PPL/CPL in Florida!

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

Davy
Unverified User
Unverified User

PPL/CPL in Florida!

Post by Davy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:54 pm

Right fellas il get to the point, HSBC Bank in the UK gives out a Professional studies loan, you can get a max of 25 Grand (UK Pounds) that gets yea 50,000 Dollars at the minute with the going rates. With that loan they give you 6 Months without paying anything back from the point you take the loan out and after 6 Months you will start paying it back over watever years. Me and another fella were thinking of taking the loan each and going to florida for the few months and completing the PPL and CPL courses. We would come back home, back to the normal job for a while, do the conversion course in the UK and build some hrs. Theres 2 local people beside me with a Bell 206 and a R44 so i shouldn't have any probs building hours when i get my ratings on both aircraft. Does it sound like a plan to you guys with both licences??

Its just to dam expensive to do both licence's in the UK!

We were thinking of this school.
http://www.flyoft.com/helicopter_training.php

Any opinions greatly apprieciated, cheers!

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

p

Post by JFH » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:12 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:50 am

Davy I am not entirely up to date on the world of training, but the last I heard was that they had closed that loan package to Student Pilots. Do you know for sure if that has changed?
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

Davy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Davy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Sorry only getting back now, dam internet was off for ages. Yeah they have stopped doing that loan, im gona save for a year doing 2 jobs and il go over and do the JAR PPL Course with bristow probably when i have enough saved, i aint taking no loan out, i was told il be put on a 8 month waiting list so might aswel save for a year, do some reading up aswel!

Michael Jackson
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Michael Jackson » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:29 pm

Davy, If you want my advice! Dont do the JAR PPL with Bristow!
You should do a FAA PPL with a school like ocean helicopters!
The FAA PPL is legal to use in Ireland on EI Reg aircraft.
To keep a JAR PPL current you must fly at least 12 hours every second year, but to keep your FAA current it is alot less and you save money.
Alos if you go JAR, you need a type rating for each heli.
With the FAA PPL, you can hop into a bell jet ranger without ever flown one before and you are legal but this is not wise!!!!!
What I am saying is FAA beats the JAR by miles in my oponion!!!

Best of luck with it mate 8)
SHAMOON

Davy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Davy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:50 pm

Thanks michael, I didn't think the FAA covered aircraft here, il get looking at oceans website, but do i not need the JAR to fly aircraft in the UK??

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:14 pm

With the FAA system you basiscally get a rotorcraft rating, this covers you for all single engine helicopters up to a certain weight category, and although you dont have to do an approved type rating course like that under JAR, unless you intend buying your own helicopter, it is unlikely any flying school or owner will let you fly their helicopter on your FAA licence, unless you have done some training with an instructor, and proved yourself proficient on type.

BC
Last edited by Bladecrack on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:18 pm

You can fly an Irish registered helicopter with an FAA licence in Irish airspace only, also you can fly a UK registered helicopter with an FAA licence, again in UK airspace only. However, with an FAA licence, you can fly an N registered (US) helicopter anywhere in the world.

Bristow Academy (formerly HAI) offer PPL to CPL licence training for either FAA, JAR or both.

BC.
Last edited by Bladecrack on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:27 pm

Also to clarify on Ratings,

The rating system under JAR is different to fixed wing, you need a type rating on each helicopter type, which is valid for 12 months, you can re-validate by flying 2 hours within that 12 months on type and completing an LPC up to 3 months before expiry with an examiner, the LPC can be included in the 2 hours.

R22 and R44 are treated as separate types, however some single engine piston and turbines are grouped, meaning you only have to do one LPC to re-validate the group, as long as you have the required minimum time on each of the types within the group in the 12 month period.

BC

redwolf
Unverified User
Unverified User

type rating groups

Post by redwolf » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:09 pm

hi blackcrack

what groups of single turbine helicopters are grouped together for the purpose of type ratings?

Davy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Davy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:48 pm

Cheers blade.. Il prob be doing the JAR with bristow hopefully.. So if i was to get a rating on the Bell 206 id have to fly 2 hrs or more on it within the 12 months to keep my rating on it active as with any other single engine aircraft as you say?

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:15 pm

Redwolf,

You need to do a type rating on each single turbine, but some of them may be grouped for the purpose of the annual LPC thereafter, check LASORS for the group, for example in the piston group, if you have Hu269 ENF28 and B47, as long as you have the minimum hours on each type in the 12 months, you can do an LPC on the Hu269 and that re-validates the whole group for 12 months, next year you need to do the LPC on one of the other types.

Davy,

Yes, thats correct, minimum 2hrs per year, which may include the LPC, to stay current on type, good luck with the training!

BC

redwolf
Unverified User
Unverified User

type ratings

Post by redwolf » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:04 pm

hi bladecrack

in regards to type ratings, can you use a n reg or EI aircraft to get a type rating on a UK PPL, or must it be a G-reg.

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:44 am

Redwolf,

If you want to train in a foreign registered aircraft (including N & EI reg) within the UK, you need to apply to the UK D.o.T. for an approval, you should allow around 2 weeks for this, the FTO or TRTO you wish to train with should be able to guide you on how to apply. The penalties can be quite severe if you do not get an approval before commencing training, as one senior UK examiner found to his cost a couple of years ago!

Regards,
BC