CPL Exam Validity for FI Rating
  • ois
    Verified User
    Verified User

CPL Exam Validity for FI Rating

by ois » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Hi all,

I'm considering starting the CPL theory exams as my main goal in flying is to gain an instructor rating. I don't foresee myself completing the FIC itself for at least another two years but like many others working in aviation I currently have an abundance of time. My interpretation of Part-FCL is that there is no need for the CPL exams to be valid (eg. 36 months for CPL issue), just completed.

FCL.915.FI

(2) hold at least a PPL(A) and have:
    (i) met the requirements for CPL theoretical knowledge, except for an FI(A) providing
    training for the LAPL(A) only

Is my interpretation correct? Seems pretty straightforward but would be interested to know if anyone has personal experience with this.

Cheers
    mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: CPL Exam Validity for FI Rating

by mark » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi Ois,

I would agree with your interpretation - I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had a differing opinion? Just note that the wording of FCL.915.FI was updated recently and it now says:
    (2) hold at least a PPL(A) and have:
    (i) except for an FI(A) providing training for the LAPL(A) only, passed the CPL
    theoretical knowledge examination, which may be taken without completing a CPL
    theoretical knowledge training course and which shall not be valid for the issue of
    a CPL; and
    (ii) completed at least 200 hours of flight time on aeroplanes or TMGs, of which 150
    hours as PIC;
    It makes no difference to your query, but it will allow you to self-study for the exams. If this is the case, they won't be subsequently accepted for a CPL.

Is there a place you plan to instruct after you get your FI? If so, you should ask them if they offer the LAPL licence. If they did you can instruct for that without CPL knowledge. 98+% of General Aviation aircraft in Ireland can be flown on a LAPL. I really don't know why most people are still training for a PPL. I would invest your money (and time now) in getting a good quality instructor rating as this will stand to you more than doing CPL exams to meet the requirements of instructing for a PPL. If you subsequently did the CPL exams, you could then instruct for PPL.

Regards,
    Mark
    Regards,
    Mark Dwyer
    www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
    FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information
  • ois
    Verified User
    Verified User

by ois » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:05 pm

Hi Mark,

Great to hear you can now self-study for the CPL theory, makes sense if you're not actually going to gain a CPL out of it! I'd plan on instructing at my local club. Offering the LAPL isn't such a bad idea. Besides, if students are going on to ATPL level they can always upgrade to PPL afterwards.

Brgds,
    Oisín
  • OnTheNumbers
    Verified User
    Verified User

by OnTheNumbers » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:40 pm

Thanks for that Mark, I'd missed the change to allow self study but as you say the LAPL serves most peoples purposes !
    OnTheNumbers
    -------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.clearofcloud.ie
    @clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram
    mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by mark » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:50 am

Another option that was pointed out to me recently is to do the FAA CPL theory exam and this will satisfy the requirement also. I understand all the questions are published and you can do it over a weekend!

The requirement to have CPL knowledge to instruct for a PPL is actually an ICAO requirement that is just mirrored in the EASA rules, therefore a CPL knowledge qualification from any ICAO contracting state will meet this requirement.
  • ois
    Verified User
    Verified User

by ois » Wed May 12, 2021 7:25 pm

Re: FAA CPL exam for EASA FIC. I queried this with the IAA and got this reply today:

3rd country theoretical knowledge examinations are not accepted. The required theoretical knowledge examinations are those passed in accordance with 1178/2011 as amended Annex I Part-FCL.

Disappointing as I quite fancied a holiday to the states to knock out the CPL exam. Looks like I'll be spending that money on Padpilot instead!
    mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by mark » Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 pm

Good to know thanks for the update! Enjoy Padpilot :?
  • drago
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by drago » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:08 pm

If you read the EASA regulation, you will discover something incredible: you can be a FI for a ppl student without a FI rating.

You can be an instructor with just a PPL license if you train a PPL student but nobody will hire you because they do not trust you...