which course???

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

cillian96
Unverified User
Unverified User

which course???

Post by cillian96 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:33 pm

hi, after doing my leaving cert i plan on becoming a pilot with atlantic flight training. They offer modular and integrated courses. Can anyone tell me what are they like,

Is the inegrarted course very hard and does it demand a lot of work

Is the modular to relaxed

Would i be able to get a job easier with intefrated or does it matter

And what is the school like?

thanks!

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Re: which course???

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:14 pm

To be perfectly honest. Having read your post, I get the impression you've not thought this out at all.
Is the inegrarted course very hard and does it demand a lot of work
Is a lot of work a problem?

What you're doing now is great, you're researching. But, I've got a strong feeling that at this stage you haven't got the slightest notion of what you're getting yourself into.

Cork is a good school from what I can see, but bare in mind they're going to be extremely busy with the Air Astana contracts.

You're probably hell bent on getting started, but if I was in your position, with the benefit of hindsight, I'd be building a separate career of some sort and apply for the cadetship schemes that the likes of B.A. and Aer Lingus has started running again.

From what I've heard, it's been much harder to get a direct entry position with Aer Lingus than get a cadetship. The point I'm making is that, if you can't get a cadetship, maybe you're just kicking the bucket down the road. While picking up a 100k debt.

In summary, plan for another career and try for any cadetships that become available. If you're itching to get flying, join a flying club and get a PPL. Doing the PPL with a flying club will also give you a better understanding of the industry.

cillian96
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by cillian96 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 pm

thank you! very helpful, i will keep it in mind!

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Gally2 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Bob,

I have done exactly what you have said there. I am currently doing a masters with a job offer for this September in Finance industry. I have a few hours under my belt from AFTA for a PPL but i cannot do anymore as i do not have the finances. I applied for the BA and Aer Lingus Cadetships but to no avail they are extremely difficult to get into. The only option abvailable to me is to continue on the modular route (somehow getting money to do so) and see where that gets me? Perhaps NFC might have better job prospects after my training is completed? Just like to hear how you feel i should continue going by your experience? Maybe i should do a modular course in OAA or CTC?

Cillian, I am a few years down the line from you and my experience in gaining my PPL apart from running out of money has been excellent. I felt AFTA were good. With Air Estana there now i feel they could leave us behind. PM me if you want any other info on them. :D