Fixed wing dunker training

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Fixed wing dunker training

Post by Gally2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi everybody, I was wondering if doing a course in Fixed wing dunker training or helicopter underwater egress training in the National maritime college of ireland helpful for recruitment stages of the air corps cadetship competition? Or what other courses are there out there to help my chances of getting in and being successful?

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Fixed wing dunker training

Post by stovepipe » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:34 am

It won't help you in the slightest, because first, you have to beat the odds and get accepted, then you have to pass the cadetship and then you have to pass the Wings Course, by which time you will have forgotten what a dunker exit is like and the Air Corps will decide if you need it or not.
regards
Stovepipe

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Gally2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:02 am

Hi Stovepipe,

Thank you very much for your reply. I can see what you mean. Sounds like you have experience in it.

Is there anything i can do to help my chances of getting in do you know apart from the RDF?

regards,

Gally

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:56 am

Hi there
If you know any AC pilots, get them to conduct a mock interview...get some interview training at one of the communications/PR companies...the interview system involves screening interviews before the actual crucial interview, so ask about them from existing AC pilots........if there are box-ticking psych exams, practise them online.........make sure you have no outstanding medical issues, as the standard is IAA Class 1 and higher. It is also crucial that you be involved in sports, at team and personal level. They want somebody who has spent time being and sustaining fitness and has a track record of being in the GAA or other sporting groups. The cadetship, even the shortened version, puts a lot of physical pressure on the body and mind so you have to be fit. The AC is a Military organisation so the AC emphasis is that an Officer is a soldier and a leader first and a pilot second. If you go into the interview gushing about being a pilot, then you will have missed the point and you will not pass. If all you want to be is a pilot, join an airline.
regards
Stovepipe