Dublin Heli-Routes

Here's a section for all our rotorheads, both helis and gyros!

Moderator: mark

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Dublin Heli-Routes

Post by Bladecrack » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:42 pm

It is looking like new Dublin Heli-Routes are to be introduced next year, probably to make life easier for ATC, although it could make commercial operations a bit awkward (photo jobs etc). Anyone got any views on this? do you think its a good or bad idea?

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:04 pm

Do you have any reference sources for this?

Views? If it means VFR corridors, i.e outside controlled airpsae, its a very good thing.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

aviateire
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by aviateire » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:18 pm

Please excuse my ignorance on VFR corridors but how do they work :? I trained in controlled airspace but never heard of them. Is it because I fly 'the plank' or Is it like SVFR since most VFR pilots aren't instrument rated? I dunno :)

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:19 pm

Its a channel or a tube/pipe of airspace that you can use to travel through a piece of controlled airspace so that ATC don't have to talk to you and vice versa. In the Dublin area it would also make life a lot easier as you wouldn't need to file a flight plan an hour before departure.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

strictlyrotary
Unverified User
Unverified User

Heli Routes

Post by strictlyrotary » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:36 am

Hi bladecrack, I think you should aim your questions at helicopter pilots (oh yes you did sorry). In which case, cosmic and aviateire please make sensible comments about a serious subject. The heli routes will be on a similar format to the London routes but the good news is they will be for professional pilots, so no private/student cowboys to upset ATC. All the best with the studying childeren, strictlyrotary

aviateire
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by aviateire » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:30 pm

Strictlyrotary,

I see your new to the forum today, welcome. Youv'e made a grand entrance. Am new enough to the forum too but had no where near as good as an entrance :lol: .
I may hold a PPL (A) but that doesn't automatically mean am not asking a genuine question. My post was strictly in interest to the new heli routes as I plan to go professional either in the rotary or fixed wing world with Ireland being my country of preference to work in after the long road of training but firstly it would be wise to consider my options especially if these heli-routes may make commercial operations difficult as Bladecrack has mentioned. A justifiable reason for posting I should think. Suggest swiftly moving back on topic....

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:49 pm

Strictlyrotary, Welcome to the forum and your first post. I am not sure why you felt the need to be so aggressive though?

I failed to see how my comments were not serious? I asked for a reference source, is there a written proposal online we could read or is it just rumour? Are they Heli only routes or VFR Corridors? Will they only be open to commercial operators? That would be a suprise since even the London Heli lanes are open to PPLs, granted some of the routes are for twins only, which I suppose would preclude most PPLs.

If you have more information please share it.

P.S You were never a student yourself then Strictlyrotary? Born with a CPL. Such an elitist attitude. :(

— Cecil Day Lewis

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Heliroutes over Dublin

Post by Biturbo » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Taking a legalistic viewpoint:

I would imagine that any routes would have to conform to the characteristics of the surrounding airspace. Last time I looked Dublin was Class C below the jetways, which would imply VFR allowed.

As another plank driver, I would also imagine that you would have to be able to land your single away from crowded areas, which effectively means you can't use it if it's low down (I don't see ATC sticking a wormhole through Dublin airspace above 2,000 ft).

So I can see any VFR corridors being restricted to twins and choppers as a design feature, but regardless of commercial status.

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:10 pm

To clarify guys, I understand the proposal is still at the consultation stage, with commercial operators and heli owners within the Dublin area. They will be VFR routes within the Dublin CTR, similar to London as Strictlyrotary says, usually on route altitudes in and around 1000 - 2000ft.

I dont think users will be exempt from filing a plan, (wishful thinking) however the use of the routes and standard VFR reporting points will make life a little easier for ATC, as the voulume of heli traffic has increased substantially in the Greater Dublin area with the explosion of new machines in Ireland. I understand there used to be old VFR routes around the city called the Victors. (old heli drivers like Strictlyrotary might remember them!)

Origionally the proposal was to ban ALL single engine aircraft within the M50 boundary!, which would certainly harm owners and operators in Dublin, but I believe a compromise has been found.

BCK

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:16 pm

As another plank driver, I would also imagine that you would have to be able to land your single away from crowded areas

I've often wondered the legalities of that. Take for example the routing of aircraft from Houston Station to the Pidgon Houses. Right over the most densely populated area at less then 1400 ft. Banning all Singles from inside the M50 would have serious implications.

— Cecil Day Lewis

FloppyStick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Heli lanes

Post by FloppyStick » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:23 pm

Hi guys I'm fairly new to the forum but have heard a bit more about the heli lanes

Yes they are to help alleviate traffic as stated before and to bare some resemblance to the London helilanes. The purpose really is to have more control over the large influx of rotary coming into the country.

As you can appreciate this is meant to help all from private to professional and to ease air traffic's mind about possible runway infringements on inbound/outbound tracks ie if we all follow designated land markings, for instance the N3, using right hand side rule then even in bad weather there should be little conflict especially with reporting points added enroute (N3 only :shock: as an example). The problem at the moment is that there are no defined routes from 1 way point to the next and so you could find head on situations more common along with the fact that if air traffic only wants 1 to hold at Ballymon Flats the next is at Heuston Station or the Chimneys - not an ideal place for a single to hold!

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Heli lanes

Post by Biturbo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:33 am

FloppyStick wrote:....if air traffic only wants 1 to hold at Ballymon Flats the next is at Heuston Station or the Chimneys - not an ideal place for a single to hold!

for those of you new to the forum, here's why:
http://www.aaiu.ie/AAIUviewitem.asp?id= ... G&loc=1280

mini
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mini » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:55 pm

Can someone update on the current situation?

Thanks

Bladecrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bladecrack » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Mini,

Last time I asked (about a month ago) there was no news. All still in the hands of ATC Dublin/I.A.A. :?

Regards,
BC.

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:14 pm

The N/S heliroute along the M! does seem a little chaotic there seems to be little or no lateral separation overhead Balrothery .Dub ctz1500