Pressure...

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Pressure...

Post by stovepipe » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:30 pm

Hi all
I have wondered what kind of pressure is there on pilots to get their punters to their destination, regardless of weather. I live in West Wicklow and have seen quite a few helicopters going by, in very marginal weather,definitely nudging the margins of Special VFR. Anyone care to comment?
regard
stovepipe

bolkow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bolkow » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:21 am

no comment, except to say I would never fly in marginal weather, nor admit to same to a probable caa inspector?

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:22 pm

Here's something that happened yesterday, we turned back to our airport because of the fog.......

http://www.delmarvanow.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 50301/1002

I would say there is pressure...but making the decision to fly in this case is more than lightly due to pressure.......

Vmax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Vmax » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:42 pm

RV-BLUE wrote:Here's something that happened yesterday, we turned back to our airport because of the fog.......

http://www.delmarvanow.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 50301/1002

I would say there is pressure...but making the decision to fly in this case is more than lightly due to pressure.......

Your link says it all really. :(

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Pressure...

Post by OW wright » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:18 pm

stovepipe wrote:Hi all
I have wondered what kind of pressure is there on pilots to get their punters to their destination, regardless of weather. I live in West Wicklow and have seen quite a few helicopters going by, in very marginal weather,definitely nudging the margins of Special VFR. Anyone care to comment?
regard
stovepipe

i wonder stovepipe how many of the helicopters you have seen flying in "very marginal weather" where flying at ,shall we say, an appropriate height over built up area's ?

has it become a common pratice for heli's flying in "very marginal weather " to bend the rules a little with regard to safety heights to aviod flying in low cloud.
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

Nanoq
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Nanoq » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:30 am

I used to work with this pilot a few years ago and it's another tragic accident. If you think there is a chance that something like this is going to happen on your flight then there is no outside pressure strong enough to get you off the ground. As pilots though we naturally want to complete the job and the pressure we put on ourselves is probably the toughest.

I have been cought out a few times going IMC in very bad places but I was lucky enough to have a few more things in my favour at the time as regards to aircraft equipment.

Even so I think there are many pilots who will agree that when you cancel a flight due to a weather report, unless the weather is right there and you can see it, you will always think maybe it was'nt that bad.

There are so many factors involved, I think, an accident like this can happen to any one of us regardless of outside pressures.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:37 pm

As one of the first things I learned in aviation, the word " have " does not exist.

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:38 pm