FAA Licences

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

macair
Unverified User
Unverified User

FAA Licences

Post by macair » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi All,I was wondering could someone tell me what are the pros and cons of having an FAA PPL licence here in Ireland.I have been hearing mixed reports on this subject.1.Am i only limited to N reg helo's both here and in the UK? 2.If i get to 150 hrs on the FAA licence can I then do a JAA CPL? 3.Will an FAA instrument rating be of any use to me in Ireland? Im heading to florida next week to start PPL training and as I have 2 months on my visa and return flights i'd like to know how to spend the time after the PPL constructively,a turbine transition maybe? Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:15 pm

Macair,

1. No, but you can only fly EI reg in Irish airspace and G reg in UK airspace with an FAA licence.

2. Yes, but after you have done all the JAR ATPL or CPL exams first, check LASORS for details.

3. Only in an N reg heli really, in my opinion.

Good Luck!

BC

macair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by macair » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Cheers BC that clears up a few issues.Just wanted to be sure i wasnt wasting my time and money, as there seems to be a bit of negativity surrounding FAA licences on some forums ive read,thanks again.

Overpitcher
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Overpitcher » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:03 am

Bladecrack, think you are wrong there ref, only flying EI reg with FAA.
You can fly any reg you like, provided it is not a commercial flight.
Cheers guys..................
More money, more lift.

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Overpitcher,

Read my post again, I said you can fly an EI reg aircraft within the state (irish airspace) on an FAA licence, but you need to check the rules of the state you are intending to fly in.

Have a look at SI 333 Personnel Licensing, Part II General, Section 5, on the IAA website.

Also, from the CAA website:

Owners and operators of foreign registered aircraft without a temporary registration or an International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standard Certificate of Airworthiness (CofA) must obtain an Exemption from the CAA before any flight within UK airspace is undertaken.

Also you need to check the licensing requirements.

BC

romeofox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by romeofox » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:15 pm

You are both right in a way. Yes both the iaa and caa say you can only fly an ei reg in ire or g reg in uk on an faa licence. This counts for ALL JAR states. EXCEPT Ireland and U.K.. If you ring the IAA they will tell you there is an agreement between the two states that exempts each other from this rule. Dot ask me why they did this or what brought it on. I just know it is there. Anying other that EI, N or G reg cannot been flown here or U.K. on an faa licence without special permission.