Class 1 Medical

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Class 1 Medical

Post by Mike C » Mon May 09, 2005 6:23 pm

Hi Guys,

Wish me luck for tommorrow, I have to be EXAMINED.......

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Mon May 09, 2005 8:16 pm

:D Best of luck!!! I just had my initial class 2 medical; freakin' hell... I feel violated, so I can't even imagine what a Class 1 would be like!!!
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Tue May 10, 2005 6:33 pm

:( Where did you go and?euro. Violated maybe i'll just stick to ultralights and EG........ :(

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C » Tue May 10, 2005 9:38 pm

Good news

I was given a provisional Pass pending the results of EEG and Blood work.

I have to admit it was very daunting, a special Thank You to the wonderful nurses who were in charge of the various tests in the Mater Private. They answered all my questions and calmed me down.

I should also apologise to the multitude of professional pilots from Ryanair, Aer Lingus, City Jet and Executive Helicopters who I pestered and annoyed for information and feedback while waiting. Sorry guys, but thanks for the info.

It was great to hear too that a renewal will not cost the E604 that the initial did.

-Al-
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by -Al- » Wed May 11, 2005 1:56 pm

alphaLaura wrote::D Best of luck!!! I just had my initial class 2 medical; freakin' hell... I feel violated, so I can't even imagine what a Class 1 would be like!!!

ah come on, its not that bad, ok ok, maybe the rubber glove was a bit much but it has to be done :lol:
--- "Hey there blimpy boy, flying so high and fancy free" --- Homer Simpson

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Wed May 11, 2005 6:26 pm

:D R/G aside how many euro for med 2

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Wed May 11, 2005 7:17 pm

Congrats!!! What people do to go flying.... :D

Right, a #2 will set you back, initially, ?140. It takes a good 45 minutes. I know Al it probably wasn't that bad, but I've never had a full on check up like that before. Mine went a bit like this;

- Big form to fill out: Personal details, what aircraft you fly, medical history and so on
- ECG: car jump leads attached to torso and legs etc
- Urine sample: Ugh. Being a female is -difficult- lol
- Blood test for my iron level
- Height and Weight (161cm, and does 40.7 kg sound reasonable? I can't remember...!!)
- Eyes tests: Read the letters with each eye, then read a paragraph of tiny writing with each eye, colour tests (they -are- evil - I was able to see the ones that I wasn't supposed to see)
- Balance test: Stand up, put out your arms, close your eyes. Toppling over = bad
- Listen to my heart, listen to my breathing
- Test reflexes
- Feel my stomach to see I have a spleen, kidneys and whatever else is in there
- Spirograph - ie, see how strong your lungs are
- Miscellaneous checks such as feeling the glands in my throat, checking my shoulders and neck muscles.

Now, I have still got to get a chest X-ray and I'm under the impression that will cost in the region of ?150??
I OWN THE SUN

-Al-
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by -Al- » Thu May 12, 2005 11:26 am

Ya mine was similar enough.

fill in form
ecg
height/weight
blood pressure
urine sample
eye test (which I started laughing at, dont ask why, I think I thought of something funny at the time :lol: )
same as laura, seeing if my organs are all present :D
a few general health questions.

mine took about 4 hours, I got there early, had to wait at least an hour to be even seen, then had to wait to get an ecg done, when I got back to the doctor, he was seeing another patient :roll: but its done now.

Where did you get yours done laura?, you seem to have more checks than I had to do.

I cant remember how much mine cost now, but I know it was cheaper than I was expecting, maybe ?120, ill check later.

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Thu May 12, 2005 6:43 pm

:( Mountjoy square ? 8) The belly check is for a disturbed aorta :idea:

flygirl88
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by flygirl88 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:16 pm

[quote="alphaLaura"] Height and Weight (161cm, and does 40.7 kg sound reasonable? I can't remember...!!)

Blimey alphalaura u must be realy thin ur body mass index is like 15!!! i had trouble getting a class 2 medical because i'm so underweight but my bmi is like 16! healthy is 20 - 25!! did u have trouble getting urs? where did u get it done? :shock:

i totaly agree with u about the urine sample girl thing :? how awkward.

:D

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Thu May 12, 2005 9:39 pm

:( Ladies please :(

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Thu May 12, 2005 9:56 pm

Al - I got mine done in Cork; the MediCenter. It took an hour and half including the waiting time, but the actual checks took up the 45 minutes. And actually, when he was shining the light in my eyes, I was readu to just crumple over and laugh my head off :lol: Weird, eh?!

lol disturbed aorta... How can an aorta be disturbed?! I would have thought colons would be disturbed...

flygirl88 - eep :shock: I dunno, I mean - I'm not super thin. I'm a size 10 in clothes and such so I must be normal. How do you calculate BMI?? I must be remembering my weight wrong in that case.

EI-DEL - these things have to be given out about!!
I OWN THE SUN

flygirl88
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by flygirl88 » Thu May 12, 2005 10:33 pm

alphalaura bmi is weight in relation to height and u calculate it by dividing ur weight by [height in meters] squared.

my class 2 medical only took about 40 mins and i didn't have half the stuff done that u did!!! i did have a pregnancy test for sum reason tho!!! i can't imagine why the nurse thought i might be pregnant :o i didn't have balance test or reflex test or any of the miscellaneous tests alphalaura described and no one said anything to me about a chest x-ray. the medical examiner had to ring up the iaa and check he could give me a medical cert because i was only 15 at the time!!

-Al-
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by -Al- » Fri May 13, 2005 11:49 am

alphaLaura wrote: And actually, when he was shining the light in my eyes, I was readu to just crumple over and laugh my head off :lol: Weird, eh?!

ok were on to something here, are we just weird, or do other people find medical tests funny :lol:

my instructor was telling me that his class 1 cost him 600 pounds, so it almost cost 1000 euro :shock: but that would have been a while ago though.

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Fri May 13, 2005 7:51 pm

:D When I made enquiries re med 1 to mater private they were very informative can't remember the price .But they do not do med2's :)