FAA Licence

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

FAA Licence

Post by Mark H » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:08 pm

Not so simple a question.

I used to have a PPL many years ago. But was unable to keep the flying up once I had a Mortgage. Now I would love to get back properly. In fact I started back a few years ago but then got caught up in the change of ownership of Weston and eventually stopped as I was unsure of what was going on.

I met a couple of my old instructers and they are suggesting that I coulld get back to flying more easily if I got an FAA Cert. This certianly sounds more interesting. Indeed I think that the differences that I have seen the FAA rules seem to make more sense.

Can anyone tell me what are the advantages or disadvantages between JAA and FAA Licences? Is this going to be a contentious issue?

Mark

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:47 pm

:) There is also the nppl type licence up nth.25 hrs min to get through flying ultralights :D :D ,DEL SAve you a massive fortune .so much you would probably have enough change to buy your own plane ,B,I,O,N.

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Mark H » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:15 pm

I as already stated have had a PPL many years ago, although I did think about the microlight route I would prefer to be able to fly something a little larger also. Surely I would be able to get my Licence back without too many hours. I only plan on having a PPL possibley with further ratings but not for the sake of going commercial.

I was thinking of going the route of FAA training in Ireland then either going to UK or US to sit test. I would then hope to have the licence be the end of the summer.

If I start resitting all exams and restarting flight training I know that I would be luck to be ab le to achieve something by end of next year. Also if you have a FAA cert you can fly FAA aircraft with simpler more logical regs!?

I would certainly love to hear what people think of this procedure. BTW I have never flown microlights would love to give the tree axis versions a try, but don't know where to start, it could be fun, but as a type to fly it has it's drawbacks for me for instance I weigh 15 stone and most passengers would more than likely be of the same stature, international flights would be difficult with this limitation, just think of 92kg per passenger and fuel in a 450kg max weight microlight, it doesn't leave a lot of room for aircraft.

I could even see me owning a microlight aircraft at the end (or a share in one) and using something larger (EG cessna 182 or tobago) whenever necessary, although I would have to wait for new tech engines before the heavyweights though as these will bring the costs to a more reasonable level.

Mark
Last edited by Mark H on Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Mark H » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:17 pm

Sorry I forgot to ask what do you mean B,I,O,N?

Mark

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:43 pm

It would take the capacity of several computers to do justice to your request!

A few simple points

Caution the FAA route as FAA have now formally advised ICAO that their PPL does not qualify for automatic recognition by other States due incongruities between FAA and ICAO in the Medical.

You may find thet even a FAA Commercial Medical (Class 2) does not work in that,among other things, FAA allow pregnancy and don't require duplicate spectacles where ICAO do

The UK NPPL is not an option here yet as the curent EU Directive does not allow use outside UK - the proposed EASA recreational PPL for Europe is likely to make such a licence obainable and usable anywhere in Europe - alas we may not see this till 2007

Depending on when your PPL lapsed and how much experience you had gained the IAA terms for reinstatement might well come as a pleasant surprise

The JAA and FAA Licences are essentially equivalent : they are structured to satisfy ICAO Annex 1 - but, as you have probably seen, the syllabi for getting there do not exactly dovetail!

Wishing you luck

Maurice

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

FAA Route

Post by Mark H » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:24 am

Thanks for the input,

I never heard of these inconsistenices. Are they recent? Are these going to have a definate practical effect? I can't see the pregnancy problem being an issue with me (I am 100% certain that I wont get pregnant as I am male) and if I am required to wear glasses it would only be sound airmanship to carry a second pair.

Could these issues have a bearing? could these issues be used against me? If that was the case would there not be problems with visiting pilots from the USA?

Mark

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:45 pm

Well, I guess it's a question of validity

If you fly in a country using a licence not valid for that country then you are outside the law and bang goes your insurance.

In the present climate where the IAA are hyper on medicals I cannot see them giving you a specific validation for a licence that is sub-ICAO in its medical

It is the licence itself that causes the invalidation, not your conduct - so that you cannot effect a repair job by voluntarily taking care to comply with a standard which you know to be acceptable

This situation got formalsed 2-3 years ago - there had been scrapping for decades.

Yes - this does affect visiting pilots

You will notice the FAA PPL does not currently carry the "Issued in Accordance with ICAO Annex 1" - which would evidence suitability for automatiuc acceptance outside the USA

Enjoy

Maurice

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:46 pm

:D B,I.O.N.=believe it or not :twisted:

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

FAA PPl

Post by shrtfld » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:59 pm

Hi Mark

Recognise your problem. Similar story to me. Licence expired 1986.

Summer '03 I decided time was right to try get licence reissued. Did some flying in Florida to get me started.

When I came home from hols I spoke to both the CFI at Coonagh and a Flight examiner I knew. Both gave me identical advice. Do medical, apply for SPL and write to Kevin Swords at IAA setting out my stall. I did just that . In letter (treat like a CV) I told him my story, including details of flying experience (hours, aircraft and types of flying experience) previous results of writtens etc.

IAA response was :
1. Issued SPL by return
2. Told me I would have to sit Human Performance - not part of syllabus when I did my PPL first time around .
3 Hours were left to CFI as to when I was ready for flight test
4. Take flight test

I was back with PPL in under three months since first flight in July. While I was ready in about 20 hours for test I had about 25 or so done - due to delays in setting up flight test. This included night, instrument and cross country time while in Florida.

I had thought of going FAA route. However apart from medical, I'd have had to do 25/30 hours, all the FAA writtens, qualifying cross countries (all in the States) followed by flight test. I have since got the FAA licence issued on foot of my JAR which covers me for flying in the USA (easier to rent with FAA licence as opposed to JAR) as well as flying an N'reg based here- which I do regularly.

So as Maurice (MCRO) said, you might be surprised how co-operative the IAA will be in helping you get your wings back. I know two other guys going through this process at the moment. So you are not alone.

I hope you enjoy the thrill of being back flying as much as I have, now that I am back. One of the best aspects of the flying is that it has been a whole new experience for my kids two of whom cannot wait to start learning to fly themselves. Also I find I am better able to afford it compared to back in the eighties when I left my licence expire.

Good luck Mark.

Based on my experience I think you should do JAR. If afterwards you want FAA you can get it.
Shrtfld

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:53 pm

That's an excellent post from Shrtfld -gets rid of my negatives very nicely

Don't be conned into the idea that you CAN rent an aircraft in USA on a JAA Licence - even if not as easy to achieve as per an FAA one

USA have not implemented this reciprocating part of Chicago convention : only a licence issued by FAA Administrator can be used on a US Reg aircraft within the USA

Cheers

Maurice

YoYo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by YoYo » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:06 am

Maurice

I thought the FAA licence issue was resolved with FAA licence holders upgrading their medicals to Class 2. I was in conversation at the time with my AME who was in touch with the IAA and the upgrade was, in his words, what had been agreed to.

If what you are saying is the case then FAA certified instructors will not be making any money carrying out BFR's in this country.

Which leads me nicely onto my next topic - anyone know of a FAA certified instructor as my BFR is due in another couple of months

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:14 am

Interesting indeed form Yo-Yo

My understanding from Washington is that it is in the case of Class 2 Medical that the Pregnancy, Specs - and other - difficulties arise via-a-vis ICAO

FAA Instructors, I believe, have to hold CPL's so outside current PPL matters of discussion

Do FAA Instructors take command during BFR review flights?

Maurice

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

BFR

Post by shrtfld » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:35 am

Yo-Yo

I have checked with an FAA licensed CPL/IR/Instructor based in Shannon. He is available to do BFR for you. To my knowledge it needs to be on an N'regd aircraft. He operates a couple in his company (C172 & 182) which are based in the Mid West area. He said I can put you in touch with him directly and you can discuss your specific requirments. PM me with your own email and phone number and I will pass details to you.

Maurice

The BFR pilot logs as P1 on the basiss he is currently rated on the type (SEP Landplane for example), holds a current medical and BFR is taking place in advance of the expiry of the previous BFR. I had discussed this with the CFI (at an FBO in the USA) when I did my BFR on being issued the back to back FAA PPL. He told me to log as P1.
Shrtfld

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: BFR

Post by MCRO » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:10 am

Ambiguity revered Shrtfld

"The BFR pilot logs as P1"

Does BFR Pilot mean the pilot UNDERGOING the reveiw or the CONDUCTOR?

If former the possible Class 2 Med problem goes away for for any CONDUCTING FAA person conducting a reveiw in Ireland

Renewed cheer

Maurice

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Mark H » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:50 pm

I guess I will get in touch with the IAA and see about a JAR licence so. I will let you know what they say.

Best regards,

Mark