erticle states it was an alouette 2, and I guess the press report could be incorrect. Its just that I remember in Rosslare shortly after AWB's departure BDI arrived to do the lighthouse releif and I overheard a conversation between the pilot and garda officer present during which the pilot definitely confirmed to the policeman that "this was the machiner used for the mountjoy jailbreak!, referring to BDI which they were both standing beside. Its quite possible what I overheard was simply incorrect also unless the pilot was mistaken. Cant remember who the pilot was now though.

Irish251
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Dublin

Post by Irish251 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:14 pm

[quote="500 fan"]Here's another photo of an older IHL BO-105, this time their first one, EI-AWB in all-yellow! Scroll down the page a little and you'll see it (It's actually the second yellow BO-105 photo on that page).

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/287207 ... tos-8.html

I think this might have been the only yellow helicopter that Irish Helicopters operated. It was later repainted in the Orange-and-Blue scheme seen on EI-BDI in the late seventies./quote]

I also remember EI-AWB in green and white colours in about 1973/4; the orange and blue must have come in shortly after that though, because it was well-established by the time of the Papal visit in 1979.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 am
Location: Swansea. Wales, UK

Post by bolkow » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:52 pm

Irish251 wrote:
500 fan wrote:Here's another photo of an older IHL BO-105, this time their first one, EI-AWB in all-yellow! Scroll down the page a little and you'll see it (It's actually the second yellow BO-105 photo on that page).

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/287207 ... tos-8.html

I think this might have been the only yellow helicopter that Irish Helicopters operated. It was later repainted in the Orange-and-Blue scheme seen on EI-BDI in the late seventies./quote]

I also remember EI-AWB in green and white colours in about 1973/4; the orange and blue must have come in shortly after that though, because it was well-established by the time of the Papal visit in 1979.

From that scheme of grren and white it went to overall orange initially, later the bolkow got a blue section along the tail shaft housing on the tailboom with a blue stripe that went near the near the vertical fin from top to bottom on the tial booms though they were otherwise orange. It was much later that the blue on the bolkows was over the entire tail boom and ober the upper engine access shafts. The reason I know this w3as because I used to be an avid modeller and made models of all the aircraft mentioned on 1/32 scale, still have them all.
At the time of the papal visit the 212 EI-BFH was mostly overall orange, the then inverted arrows logo was in blue, as was the aforementioned stripe on the on the orange tail, and the tail shaft coweling was black. Let em check a net reference for the piocture of the papaal 212 I have on my wall and I'll post the link if its still there. Actually I checked and the link is no longer operative, but I printed off soem pics at the time that I still have, also some of Alouette 2 EI-AUI in the croke park in orange with the blue on its orange tail. That alouette 2 was definietly in yellow originally as I flew on it a number of times to the local lighthouse back in the days when single engine overwater flights without pop-outs or life-jackets was considered normal.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:02 am
Location: Donegal

Post by hugoj_air » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi Bolkow,

Would you by any chance have a date for the appearence of Alouette 2
EI-AUI at Croke Park. Would love to see the pic of it there.

Hugo.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:03 am
Location: Swansea. Wales, UK

Post by bolkow » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:33 am

hugoj_air wrote:Hi Bolkow,

Would you by any chance have a date for the appearence of Alouette 2
EI-AUI at Croke Park. Would love to see the pic of it there.

Hugo.
I'll check the pics this morning, I printed off a few copies, dont believe it gives a date and the link for the pics is most likely gone now but I believe the guy who gave me the link said he thought sean oakes was flying it at the time.
Tell you what, pm me your address and I will mail you a hard copy as I am off work today, one of my daughters has the lurgie!

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Post by 500 fan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:32 pm

It's great to see so much interest in IHL. Here are a few links to a couple of photos of some of the past fleet;

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1023088/
The 'Papal' Bell 212 from 1981 with the Papal Crest still on the engine fairing.

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/10050 ... 19343&sp=8
Same helicopter in slightly different markings in 1988.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Irish-He ... _id=NEXTID
Here is Bell 212 EI-BAM in 1977.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1017427/
The short-lived Hughes 500D. This would have looked good in IHL orange-and-blue! I think it was with IHL for about two years before being sold on. Does anyone know what roles it was used in. Probably charter, light sling-loading and aerial photography?

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1029450/
EI-BKT in the older all-orange scheme.

500 Fan.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest