ATC Training SNN

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

OK!

Post by Lambada Crazy »

Yes i am very happy with our controlling, its MUCH easier than cork and weston for the simple reason that there is rarely anyone in the circuit.
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty »

But that means in Cork you have to LISTEN to whats happening and trains you to have a good ear for R/T. What use is it if you da all your training somewhere there's no traffic and go to a big airport on x-country and get your head done in by all the constant babble :?: :shock:
Regards,
Aidan

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

Frosty wrote:But that means in Cork you have to LISTEN to whats happening and trains you to have a good ear for R/T. What use is it if you da all your training somewhere there's no traffic and go to a big airport on x-country and get your head done in by all the constant babble :?: :shock:

True point there. How bout the practise of switching to a quiet frequency? I know its a criticised practise....it works !

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

For all those interesting in becoming an ATCO:

VATSIM is a great tool to get to know Air Traffic Control. It is all simulated by "pilots" sitting at home on their flight sims flying online.

http://www.vatsim.net

PS: Excuse the size of the pics, I have a dual monitor setup for my ATC

danelane2000
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by danelane2000 »

Yes, VATSIM is a very good way of getting to know ATC. I thourouly (sp) enjoy it. Btw you can see me in one of the pics :D with the callsign FUA251! :lol:
Cork Live Director,
www.cork-live.com

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

Try having 1 inbound 10 while 2 inbound 28 and a third too high for the VORDME 34!

GLEX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GLEX »

EI-WAT wrote:
EI717 wrote:EI-WAT i seriously doubt they will be taking on controllers anytime soon
, they basically screwed the last class of cadets they employed, left them go half way through their training, some went abroad to south africa working and the rest of the class stayed at home and went back to their old jobs, i think now that they may be back training now 2 years after they were let go, i also emailed the iaa bout the possibility of recruiting a class anytime soon but they responded that no class will be recruited for the foreseeable future.

Thats where your wrong as i know 1 person from the last class who is working in eiwf

Eiwat even though you know a person in the class,it is 6 or more months on and there is still no signs of recruitment.As far as I know the class that stayed are now back over a year now,while the controllers that went abroad to South Africa are still there for another year or 2.I know someone who is interested and that enquired about recruiment and The HR department indicated that they have no plans to hire for the next 2 or 3 years.In fact Ireland is only one of the few countries that have enough Atc's,almost every other country are short :!:

hc77
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hc77 »

Yo Rallye EI-BFP

Apply to Eurocontrol in Maastricht if you dont mind living in Holland. You just basically need resonable Leaving Cert results. They will pay for your flights and accomodation for all the stages in the selection process. I went last year and got to the final interview stage and then messed up my interview and didnt get it! You have to go through a day long seris of hard apptitude testing, then if your sucessful at that you will be invited back over again for another round of testing, this time group work eg making flight plans together etc. If your sucessful at that they will ask you back again for a final interview. Along with your application you have to submit an eyetest as well. All these can be downloaded from their website

http://www.eurocontrol.int/corporate/pu ... s_atc.html

Also you could apply to the UK. Go onto the NATS website

http://natscareers.co.uk/indexfs.asp?id=2006128

Their apptitude testing is a bit easier and you apply online. Initially you have to take an online numerical test which is quite difficult but their apptitude testing is not as hard as Eurocontols. They will not pay for flights or accomodation.

Both of these constantly recruit and if you meet the minimum standards you should be called over.

As for failure rates. After getting offered a place as a student ATCO with Eurocontrol I think only 40-60% of students get through the training. With NATS its a lot higher about 80% get through the training. However only about 4% of people who apply get accepted as a student ATCO.

If you ever do apply and want more detail on the selection process PM me and ill go into more detail. Good luck!

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

Hi hc77,

Thanks for the info, appriciated. When should one apply for this, say 5th year or sixth year or whenever? What age do they start taking applicants at?

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll »

19 is the minimum age,with minimum C3 in at least two higher level subjects and the rest passes,a college qualification is a huge help,saw the last bunch of graduates a few years back,im fairly certain they ALL had been to college and in mid to late 20's.give lillian cassan in the IAA a buzz theyl send you out a very good info pack and add your name to a database so when theyre recruiting they'l give u a buzz and you'l know first.
115 VAC @400Hz

hc77
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hc77 »

I disagree with needing a college qualification. There're looking to see if you have the right skills and motivation to do the job and you can show them this through the apptitude tests and interviews.

For NATS I think you can apply in 6th year just before you do your Leaving Cert but for Eurocontrol I think you have to be 19.

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

I have a friend training for Eurocontrol, he sounds happy with them.

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

I see you have to be a member of the Eurocontrol 6 member states, do they stick rigidly to that?

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll »

i said college is a huge help,not needed,however one of the lads told me most of his class went to college.
115 VAC @400Hz

hc77
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hc77 »

Eurocontrol have about 30 member states if not more. Most countries in Europe are members.