CAA Exams

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

CAA Exams

Post by Mark H » Thu May 12, 2005 8:39 pm

Is there anywhere in ireland that we can sit the CAA PPL exams? I am planning on going to USA to do the full course and would prefer to be in a position to come home with a licence preferably in the minimum time.

All advice is to get the exams done beforehand. All the schools over there that run JAA courses are CAA.

Thanks

Mark

incisor
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by incisor » Sat May 14, 2005 4:56 pm

Belfast Flying Club?

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C » Sun May 15, 2005 9:29 pm

If you get a CAA licence in the US is there any problem transfering it to an IAA Licence?? Or are there any potential problems operating EI reg aircraft with a UK licence?

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Mark H » Mon May 16, 2005 11:58 am

There is no problem getting the CAA licence for use in Ireland because it is a JAR Licence. Once it is a Jar Licence it can be used in any JAR country. The only problem is that all courses in the USA are CAA JAR and therefore it is best to have all the writtens done before going over as then you can concentrate only on flying. In my case it means that I would be in a better position to complete the course in a limited time.

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C » Mon May 16, 2005 8:15 pm

Hi Mark
Thanks for clearing that up. Where in the US are you thinking of going. I am looking at going to Orlando Flight Training in September. I emailed a gent yesterday and got a reply today with a lot of info. He recommended that the exams are finished before arriving in Florida. There is a website for their ground school pack: [www.afeonline.com]

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Regarding USA training

Post by Mark H » Mon May 16, 2005 10:59 pm

I have been talking to a few Places Including Naples Air Center and EFT (European flight training). They both sound professional in fact I would say that from talking with them they sound like they will get you through the course in maybe not in a flying club way but in a more formal way. I would say that it would not be a holiday when over there but you would come back with what you go over for.

EFT in particular seems to have a lot of familiarity with Irish students from what they seemed to know about flying in Ireland. They are completely up to date on Weston for example, my oner concern is their reputation with PPLs rather than ATPLs I understand that they tend to cover them more than us.

I would hope to travel in October, but will only have a couple of weeks. I already had the licence ( I let it Lapse) but am trying to see if I could get it back in less time there.

MArk

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Tue May 17, 2005 6:52 pm

:D For personal choice I think Malta or the Balaerics have excellent flight schools ,If you can't bear to see it through on home turf. GA just aint what it used to be pre Condie Rice . Check it out with the locals they are getting it in the neck these days . Take care .DEL 8)

Pontious
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Pontious » Sun May 29, 2005 6:05 am

Hi Mark,

Just found this site today, its really good!

Anyway I am in Florida training at the moment with Delta. There are three Irish guys here in total. We all did our CAA PPL here last summer and did the ground school in conjunction with the flying. If it had not been for four hurricanes we would have completed the PPL in 4 weeks thats including the groundschool, but with those delays it took 6 weeks.

The groundschool is not difficult and I found it easier to do while I was flying because I was practising the things I was reading about everyday. They are not that difficult I would think that after 10 days study of 2-3 hours a day you would be fine.

My advise to you would be to grill the groundschool that you are thinking about going to, some even offer to pay for a tour, because i know that after coming here we all incurred a lot of hidden expenses. Also with the TSA visas are becoming more difficult to come by, as far as I am aware they have stopped the J1 and you can only get an M1. this would mean that you could not teach as an instructor, just incase that is one of the points they are selling you.

When I came here I was a little wet behind the ears and we only found that there were alternative ways of training when it was too late. Everybody thinks that the US is much cheaper to train. For plane hire and fuel they are correct but there are so many extra costs!!!!

If I had my time back I would do my PPL in Ireland, either go to a top school in the UK (bristol) for the ATPL's or even better if you're diciplined enough distance learn. Check out www.bristol.gs I would only come to the US for my hour building and Multi CPL (that's where you make the saving)and then do the IR in England or Ireland

Its just an opinion take it as you will but I wish somebody told me this before I came. Hope it was of some help and good luck
Have the fokker in sight!