Starting My PPL
  • MrBreenHD
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Starting My PPL

by MrBreenHD » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:25 pm

Hello! so Last summer I went flying In Weston done 2 sessions instructors were really nice and I enjoyed every moment.
    So I have 2 Quick qustions
    1. Whats my next move? Do I just continue doing Lessons when do I do my ground school?
    2. What would you recommend to get? I have a Log Book I have 152 checklist from WST and I also have Air Pilots Manual 1 from pooley's is there anything else people would recommend to get or be aware of?

mark
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Starting My PPL

by mark » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi MrBreenHD,

Yes just continue your lessons. I'd recommend starting your groundschool around the time you go solo, although this will really depend on the pace of your training. Once you start the exams, you will need to complete them all with 18 months, and then you must pass your PPL flight test within 24 months of passing your last exam.

I'd recommend doing a medical, you'll need a Class 2 if you just want to fly privately. If you're planning on going commercial in the future then do a Class 1. You'll need a medical before you can go solo. I'd recommend the rest of the Air Pilots Manual range as these will cover the areas that will be covered in ground school. There are some other bits and pieces you'll need along the way, a map, a CRP1 flight computer, Nav ruler and protractor etc. A headset is optional but I'd recommend one.

Hope this helps.

Mark
    Regards,
    Mark Dwyer
    www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
    FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information
  • martins
    Verified User
    Verified User

Re: Starting My PPL

by martins » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:52 am

check with your ground school provided what items you need before going on spending money. Some schools only ask you to buy books 1 to 4. Those Pooleys books are not exactly brilliant so I wouldn't be surprised if some schools would prefer going in another direction. Although books 1 and 2 are ok, the others go on endlessly repeating themselves. You could condense books 3 to 7 in one book if you take all the repetitive sentences and white noise out

other than that, as Mark said, go and get that medical, that should be your priority.

Depending on your time line, most people dedicate summer months for flying and winter months for studying ground school. I wouldn't worry too much about the theory bits just yet, but do read that first book, it's an easy evening read