helicopter employment

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

johnbowe
Unverified User
Unverified User

helicopter employment

Post by johnbowe »

HI guy

I ve just returned from florida with my helicopter ppl. I plan to go back to the states next year for my instrument and cpl. Before i spend all that money i would to know is it worthwhile as i have heard there is little employment in Ireland at the moment. Could anyone list the employment opportunity s available as i am new 2 this game. I want a career in aviation & helicopters are my first choice, but i would convert to fixed wing if needs be.

Thanks
John

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack »

John,

Things have got very quiet in the helicopter scene in Ireland at the minute, your best bet is probably to apply to the North sea as a co-pilot once fully qualified, (CPL+IR) as chances of getting other work as a low hours helicopter pilot are very slim. Chances of instructor work are a bit better, as at least one flight school in Ireland is looking for instructors now. Unfortunately things in the airline world are not much better at the minute..

Good luck

BC

johnbowe
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by johnbowe »

Thanks for that bladecrack,

I thought as much, suppose i ve a few decisons to make in the next couple weeks.

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow »

johnbowe wrote:Thanks for that bladecrack,

I thought as much, suppose i ve a few decisons to make in the next couple weeks.
I do think you should bear in mind that over recent years with the celtic tiger phenomenon there was a massive boom in helicopters entering the country, I imagine the current scene is quiet because of the current downturn, but would sure expect it to pick up again in a cyclical way as soon as the economy lifts again. I do know there has been a heck of a lot of private work around until recently, so much so that guys retired from the public scene were still going in the private sector. I'd go with the north sea then keep a weather eye looking west?

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 »

Also bear in mind it's not that easy to get into the North Sea either. Lord knows I'm trying!! I meet the minimum hours, have a JAA IR, but haven't made it onto an interview list yet.

Bristow are taking people on direct from Bristow Academy, if you can get in there, and indicate you are interested in going north sea with them, there's a good chance of getting in that way. Probably the best way to go at the minute.

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack »

tu154,

Hows the north sea job hunting going? I have a couple of friends flying over there and word is that the big 3 have stopped recruiting.. Hope you got in before the recession took hold.

BC