PPL training
  • Ohallod
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

PPL training

by Ohallod » Mon May 03, 2021 1:04 pm

Hi all,

I’d appreciate some advice about PPL training. Without meaning to be too specific, I have completed groundschool and taken <10 lessons with a flying school. The training is good, but the cost of the training is beginning to bother me. I was quoted an hourly flying charge (which is fairly expensive relative to flying clubs locally) and the charge is often exceeded when the airfield is busy and landing is delayed by waiting for landing slots etc. Briefings are really adding to the cost of each lesson also.
    I’m just wondering, given that all approved organisations train students to EASA standards, would it be worthwhile looking into training with a flying club instead, which would be much more affordable? I would like to fly commercially eventually - do the airlines pay any heed to where someone has completed their PPL? In other words, would it hinder my prospects down the line if I obtain my PPL through a club rather than a school?
    I’d appreciate all and any perspectives on this.
    Thanks!
    mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: PPL training

by mark » Wed May 05, 2021 10:00 pm

Hi Ohallod,

Welcome to the forum.
    I’m just wondering, given that all approved organisations train students to EASA standards, would it be worthwhile looking into training with a flying club instead, which would be much more affordable?
    This answer will vary from person to person but I generally tell people the following. If you're trying to get your licence done as quickly as possible, then go to a school. They're generally set up to operate 7 days per week and will have a fleet of aircraft so if one goes tech, it won't make a huge impact on your progress towards a PPL.

On the other hand, if budget is your primary concern then I would recommend a club. This is generally because most clubs are run on a voluntary basis and therefore have lower overheads and lower operating / aircraft rental costs. The trade-off here is that if they only have 1 aircraft and it needs maintenance or repair then that would seriously impact on your progress. Clubs don't always offer instruction 7 days per week so you may need to match your availability with that of an instructor.

Realistically most people will fall in between the two so you will have to ask yourself whether you're prepared to take some delays in your training to save some money or whether you would like to get it done as soon as possible but pay a premium for it.
    I would like to fly commercially eventually - do the airlines pay any heed to where someone has completed their PPL? In other words, would it hinder my prospects down the line if I obtain my PPL through a club rather than a school?
    In my experience not really. The big focus these days is where you did your CPL/MEIR (you'll need a flight school report) and where you did your MCC or APS MCC. The PPL is fairly academic in the overall scheme of things however I know some airlines don't like when students jump between lots of different schools - particularly mid-course.
    I’d appreciate all and any perspectives on this.
    Me too! Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Regards,
    Mark