theory study technique

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

martins
Verified User
Verified User

theory study technique

Post by martins » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:43 pm

Hi All,

my ground school is about to start soon, the school is aiming to prepare everyone for the sitting that takes place at the end of March. I have all the Trevor Thom books (latest edition from pooleys), I've completed some of them already, started looking into AirQuiz and some other mock exams - turns out nothing's sticking! I can do navigation and other subjects that involves maths/logic just fine, but things like Air Law, Procedures, HP simply wont stick.

Obviously the panic mode is on. What is the usual technique for students to tackle theory? Do you make sure you know most of the theory before groundschool begins and use the school simply to revise on subjects or should you go to ground school as a blank page, knowing bare minimum hopping that you will get the entire exam syllabus in your head before the exam date? How does one plough through 7 books in a few weeks time and remembers all of it?

Arrow
Verified User
Verified User

Re: theory study technique

Post by Arrow » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:35 pm

Just lots and lots of studying. I done the groundschool in two weeks and sat the exams the following Friday. I studied flat out for a week during evenings and breaks at work. Remember to take good notes during the groundschool, they'll help you during your own study. I found air law the trickiest, I would recommend the irish air law book by captain John swan, I found it more helpful than the AFE textbook I was using.