Heli Training in the US

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Heli Training in the US

Post by YoYo » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:28 am

I'm new to the Heli forum - you normally find me on the fixed wing side. I'm seriously considering altering my wings to the rotating type by adding a PPL(H) rating to my FAA license. I've identified 2 schools in Florida - Orlando Flight Training Centre at Kissimee and HAI in Tutisville.

I've have very good recommendations regarding HAI - does anyone have any experiences of OFT. OFT work out very slightly cheaper in that they have on site accommodation. Other than that the 2 companies are very competitively priced.

I'm looking at a 3 week intensive course - probably sometime around the January 2007 timeframe.

Any info on these 2 companies or any others who offer intensive courses will be gratefully received.

EI-MAY
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EI-MAY » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:03 pm

Hi YoYo,

Being a plank driver myself(as I believe the heli guys call us) with a long interest in Heli's, I've done some research into this.

I believe HAI is one of the better options http://www.heli.com/
I've no first hand experience but I've talked with a few lads who have. They seem to be a very professional outfit with 32 aircraft, so plenty of choice and no problems if one goes tech. Alot of Irish guys go there and some work there.

I'll am doing the FAA CPL/IR (plane) next year and my plan is to do the commercial add on heli conversion course the following year with HAI. Seems like a good deal HAI offer.
The Schweizer chopper seems to be a more stable aircraft to fly and go solo in. It also has more room. No carb heater, as its fuel injected etc. Then you can convert to a Robinson or a turbine at a later stage.

I seem convinced by HAI, though I'd like to read other responses/ experiences from anybody. Let me know who you decide to go with YoYo.

All the best,

EI-MAY

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:49 am

Try.... www.justhelicopters.com I'm sure you'll get some info there

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:29 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by YoYo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:29 pm

Went to Ocean Helicopters of West Palm Beach and completed 50 hours in R22's and R44's. Intensive flying 2 flights per day covering 3 hours tuition. May not sound a lot but I had difficulty remembering my name on the trip back to the student house each evening. After passing my check ride I took my wife plus an instructor for a trip down the Florida Keys for lunch at the Marriott hotel Key Largo. Heli pad was a jetty with trees and shrubs on 1 side & front and a drop of about 3 feet into the water on the other 2 sides. Focus's the mind on landing and departure.

Now looking to complete a R44 sign off in the next few weeks. After that I'll be available to anyone who need help aviating their R44's anywhere

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:16 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by YoYo » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:22 am

Hi JFH

I'm in the process of writing up my experiences of my month at Ocean. I'll forward it to Mark when its nearly ready for publishing and let him descide if the Irish Aviator would be interested in my exploits. On the R44 side I completed about 7 hours including my night requirements for the PPL(H). I basically ran out of time before I could complete my R44 endorsement ride. I'm in the process of trying to set one up in Ireland at the moment.

Davo2007
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Ocean

Post by Davo2007 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:58 pm

Hi Guys,

i also did my PPL in Ocean. they are a great bunch of guys there. Family run and owned and the craic is mighty!!

Yo Yo did you do your CPL there or just the PPL? i want to do my CPL now but the FAA to CAA can be tricky i beleive. have you had any issue?

DST

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:35 pm

YoYo, Congrats on your new licence. It is very much on my list of things to dow hen I have a few quid at some point.

Do you think you will be able to afford to use it much in the future?
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

tiny
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tiny » Thu May 17, 2007 11:58 am

Yo Yo / Dave
Im looking at going to Ocean in a few weeks to do my ppl(H) in a 300cbi,
Any heads up?????
What was it like??
Worth the money??

Have either of you had any problem renting when you got back with the FAA PPL(H)???

Thanks for all the help in advanced.....

Chers

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by YoYo » Fri May 18, 2007 9:56 am

Tiny

All in it cost me around ?11k including flights. I've written up my experiences so if you send me an email to the PM I responded yesterday I'll forward you on the document. It's 30 pages long. I've forwarded it to Mark who may publish it in FII.

I have not attempted to rent since returning. I'm getting a few circuits here and there

tiny
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tiny » Fri May 18, 2007 9:30 pm

YoYo

Thanks, Ive e-mailed you there now.

Chers

Tiny