Advice for starting PPL in Ireland

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Advice for starting PPL in Ireland

Post by Gally2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello,

I am new to this site (just joined today). I am very interested in doing my PPL in Ireland.

Can anyone advise me as to the best priced school/club ?

Is a school or a club better?

Where can i rent aircraft upon completing my PPL?

Thanking you in advance :)

Irishguy
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Advice for starting PPL in Ireland

Post by Irishguy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi ya Gally.
Hey another newbie.... ;-). Just a question where do you want to do your PPL-A? Cork, Dublin, somewhere else?

I just started my PPL-A in Cork at http://www.afta.ie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they are really good.

Best regards
Irishguy

ptawse
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ptawse » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:19 am

Why not consider learning to fly with a flying club. Ours is the Recreational Flying Club based at Kilkenny airfie ld. We are a 'not for profit' organisation operating seven days per week and offering Private Pilot Licence training. http://www.recreationalflyingclub.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Check out our facebook page.

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Gally2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Thank you IrishGuy and ptawse for your replies.

IrishGuy- AFTA are one of the most expensive in Ireland arent they?

ptawse- What are the benefits that a flying club offer that a flying school does not? Or are there any?

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Gally2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Also IrishGuy I am from Kerry but in college in Limerick and hopefully moving to dublin next year. I would obviously like to do it in kerry but there is no school/club there. I know Coonagh is in Limerick i was onto them

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:25 am

Gally2, are you in UL. As far as I know, there's some sort of flying club within UL that use Limerick Flying Clubs aircraft and facilities. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend Limerick Flying Club anyway.

They're a great group of folks, with nice airplanes, at good prices. For me, the place to do a PPL is a flying club. Not just because it's normally cheaper, but also the club atmosphere is a great place to hang out with people who have the similar perverse interests in aviation.

The one problem you may encounter with flying clubs is availability, so just make sure that they've plenty of instructors and airplanes to meet the demand. Just have a chat with them, I think no matter where you go it'll be all down to yourself, how quick you complete it.
If you really want to fast track your training, it maybe best to look at, either one of the schools here, or quicker again going to the states.

If doing the latter, just be 100% sure that you know what you're getting, almighty EASA is doing it's damnedest to make it as difficult as possible for guys on US licenses and, as far as I know, they're not making it easy for US schools offering EASA licences.

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Gally2 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi Bob, Yes i am in UL. I have been in contact with Limerick flying club and i must say so far they are very helpful (i havent gone up yet to have a chat but i am going to when i get some spare time).

Flying clubs are better for friendliness as i have found out from schools who are only interested in your money. I am just so afraid to get a loan to actually complete my training as i have no money with being a college student and all. I would absolutely love to though...

Have you a ppl bob? Is it worth it? I would highly think it is but would just like to see how an actual ppl holder actually uses his/her licence for fun?

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:33 pm

I have PPL and it's great, but it's not much good if you have no money.

I'm not sure how much I'd recommend a loan. As keen as you most likely are to start, I recommend putting your energy into your collage degree to insure you're top of the class and most likely to get the big job after you finish. Then when you're raking it in, do your PPL.

If you're in collage and you do decide to get a loan, be sure not to drink it. :) We laugh, but I've seen it done on more than 1 occasion.

I learnt to fly during my apprenticeship, so I had some income and was able to steer clear of loans.

Gally2
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Gally2 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Raking it in? ha i dont know about that hopefully though ill have enough to get me in the air.... I am trying to see if anyone in Kerry airport has spare seats in their private aircraft (yes thats how desperate i have gotton) i need to be in the air that much...unfortunately this has not throwm up any success as of yet but hopefully my post in the "student area" of this forum will help me in some way!! No replies yet though..

Ya i know what you mean by drinking it... It could easily happen but i have had this goal since very young and nothing would take my attention away from it if i had the money!! I am glad to hear that you enjoy your PPL..:) Keep up the good work