Salthill static display area

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Salthill static display area

Post by hugoj_air » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:01 am

Can anyone tell me if the static helicopter display at Salthill Airshow
every year is at South Park Grattan Road. If not at South Park then where?

Hugo.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:25 pm

dunno the name,its the park next to the leisure centre wateryworldy thingy with slides!!!!
115 VAC @400Hz

Stephen_N
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Stephen_N » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:56 am

Hi Hugo,

That's just The Salthill Park. South Park, is further back the road to the east as you walk in twords town along the Promanade.
Stephen Naughton

hugoj_air
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hugoj_air » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:00 pm

Hi Dutch Roll and Stephen_N

Thanks to both of you for that. Got the location now.

Dutch you post only showed up with me this evening or
I would have replied sooner.

Hugo.

Lofty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Lofty » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:50 pm

How do the IAA sanction the Helicopters flying directly over the crowd to the static area at Salthill for the airshow.
I attended the airshow for the first time this year and was amazed to see a 40 year old single engined Helicopter from the Air Cor flying no more than 100ft on its final approach.
A engine failure would not allow for a proper auto rotation in a very tight area, this was also the opinion of a friend with me who has 20 years plus with the Royal Navy flying Helicopters. :?:

Sticksforward
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sticksforward » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:59 am

There was a debate about this before........ seems abit strange alright they allow this to happen when you consider the restrictions the iaa put on civilian types in and out of hotel sites etc! the Raddison in stillorgan in Dublin being a fine example and that had loads of room for run off and wouldnt have 100,000 people below it and they put a stop to that. I recall seeing a us army blackhawk making a very hairy attempt at a landing there a couple of years ago and considering the amount of people i am surprised they allow it.
Whatever about a twin but a single engined heli is a bit scary alright.

SF

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:54 am

Lofty wrote:How do the IAA sanction the Helicopters flying directly over the crowd to the static area at Salthill for the airshow.
I attended the airshow for the first time this year and was amazed to see a 40 year old single engined Helicopter from the Air Cor flying no more than 100ft on its final approach.
A engine failure would not allow for a proper auto rotation in a very tight area, this was also the opinion of a friend with me who has 20 years plus with the Royal Navy flying Helicopters. :?:

What height would you suggest he flew finals then? You should probably call the IAA and express your concerns, they'd love to hear from you.
Or perhaps they should just scrap the display. :roll:
Twins vs singles? Still only one main gear box, one main rotor, one tail rotor etc...

Lofty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Lofty » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:36 pm

:
Twins vs singles? Still only one main gear box, one main rotor, one tail rotor etc...[/quote]

2 engines though....better than 1 when it comes to engine failures over 100k people. :lol:

casper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by casper » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:15 am

I attended the show and tbh never even thought of the dangers :)

Vmax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Vmax » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:26 am

Military aircraft (Aer corp included) are not answerable to the IAA. :wink:

Lofty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Lofty » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:48 pm

Maybe in normal circumstances....but not at a airshow licensed by the iaa which includes public safety! :wink:

Vmax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Vmax » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:02 pm

"Engine failures over 100K people", bit of an exageration don't you think!! Believe it or not a heli will pass 100 ft on its final approach and everthing in between. How many engine failures have the A III's had in the last 40 years?I'm sure the safest route in and out was flown, maybe you know the opposite. As mentioned in a previous thread if its bothering you that much go and make a complaint to the IAA. They will only be too delighted to hear from you.