Canadian Flying Schools?
  • Chaos
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Canadian Flying Schools?

by Chaos » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:08 pm

Given the fact the Canadian $ exchange rate is more generous than the US $ exchange rate, has anybody got any personal experiences of doing PPL(A) and upwards in Canada?

Can anybody recommend a good place to do training in or around Toronto?

Thanks,

Chaos
  • incisor
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by incisor » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:52 pm

Can't comment on Toronto schools, but have heard some really bad reports on a school associated with a certain "training college" which banner advertises on this site.
  • Cosmic
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Cosmic » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:03 pm

Well go on then, spill the beans! Although I have to say that saying PTC is associated with Monckton is a pretty strained link. Its like saying they are related when they are 3rd cousins twice removed.
    We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis
  • Chaos
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Chaos » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:04 am

I did a Pprune search but only a few threads returned on the Canadian front. I'm surprised other pilots haven't coped onto to chasing hours building or training at countries with more favourable exchange rates and crisp clear met conditions. I'll continue digging . . .

PM me with those 'issues' you are alleging re certain outfit with connections to a Canadian outfit.

Cheers,

Chaos
  • 1800-how'smyflying
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by 1800-how'smyflying » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:55 pm

incisor, check your PM's.

Chaos, if you got a PM from incisor can you PM me to hear what was said, I'm going to be heading out to Canada the end of the month for a CPL and IR,

cheers, 1800
  • Chaos
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Chaos » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:36 pm

haven't heard a word yet.

Where are you doing your training in Canada, any chance you could post their website?

Enjoy Canada, very warm over there right now !!!
  • incisor
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by incisor » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:35 pm

Ok, as it seems that some schools believe that they can get away with pretty much anything, this is a summary of things heard (and I paraphrase from some more colourful language)

1. You cannot believe or trust much that you read on their web-site, or that you are told, either as part of the sales pitch, or in response to your directed enquiries

2. On-site management is either absent or couldn't care less when confronted

3. Instruction reflects accordingly, is poor and inept.

4. Non-new aircraft are well beyond their sell by date, and worse than most in this country (now that's saying something!)

5. Local accommodation is poor

6. If there during winter you can bank on not flying for days or weeks at a time

7. The JAA course has a history of departees due to dissatisfaction

So, consider these things very carefully. If you are a true wannabee, then maybe you will put up with this. Or then again, maybe you will find somewhere more reputable to spend your hard come-by cash.
    Last edited by incisor on Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Chaos
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Chaos » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:01 pm

Incisor, hear ye loud'n'clear. But I suppose you are gonna get places being below average, you just gotta have your eyes wide open.

Other than the negatives, do you know either first hand or from others of any training facilities in or around Toronto that are worth surfing.

Pprune got a few threads but nothing specifically for Toronto / Ontario area. Anybody wanna pitch in? Might fire a posting on Pprune aswell . . .

Cheers,

Chaos :roll:
  • 1800-how'smyflying
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by 1800-how'smyflying » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:31 pm

The school I am looking at is in Moncton Intl Airport Choas, near Halifax, here's their site.

http://www.mfc.nb.ca/euro.aspx
  • Chaos
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Chaos » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:41 pm

Oshawa Municipal Airport has two flying schools operating. Oshawa Municipal Airport is about the size of Baldonnel. Bizjets, light cargo, air taxi and GA make up the traffic. Oshawa is east of downtown Toronto along the 401 highway. Oshawa itself is a small town about the size of Waterford or Tullamore situated 45 mins. drive from downtown Toronto.

For anybody interested in getting more bang for your buck, the ? exchange rate to Can$ is better than US$, weather is as good as in USA.

Here are a few useful sites detailing the airport, the flying schools, at the Oshawa tourism website detailing accommodation nearby and recreational amenities, etc.

http://www.oshawa-airport.com/

http://www.flighttraining.org/
    http://www.durhamflightcentre.com/main.asp

http://www.oshawa.ca/tourism/tourism.asp

If your feed-up of the rip-off charges from Irish flying schools, take a look at the above sites, reasonable prices, great country, almost guaranteed weather, favourable foreign exchange rate - its just another option you might wanna give a second thought towards . . . I am !!!
  • 1800-how'smyflying
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

copy and paste??

by 1800-how'smyflying » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:35 pm

incisor looks like a blatant copy and paste job to me

http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread ... did=185637

so have you any first hand experience with the school?
    Last edited by 1800-how'smyflying on Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Clrd2Land
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Re: copy and paste??

by Clrd2Land » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:37 pm

1800-how'smyflying wrote:incisor looks like a blatant copy and paste job to me

http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?

And your point? He's still relaying information on the subject.
  • 1800-how'smyflying
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by 1800-how'smyflying » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:42 pm

well its not really a point more of a question. I'm about to spend alot of money with the school and I am curious if incisor has had any first hand experience with them or if he has just read it on pprune, because if that is the case, well at least its a story only coming from one person.

Anyway people coping and pasting other peoples postings should specify so and not claim its their own.

So that was pretty much the point alright mate?
  • Clrd2Land
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Clrd2Land » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:58 pm

1800-how'smyflying wrote:well its not really a point more of a question. I'm about to spend alot of money with the school and I am curious if incisor has had any first hand experience with them or if he has just read it on pprune, because if that is the case, well at least its a story only coming from one person.

Anyway people coping and pasting other peoples postings should specify so and not claim its their own.

So that was pretty much the point alright mate?

incisor wrote:Ok, as it seems that some schools believe that they can get away with pretty much anything, this is a summary of things heard (and I paraphrase from some more colourful language)

Maybe you should learn to read before posting. He never claimed it as his own "work", he said it's what he heard.
  • Leonidas
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Re: Canadian Flying Schools?

by Leonidas » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:01 am

Chaos wrote:Given the fact the Canadian $ exchange rate is more generous than the US $ exchange rate, has anybody got any personal experiences of doing PPL(A) and upwards in Canada?

Can anybody recommend a good place to do training in or around Toronto?

Thanks,

Chaos

Well, I am just about finished my PPL in Canada, and the cost for a 152 is 96 CAD + 7% GST, per hour. Not sure how that compares to Ireland.