Irish Lights new EC135

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 500 fan » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Here is a link to a photo of EI-ILS. No CIL badge on it, yet. It's quite a nice scheme though.

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/10290 ... /?&sid=&sp

500 Fan.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:01 am

500 fan wrote:Here is a link to a photo of EI-ILS. No CIL badge on it, yet. It's quite a nice scheme though.

http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/10290 ... /?&sid=&sp

500 Fan.
thanks for that, much appreciated, she looks a beaut.

sponge bob
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by sponge bob » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:44 pm

while i was in clifden today i saw it flyover and land....it looks great...but i hope i will still get to see the bolkow again sometime

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:47 pm

sponge bob wrote:while i was in clifden today i saw it flyover and land....it looks great...but i hope i will still get to see the bolkow again sometime
From what 500 fan said further back you will see the bolkow many more times, at least EI-BLD because apparentyl it will be the back up machine. I hope they dont wear out the new ec135 with all thye appeare3nces it seems to be making because its not on line until dece3mber 1st according to the contract.

sponge bob
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by sponge bob » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:51 pm

Mick conneely said a fairwell today with some spectacular flying over the pier in clifden...i believe he retires next week..its history now...so happy i saw the bolkow today :cry:

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:11 pm

sponge bob wrote:Mick conneely said a fairwell today with some spectacular flying over the pier in clifden...i believe he retires next week..its history now...so happy i saw the bolkow today :cry:
Last time I spoke to him he told me he was due to retire in march but was unsure what would happen when the ec135 came on line as it would not be worth him getting certified on type. I assumed he's keep going until march when I hear the bolkow BLD would be kept on as the back up machine.

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User

EI-ILS Photos.

Post by 500 fan » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Here are a few photos of EI-ILS. It has plenty of additional equipment fitted for the lighthouse support role. Equipment include pop-out floats, ELT, cargo hook, tie-down rings on each skid leg, rearview mirrors, radar and an SPIFR avionics fit. The passenger comparment seats six. Hope this is of interest.

500 Fan.

vortex003
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by vortex003 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:38 am

Nice pics! :D
Might see it passing some time :wink: - the Bolkow used to transit overhead from time to time 8) (never close enough for a pic though :( )

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: EI-ILS Photos.

Post by bolkow » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:48 pm

500 fan wrote:Image

Here are a few photos of EI-ILS. It has plenty of additional equipment fitted for the lighthouse support role. Equipment include pop-out floats, ELT, cargo hook, tie-down rings on each skid leg, rearview mirrors, radar and an SPIFR avionics fit. The passenger comparment seats six. Hope this is of interest.

500 Fan.
Thanks for those pics, best I have seen of her as yet. Has she done many hours since arriveing? Heard she has been top waterford and clifden, so obviously has been traipsing around a bit already?

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 500 fan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:31 pm

Yea, she has been out and about doing some training flights. The pilots have visited many of the lighthouses around the coast to allow the lighthouse crews become familiar with this new machine. Don't know how many hours are on it though. She officially started work with the CIL today. The Bolkows are being retained for the time being with no date set for their retirement. It's likely that at least one will be retained as a maintenance relief machine for the EC135.

500 Fan.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:53 pm

500 fan wrote:Yea, she has been out and about doing some training flights. The pilots have visited many of the lighthouses around the coast to allow the lighthouse crews become familiar with this new machine. Don't know how many hours are on it though. She officially started work with the CIL today. The Bolkows are being retained for the time being with no date set for their retirement. It's likely that at least one will be retained as a maintenance relief machine for the EC135.

500 Fan.
I do know a few months back they were willing to offload the stretch bolkow -LIT, and it would have been a good buy for £200000 if you then had another £70000 for the shaft that was coming due. If its been odne it might be the one to hang onto as the leg room is much better in the back than in -BLD which would be harder to get out of in a hurry with a survival kits etc on.

500 fan
Unverified User
Unverified User

IHL BO-105 in Pink Panther film.

Post by 500 fan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 am

The film 'The Pink Panther strikes again' was on TV on Christmas Eve and there is a scene in it where a prisoner escapes from a train by hanging onto the underside of a helicopter. The helicopter used was none other than Irish Helicopters' BO-105 EI-AWB. It carried the fake registration F-AWAX. The colour had changed from the early yellow-and-black scheme and it was wearing a green-and-white scheme. It must have changed again shortly afterwards to the final orange-and-blue scheme before it was sold in 1978. The film was shot in 1976. Another useless bit of information!

500 Fan.

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Re: IHL BO-105 in Pink Panther film.

Post by hugoj_air » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:06 pm

500 fan wrote:The film 'The Pink Panther strikes again' was on TV on Christmas Eve and there is a scene in it where a prisoner escapes from a train by hanging onto the underside of a helicopter. The helicopter used was none other than Irish Helicopters' BO-105 EI-AWB. It carried the fake registration F-AWAX. The colour had changed from the early yellow-and-black scheme and it was wearing a green-and-white scheme. It must have changed again shortly afterwards to the final orange-and-blue scheme before it was sold in 1978. The film was shot in 1976. Another useless bit of information!
500 Fan.

You couldn't be more wrong 500. It may be useless to you and me, but I can guarantee it will be like gold dust to someone. It's minor details like this which could fill in a small gap for those searching. I'm always on the lookout for any detail about aviation sites, old and new anywhere in the country.

Happy New everyone.

Hugo.

sponge bob
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by sponge bob » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:26 am

check out this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao3r1qdb1ak
you might have to copy and paste

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:49 pm

sponge bob wrote:check out this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao3r1qdb1ak
you might have to copy and paste

Thank You Sponge Bob. A very interesting piece of vidio. The Irish Lights
helipad at Clifden has been in continuous operation since first opening in
1968. There is another pad in Clifden just 150m to the NW up the hill at the Abbey Glen Hotel. In the past I've heard reports of four heli's on the ground there at the same time. Probably wont happen again for a long time as Ireland Inc is haemorrhaging helicopters like nobody's business.

Hugo.