Commercial training

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

A330
Unverified User
Unverified User

Commercial training

Post by A330 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:33 pm

I looking for some advice,
I?m trying to pursue my dream of becoming an airline pilot. I have spent ages looking a different schools and I have finally found a school which 1) Has a good training facilities 2) reasonable price 3) Has ties to an airline.

Its the Delta training academy (formerly comair academy) in Florida. I?m looking at the JAA commercial pilot license program. It covers PPL,CPL,IR,ATPL and MCC.
At the moment due to the great exchange rate it works at well price wise but I just wanted to get some views from any of ye that have experienced the Delta academy or know someone who has or even have any other advice for me.

Thanks
A330

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:17 pm

My advice,

Loose the dream now, start thinking realistically, you will save yourself a bucket load of money and dashed hopes, it may also prevent you from getting piles and a bad back when you older.

Don't bother joining the masive massive other list of wannabies who most will never make it in the airline industry, those who do will loose there rose tinted glasses view, very very quickly.

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:43 pm

You could check out http://www.jetcareers.com

They have a load of information for budding aviators about flying schools and just about everything related to aviation. Be it American orientated.

But, just becuase DCA "guarantees" you a interview with their associated airlines, don't make the be one of your main reasons to go there. Oxford Aviation is a great flying school based in the UK. A LOT closer to home and the prices aren't that bad. You can request their brochure of their modular and APP (Airline Preperation Program) programs.

Check it out at http://www.oxfordaviation.net

Also, I have the DCA brochure, if you want it, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It covers everything that DCA offers.

Sticksforward
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sticksforward » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:07 pm

Best bit of advice i was given for my ATPL was Oxford in the UK.
I went the modular route in 15 months and got my right seat thanks to OAT.

Best of luck

SF

easynow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by easynow » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:28 am

raheem - take it no one would give u a job then?

ppl_student
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ppl_student » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:27 pm

Try doing a search on pprune.com on Delta academy or any other school, there is lots of info there.
PPL Student

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Tue May 04, 2004 9:17 pm

A330 i know a guy who Very recently gained his CPL with PTC in Waterford and it looks Very probable that he Will get a Job with Aer Arann in the summer.

Start off small in a little turboprop e.g. ATR42 , F27/50 and work your way up the ladder is what advice i got from An ex Chief Pilot for Air Canada.

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land » Wed May 05, 2004 4:11 pm

How did he like PTC?

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Wed May 05, 2004 7:34 pm

He said that the people were very friendly the instructors were friendly and a great help.

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz » Wed May 05, 2004 11:37 pm

A330, one point. Don't expect to get a job with Delta or any American airline through the school. You won't unless you have a green card and a college degree. But you seem to be pursuing a JAA course anyway. Remember though you must do all the exams and flight training for the JAA licence in one country when you come back. That must be factored in.

Flyer1's comment about his friend very probably getting into Aer Arann should be taken with a pinch of salt. I know a lot of pilots including me who will 'very probably' get into Aer Arann this year. :D No offense flyer1 :wink:

The Air Canada Captain's advice is good too, except it doesn't really work like that in this country. Most people go straight onto jets with Ryan and the like. The only commuter outfit is Aer Arann and there are few and far between Air Taxi companies here.

Don't let raheem put you off either. There are no guarantees . It's tough going and it will take you years to get into right hand seat of anything bigger than a Cessna. But it's worth a try if you really want to fly.

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land » Thu May 06, 2004 7:14 pm

"Remember though you must do all the exams and flight training for the JAA licence in one country when you come back"

Except for the IR (Instrument) you can take all of the JAA exams (Ground and Flight) at DCA. The IR tests are taken in the UK via Atlantic Flight Training in Coventry. Which, is obviously included in the price.

A330
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by A330 » Mon May 10, 2004 7:48 pm

Thanks for all your reply?s. I am aware that it isn't going to an easy ride but I am determined to give it a go. 'You never know until you try' I have however a plan prepared in the event that it doesn't work out.

I have a full time job and will be talking a leave of absence while I train. Once I return form wherever it is I end up training I can return to my job and continue my hour building etc at my flying club.

I don?t expect to get a job with Delta or any other airline once I complete the course, however I?m sure it would be no harm to do the interview purely to get idea of what its like. I haven?t decided fully on where I will train. I?m putting a lot of thought into this don?t want to rush in.

A330

SkyhawkCommander
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by SkyhawkCommander » Sun May 23, 2004 4:08 pm

Hi A330,

As already mentioned you need a US green card to work for a US airline, DL etc. I believe the guarantee of an interview is for FAA students only.
Cheers

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Sun May 23, 2004 7:34 pm

Sideshow Raheem wrote:My advice,

Loose the dream now, start thinking realistically, you will save yourself a bucket load of money and dashed hopes, it may also prevent you from getting piles and a bad back when you older.

Don't bother joining the masive massive other list of wannabies who most will never make it in the airline industry, those who do will loose there rose tinted glasses view, very very quickly.

Nice encouragement there raheem. Sounds like you have been let down by the world of aviation but try not to come on here and spoil it for the people who still have a desire to achieve their goal.

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:18 pm

I was looking at Delta myself for a long time, and I came to a conclusion and I wonder could anyone confirm it for me?

After the training phase everyones offered a job as an intstuctor for a year. What I wondered was that if everyones getting offer these jobs just to build up hours that means they have to train fresh students.
Well my question is. Do you then end up been taught by last years batch who are most likely going to raw neverous and not the best quality of instrutor.