My 3rd hour.. (No sniggering!)
  • -Al-
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by -Al- » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:20 pm

im doing my PPL now but hope to go on for the cpl, should I get one of the big log books? i have a small one, and am only about 4 pages in, I said it to my instructor and he said not to bother and wait till its complete, but if its a good idea to use a large one, now would be the time to transfer all the entries before it gets too full.

what do you think?
    --- "Hey there blimpy boy, flying so high and fancy free" --- Homer Simpson
  • 1800-how'smyflying
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

logbook

by 1800-how'smyflying » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:50 pm

Al - if I were you I'd change it now. I did it after I had 12 hours and decided to go for CPL, transfered everything across in one night, now I have a big log book with all my training hours in it, and if I ever get to an airline I'll start a new one again.

Good luck, 1800.
  • MCRO
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by MCRO » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:53 pm

JAR Pilots Logbooks

I bought and now use one

I find the width of Departure and arrival columns very inadequate - easily retrievablefrom Aircraft and PIC

Maurice
  • -Al-
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by -Al- » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:09 am

Thanks , I must get one when I get back from holidays so, before I have to copy a whole book over.
  • incisor
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by incisor » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:39 am

What exactly is the benefit of "big" logbook, if your existing one is JAR compliant?

If you are copying your entries to a new one, do you not also need to get all the instructor signatures again?

How easy is it to carry around an A4 sized brick?
  • ei6265
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by ei6265 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:09 pm

Hey guys,

I just had my first lesson at Weston on Monday. :lol: Ive a tiny bit of experience, 1 hr at Weston (introductory flight 2 years ago) and 1hr 30mins in an Islander :)

Anyhow, I was thrown right into it on Monday as I (my instructor could tell too) knew a bit more than people usually starting out. What I really enjoyed about it was he didn't treat me like at idiot saying "Ok, this is called the A L T I M E T E R" but instead told me to tell him what everything was and what they did. After doing the checklist, we had to taxi. Honestly when I applied the throttle at first I didnt expect it to go so fast (although really it was slow) and I felt I was gona whack into the aircraft ahead of me on the grass and get a hefty bill. Strangely enough, we were told to cross 25 and use the North taxiway to the HP.

I can honestly say I have the problem hibby once had - I cannot taxi in a straight line! :lol: :D

We then went out to Mullingar and did turns (still need to grasp them [30* :( ), climbs, level flight and stalls! Probably the best thing about my lesson is I was allowed do the radio! (hours upon hours of flying / controlling online have certainly come in useful!) That was probably the highlight of my lesson.

Overall, I was overwhelmed by how much and how quickly my instructor got me into things (correct me if Im wrong but usually on the 1st lesson they dont let the students do stalls or radio do they? :? ). I also got a 15min debrief (also got a pre-briefing) and when leaving they suggested moving down to Waterford for my training.

I know the circuit thing at Weston is a big let-down for training, but besides that is there any other reasons why Waterford would be better?

Needless to say I went home with a very big smile on my face. I really cannot wait to fly again, I just need to find a way to get the money! :roll:

Blue skies!

Daryl
  • -Al-
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by -Al- » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:26 pm

ei6265 wrote:I just need to find a way to get the money! :roll:

welcome to the club :lol:

Seriosly, well done on the flight, you enjoyed yourself anyway, the 'smile' ,im sure we all have them :D

It shows that flight sim can be good for some things anyway.

---------------------------------------

as regards the logbook, 2 reasons, 1/ my current log book is messy and my dumbass self spilled a drink on it in the car on the way home, thankfully didnt touch any of the used pages though, and 2/ Id rather have one that will hold more entries in it.

for carrying it around, I find the small one just as annoying, too big for pockets unless im wearing cargo/combat trousers, which i dont, and they dont fit too well into jean pockets :lol:
  • 1800-how'smyflying
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by 1800-how'smyflying » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:01 pm

incisor wrote:
    If you are copying your entries to a new one, do you not also need to get all the instructor signatures again?

In my case I found that because I did the transfer before my PPL, once my CFI signed the logbook before I sent it to the CAA, everything was valid, so I didn't need to chase people for a signature, thats why its best to do it now.

The "A4 bricks" aren't too bad in the flight bag, don't even notice it, plus they are alot better as I found my smaller log book feel apart very easily.
  • MCRO
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by MCRO » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:37 pm

Just a little intrigued by "All the instructor signatures"

You have your book to sign : Instructor has his/hers

Licensing Orders have always clearly specificed where and when Instructor must make a signed entry in Students' Logbook

These requirements seem to have migrated elsewhere in JAR/FCL

Have I missed a further requirement in place of those

Maurice
  • hibby
    Verified User
    Verified User

by hibby » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:07 pm

ei6265 wrote:Anyhow, I was thrown right into it on Monday as I (my instructor could tell too) knew a bit more than people usually starting out. What I really enjoyed about it was he didn't treat me like at idiot

[...]

We then went out to Mullingar and did turns (still need to grasp them [30* :( ), climbs, level flight and stalls! Probably the best thing about my lesson is I was allowed do the radio! (hours upon hours of flying / controlling online have certainly come in useful!) That was probably the highlight of my lesson.

Overall, I was overwhelmed by how much and how quickly my instructor got me into things (correct me if Im wrong but usually on the 1st lesson they dont let the students do stalls or radio do they? :? ).

It sounds like your first "real" lesson at Weston was a really good experience. It shows that they take a flexible attitude - they tailor the lesson to the abilities of the student. It really is surprising though that you were doing stall training on your first time out. I had a formal long briefing and was told to read the relevant chapter of the book before my first stall training.

I'm a bit embarrassed now to say, I approached the start of my flying training with a slightly arrogant attitude that I knew more than the average beginner, and the idea that a lot of the material covered in the ground briefs would be so elementary for me as to be almost a waste of time. I very quickly learned how wrong I was! I guess almost everyone who comes to learn to fly has some previous interest in flying, has played around with Flight Simulator, etc., and has a reasonable amount of theoretical knowledge.
  • -Al-
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by -Al- » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:51 pm

I was similar enough, one of my instructors used flight sim and we were talkin about it, turns out he had downloaded most of the choppers I made for it, but I didnt want to have them, say, skip things, just assuming because I used FS that I would know it.

I picked up some bad habits from FS, which took me a while to shake but while its not perfect, it is pretty good, was able to do a pretty good hover in my first hour thanks to it.

For things like radio it must be great for, you'll have to help me set up that vatsim thing Daryl ;)
  • ei6265
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by ei6265 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:45 pm

:lol: no problem Al

The worst habit I've taken from FS is looking at the instruments. My instructor kept having to tell me to watch outside, and the nose of the plane when climbing / turning / descending.

hibby, I think I might have that arrogant attittude too, but I knew at the end of the lesson that I didn't know as much as I had thought i had!

Cheers,

Daryl