Bettystown Crash

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:54 pm

The AAIU's Preliminary Report is out now http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/11003-0.pdf

Note they say there is no evidence as yet of any technical problem with the aircraft, the pilot decided to reposition it to the carpark due to a number of people gathering around it on the beach.

If this turns out to be true then in my opinion this guy should be in serious trouble for dangerous flying. It's one thing trying to land a R22 there, but to land a Sikorsky???? :roll:

hum
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hum » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:25 am

The purpose of any accident or incident report is to understand what happened, why, and try to prevent a re-occurrance.

It is NOT to initiate a witch-hunt or to apportion blame.

It is important to understand that humans make mistakes & errors of judgement, if anyone believes they are immune then think again....

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:51 am

Well you can be done for wreckless or dangerous driving in a car without having harmed anybody at all, so why can't someone be done for deciding to land a large heli in a confined area, injuring two innocent members of the public, without having good reason to do so (if that turns out to be the case)? If I were doing circuits and decided to land my plane in Superquinn carpark in Lucan without having a technical problem then I'd pretty much expect to get a rollicking, and rightly so. So far it appears his only reason for restarting the heli and moving it was that there was a crowd gathering on the beach......so what, the engines were shut down, where was the danger (compared to doing what he did)? I know he made a mistake, but in all walks of life people are made to pay for them, he should be thankful he's still able to.

But yes, of course, this is still speculation, so let's wait for the full report to come out first.

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:40 am

The Investigation has not identified any technical problem with the helicopter to date.

As this is just a preliminary report it will include only a summary of the facts estabilshed thus far.Given the severity of the after-crash fire any technical problems with the aircraft might be difficult to find. That is to say that something may yet be discovered to shed more light on the incident.

Considerable weight will also be given to the pilots statement during the investigation, after all he was the most qualified person at the scene to comment and is innocent until proof exists to say otherwise.

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:18 pm

I visited the crash site today and I just cannot believe someone would try to land even a jet pack in that small space, there must have been some technical reason that forced the attempt. Will be interesting to read the report

flyer_150
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Bettystown Crash

Post by flyer_150 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Helicopter pilot fined €5000 for crash

Thursday, 14 January 2010 22:47

The pilot of a helicopter that crashed and exploded into flames in Co Meath has been fined €5,000 and given a three month suspended sentence. William Curry tried to land the aircraft in the car park of the Neptune Hotel in Bettystown in September 2008.
The 35-year-old, from Kilcullen in Co Kildare, pleaded guilty to three charges brought by the Irish Aviation Authority.

The judge said it was a miracle that Mr Curry survived and that nobody else was killed or injured.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0114/curryw.html

(His license was restored)
flyer_150

lonewolf
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Bettystown Crash

Post by lonewolf » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:58 pm

I think its time to put this one to rest. Any Man that has never made a mistake has never made any thing.Im sure the pilot feels bad enough as it is without everyone here at him.People are very quick to judge,you never know it could be you the next time.