Competitive rates to rent helicopter for debs in the Summer?

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Competitive rates to rent helicopter for debs in the Summer?

Post by GJOYT » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Any information on any good rates to get a chopper for my debs??...

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:17 pm

I presume you mean hiring including a pilot to bring you and the burd to the do. Nice idea, but complicated. But here's whats needed:
The company you use must have an Air Operator Certicifate (AOC) as this would be classed as a public transport flight. I don't believe there are any R44s on an AOC in Ireland, so it will have to be a turbine of some sort, and you are then talking about quite serious dosh.
The pickup and drop off areas need to be suitable, the surroundings (approach and departure) also suitable under JAR OPS for public transport.
If the flight was to take place at night, the aircraft and the pilot would have to be instrument rated and a twin. I believe even if the flight took place in a control zone under SVFR, there is no night public transport in a single turbine. So it's not getting any cheaper here.
Of course if you are getting an earlier dropoff then possibly not a problem, depends on the time of year.
Be sure to use a reputable operator with an AOC as if it does go wrong, and there is a nasty accident with people ending up in wheelchairs, but able to sue, then the insurance may not pay out as the flight would not have been legal. Always the bottom line unfortunately.
The operators in the golden pages under helicopter charter should be able to help, can't see it being cheap though.

helihover
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by helihover » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:29 pm

Oh my god ,little knowledge is dangerous.

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:29 pm

No offence but alot of that was common sense to me. Unique Helicopters at Enniskillen charge ?450 an hour for an R44 and yes they are AOC but was wondering if thats the best or even a bigger chopper that can hold more people on it and then split the. I know its going to be alot. But just the idea of it you know like not something alot of people would be doing. Theres no problem with daylight as it would be in the Summer and the evenings stretch beyond 9pm. I would go in an R44 only though it can only hold 3 people and ?225 wouldnt be so bad unless i just dont bring a date to it though and my friend brings his? :? Then an AS350 is ?725 an hour and the EC120 is ?650 an hour and I think that the both of them can carry 4 passengers excluding the pilot? Maybe I'll just have to forget about it unless I win the lotto in the mean time?? :lol: If you hear of anything more affordable for a student please let me know.