doing the atpl

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

peteport
Verified User
Verified User

doing the atpl

Post by peteport » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Guys,

2 quick questions;

1. Do airline recruiters really have a preference to where someone completes their ATPL. I only ask because I went to the Atlantic Flight Training Academy seminar in dublin recently and at the talk they had both a Ryanair recruiter and pilot who of course were both selling AFTA. Ill hopefully be taking the plunge in the next 2 years and going for the full thing and with weston being around the corner i'm wondering does the school really make a difference on the c.v for potential employers.

2. What are the actual prospects for careers in the airline industry, obviously like everyone else planning on making a big investment I want to know as much as possible, from someone outside of a flight school not trying to sell you their company or someone in the process of being hired or that is involved in the recruiting.
Thanks

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: doing the atpl

Post by mark » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi Peteport,

1) I guess this will vary from airline to airline but from my experience airlines don't generally distinguish between the two. At the end of the day, a CPL is a CPL whether you did it by modular or integrated. One thing that is frowned up is constantly jumping between schools if you go the modular route. This is indicative of a disorganised approach to your flight training. Airlines that do have a preference over flight training will generally run their own cadetship programmes anyway.

2) At the moment, there is an oversupply of qualified pilots on the market so getting a job is difficult. That's not to say there are no jobs out there, there are. It just means that competition is high and airlines can afford to cherrypick. Make sure you have a sound financial plan. I have meet a few recently qualified cadets that are so far in debt that they will struggle to pay off their flying loans in the next 10-12 years (and they have a job). Calculate how much you're going to spend and then add 10%-20% as a buffer. Can you afford to live during your flight training as well (as you probably won't be able to work)? Can you return to your old job once your flight training is complete while you wait for interviews / job offers etc.? Can you afford to self sponsor your own type rating when you do get a job? (anything from €15,000 to €35,000). When you get hired can you afford to move abroad (both financially and from a family point of view)?

Please don't take these points as being negative, I just think these are things to consider before putting your hand in your pocket. If you do decide to go for it, make sure you do a Class 1 medical first!

Hope this helps.
Mark.
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

Glenn
Verified User
Verified User

Re: doing the atpl

Post by Glenn » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi Peteport,

Just a short note to add to marks comments, which I feel is relevant. I have flown with many people who have been in 2 or 3 if not more flight schools and who have jobs. So multiple schools isn't always a bad thing. I generally feel if you give it your best shot and aim for first time passes in everything you are in a positive position.

Best of luck,

Glenn