1st lesson felt sick

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

dreamer_757
Unverified User
Unverified User

1st lesson felt sick

Post by dreamer_757 »

please tell me im not the only one who felt sick on a first lesson,this is so disappointng,had my first lesson today in 3 years and have only flown twice before,i have dreams of flying commercially but now im afraid i wont be able to,it jus felt so uncomfortable today,and i did quite well too,wat can i do,everybody jus be honest

thanks
whos bad?

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

Don't worry about it. I felt sick on my first few lessons, and I am about to start flying Commercially.

Flying in light aircraft is a whole new environment. It starts with you squeezing into a tiny cockpit. Then there is the shocking amount of Noise and vibration. There is this clamp on your head called a Headset which you sure is there to give you a migrane, and which doesn't seem to be actually making much difference to the noise level. Even the smells are alien. Throw in some G forces in turns and all the new types of motions, coupled with your stomach being in knots anyway with the excitement, and you've got a good receipe for motion sickness. I think some instructors don't remember their first flights as vividly as I do, and forget to take it easy with the bank angles!

As you become less of a passenger on your next lesson and start to get a feel for the airplane, I have every confidence that you will not be bothered by this. I used to Sail yachts, and the best cure for someone who was seasick was to not let them sit down and feel sorry for themselves. I would get them to steer the boat, and it was a great cure. So be active, get your hands on and the next thing you know you'll be on your checkride for your PPL. Best of luck.

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

Get used to the plane- hop in and out of it if you can (When on the ground that is,) get used to the environment of the wind rushing around you and the sudden drops after take off

It happens if you dont fly enough :?

And it only happens me when flying on a 757/a320

dreamer_757
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dreamer_757 »

thanks for the help,im goin up again today at 3:30pm, could it possibly be because its a grob 115 that im training in?its jus i was up in a piper cherokee before and it didnt happen,im jus puzzled and i hope it doesnt keep happenein to me,should i be training in a cessna or a cherokee instead?
whos bad?

danelane2000
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by danelane2000 »

Hey There,

I can remember my first flight, it was an introductory and i admit i felt a small bit "iffy". But you do get used to it , just like everything really.

I dont think it might be the fact that its the grob, though when i started training in a G115 i didnt feel sick, the only thing i didnt like about it is that its a B*tch to land!
Btw just as a matter of interest where do you train?

EDIT: i notice from your other post:
hey all,im 21 years old and have a good bit of experience in the aviation industry,having got my first flying lesson at 16 i fell in love with flying,but since then ive only had 3 more lessons.i worke ...

I thought u said above was your first lesson?

Regards,
Patrick
Cork Live Director,
www.cork-live.com

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Honestly I've never felt sick in an aircraft; I've been endowed with an anti-nauseous stomach :] I do know that feeling sick in an airplane - especially in light aircraft - is a common complaint. You're thrown around alot more in a Piper than a 737. Just like everything else, your body builds up a resistance to it - your brain learns to ignore the movements of the aircraft which are caused by windshear and turbulence and so on. My best advice is, while you grow accustomed to flying, tighten your stomach muscles - it stalls the queasy feeling. Don't let feeling sick ever come between you and flying.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Macnas
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: 1st lesson felt sick

Post by Macnas »

dreamer_757 wrote:please tell me im not the only one who felt sick on a first lesson,this is so disappointng,had my first lesson today IN 3 YEARS and have only flown twice before,i have dreams of flying commercially but now im ........

:roll:

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL »

8) Stay AWAY for the frying pan and if the condition persists take
seasickness pills.Fly on a light stomach and bring a large sickbag.
Look away from the panel and the FI.Do not take alchohol the night
before.Have a loose collar.Stay calm or failing all this fly Microsoft. Be
cheerfull , :lol: nerves are your worst enemy. 8)

flygirl88
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by flygirl88 »

don't worry about it too much, i'm pretty sure that everyone gets airsick from time to time, i know i certainly have felt sick at times in the air - everyone has bad days. i've heard stories about instructors getting sick - whilst flying straight and level!! so don't stress too much about it - try to forget all about it and just fly the plane - you'll feel much better if you're not expecting to feel bad, if you know what i mean. good luck with it all, i'm sure you'll feel better once you've got used to the whole experience. :D

TolTol
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TolTol »

Hey man dont worry about it. I felt sick on my first few flying lessons and I was really pissed with myself. So I just stuck at it and got used to it. Dont feel sick anymore...although if I havent been flying in a while I might feel a little "iffy" but I dont mind it and it doesnt put me off.

Keep at it and dont leave much of a gap between flights, try to go up at least once a week and you should get used to it.

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

Never felt sick in a light aircraft, except for the time I was returning (in the back of a Cub) from a particularly heavy night in the pub. Oooer!

I did feel light headed on my first flight though. But then it was literally my first ever flight and I have felt, not sick but a kind of 'I wish I was on the ground' feeling in hot bumpy conditions.

Keep up the flying, don't let it put you off. Many pilots do feel sick at first but go on to have long careers. I also suggest taking several flights close together to get used to the feeling. Another point is that the first lesson is really more of a joyride than anything else. Subsequent lessons are more hard work and you will be concentrating so much you won't have time to think of being sick.

Good luck.

seamus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by seamus »

I know it's no help but I've never felt sick flying and I've been up in some difficult times but I do feel sick on a boat.
Maybe it's something to do with the horizon.

Shey,
Thruster T300

Mark N
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mark N »

I'm starting what will hopefully be the road to being an airline pilot next Wed with an intro flight too and am reading this thread carefully!!! :oops:

Never felt sick on Airbuses, 737s or 747s and I've flown to NZ and back so I've been in the air a long time so I'm hoping I will be the same in the light aircraft.

The Termignator
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by The Termignator »

Many above posts have covered the basics but I advise extreme caution about taking ANY kind (be it for seasickness or whatever) of medication prior to flight.

It woudn't be any harm to mention the fact that you were uncomfortable to your instructor. He/she should be in the best position to advise you on the correct course of action to take.

dreamer_757
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dreamer_757 »

hey all,,,, well since this post i havent been training AT ALL :( , im really frustrated because i have such a love for flying and the only thing thats stopping me is the feeling im gonna bloody puke :oops: , i wanna to a full time course 0-atpl with ptc in waterford but yet again all this is on my mind,, its probably just the nerves of thinking im gonna be sick or whatever but i really wanna put a stop to it... im 23 now and feel i mite run out of time if i put if all of just coz i dont wanna be sick for half an hour

any suggestions???

thanks to all that reply
whos bad?