Irish Lights new EC135

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

JoeMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JoeMc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi All

Irish Lights Ec135 has been active all morning around Letterkenny (March 30th) As i type she just flew in over my office and set down behind the shopping area at canal road. Fantastic machine.

rgs

Joe

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Joe,

Would that be the shops that start with M & S and follow the one way
system (car park behind). Or the shops behind M & S on the old Canal Road which include Cyberworld computer store.

Hugo.

JoeMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JoeMc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:17 am

Hi hugo

it looked like she set down behind M&S on the one way system, behind rite price tiles. PJ Doherty often sets his helicopter down there (i think his is an Agusta 109) when he is collecting the rent!!. but i couldn't be sure due to the angle of my office. i know there are two or three possible landing spots in that general area (behind rite price tiles, to the side of global tiles and to the east of bonar engineering)

As for Irish Lights she arrived about 11am aproaching from the south east. departed shortly thereafter (about 1/2 hour). she returned about 14.20 but unfortunatly work got in the way and i didn't hear her depart.

keep an eye here and i'll post any further movements

Joe

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks Joe,

Ya, I heard that PJD landed there from time to time and a few heli's used it during the Motor Rally, probably staying in the Ramada.
There is a roadway between Priceright Tiles and the next block. You can see a carpark at the back, I was told thats where the Rally helis parked
so I suppose it's the same area where both the A109 and the IL 135 landed.

Hugo.

OSCAR BRAVO
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OSCAR BRAVO » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:58 pm

EI-ILS was at knock today parked on the west side of the "bravo"or cargo apron.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

ei-ils

Post by bolkow » Fri May 01, 2009 10:04 pm

OSCAR BRAVO wrote:EI-ILS was at knock today parked on the west side of the "bravo"or cargo apron.
I wonder why so far inland, maybe topping up the tank?

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

ei-ils

Post by bolkow » Fri May 01, 2009 10:04 pm

OSCAR BRAVO wrote:EI-ILS was at knock today parked on the west side of the "bravo"or cargo apron.
I wonder why so far inland, maybe topping up the tank?

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:26 pm

bolkow wrote:from the detail I observed and the dating that helicopter is EI-BDI, lost off Donegal shortly after the Papal visit in 1979 when the pilot made an eroor is fuel selection. EI-BDI had the hockey stick tail rotor guard, whereas _AWB had the C type guard. The date is alos before the arrival of BLD hence by deduction it must have been BDI?
Incidentally, EI-AWB was leased from Bond, and returned to them as G-AZOM after Irish Lights service, it was lost off skegness later after both engines flamed out flying in a hail storm, later I understand the procedure was changed where you flew on continuous ignition in such weather. See, I am a source of useless info also. I plan to buy a scanner as I have some pics of BDI at rosslare along with BLD when it was new to Irish helicopters with only 600 airframe hours up after arrival from germany.
I heard from an engineer once that many of the original bolkows gave stress problems with the airframe, tailboom as I heard it around 6000 ghours as a consrquence of their particular mode of vibrating. I can clearly recall EI-AWB shortly before it returned to Bond, at which point it must have been approaching 6000 airframe hours, and noticing what seemes excessive movement on the tailboom when viewed from the front as it spooled up.

I need to correct some of the details above, apparently it was not EI-AWB aka G-AZOM that ditched because of flying in hail, I have discovered that whilst it did ditch off skegness, it ditched because the movement I previously mentioned seeing on the tailboom progressed to a point where the linkage to the tail rotor came apart, and the machine spun three times before ditching and turning over. Apparently there was such an issue with bolko0ws originally around the 6000 hour mark where excessive movement in the tail had progressed to a point to make this possible, I am told this was identified and rectified by using some strengthening procedures subsequently when airframes reached that level of hours, and this prevented it occurring again.