Florida Flight Training

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

John_os
Unverified User
Unverified User

Florida Flight Training

Post by John_os »

Hi,

I currently have 4 hours flying and i am intrested in continuing my PPL in florida. I have taught about going to either www.flyoft.com or www.flyeft.com to finish my ppl. I was hoping to do the 3 week course. I would be going for 5 weeks to allow for any delays etc. Which school is the better of the two? Or does anybody know of a better option for flying either in the USA or other countries

John

EIDW_PILOT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDW_PILOT »

John_os,

I would suggest going to South Africa to finish your ppl, like yourself I have done a few hours of flying here in Ireland but decided it would be quicker and cheaper to go else where.

I went to Algoa Flight Centre in Port Elizabeth and found them to be great. The training was to a very high standard, they had great aircraft, amazing scenery and of course great weather. Also at the time I went it worked out much cheaper than going to the States. You can check them out at www.algoafc.co.za

John_os
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by John_os »

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply, what is the weather like over there?

John

A330
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by A330 »

Hi,
Just a few pointers about coming to fly in Florida. Allow a fare bit of extra time to complete your ppl cause although its Florida you can get bad weather too. Ive had a few days washed out over here in the last 2 weeks. Five weeks might be enough try to talk to people in the school you'll pick to get some feed back. Ive seen guys having to go home without the PPL because they ran out of time and believe me they were pi##ed. Don't take the price they quote as final, there will be extras and you won't always finish in the hours they say. If you going to do the JAA PPL then sit all your ground exams at home first it means you can just concentrate on your flying. So take your time researching schools and ask lots of questions when you call or email them.

Don't want to sound negative but these are things you have to consider. On the upside there are a lot of hot women and its spring break here!!!

Best of luck
A330

EIDW_PILOT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDW_PILOT »

John_os

The weather is very good most of the year, I went in June which is during their winter time. Weather fronts tended to pass by the Cape every week or so, if this happened you would lose a day due to rain then to be followed by a good week of hot dry weather. On a wet day we would study for our exams so the day was never wasted. In all the total time for me to gain my PPL was 3 weeks and 3 days although they recommend the minium time it will take you to complete your ppl is 4 weeks.

John_os
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by John_os »

hi again,

many thanks for all the help with the PPL. So far I have decided on getting my PPL. As to where i will do it is another choice. South africa is now sounding very tempting.

John

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll »

Can I ask peoples' intentions,when people say they are going to florida to geta PPL? Just curious,are you 1.going to get it to having flying as a hobby?
2.Going to get the ppl,return to college/school do a bit of flying and try to go the full way after? or 3.a view to going all the way??
feedback would be great,

John_os
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by John_os »

Hi,

I am currently studying aeronautical engineering in limerick. I have been flying in Ireland but I don?t have time to be doing it any more. I am too busy to be going out to a club every Sunday and maybe getting 30mins flying every 3 weeks. I love the craic in the Irish clubs but I want to go to America to get the ppl for pleasure. Then maybe after time if I am not able to get a settled job when I graduate I will continue to go for my Commercial licence.

John

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll »

what year aero eng. are you in?? im prob gona transfer to second year of that next year?

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle »

Be warned, Aero Eng had the highest failure rate in UL when I was there, 54% in 2nd year !!

It seemed like the wannabe bug travels.

John_os
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by John_os »

hi,

I am in 3rd year at present. It is a good course but there is alot of work. unless you want to be up studying late many nights doing projects then think twice. Most of the course subjects are interesting but the lecturers are sometimes not the best. At present i enjoy doing the course but there is 2 lecturers who dont care for the students progress and expect you to learn and understand everything for yourself. Other than that it is worth the effort if you are thinking of joining the aerospace industry. Also i have covered alot of the same information you need for the PPL. This module is flight mechanics, and is taught by Trevor Young, who is also a pilot in Coonagh. Hope this helps, if you need any more info on the subject just send me a message and il try tell you more.

John

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll »

ya dont worry there mr.bungle,the course im in now has prob a higher failure rate,u only fail when you dont put in the work!! Im gona apply anyway,The good thing about avionics is the course content of the part-66 syllabus and also some of those modules would cover a lot of ATPL Theory!! And the fact the lecturers actually care about you and help ya out any time!! cheers john

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle »

You must also factor 2 other things into the equation:
Women and drink, and there is loads and loads of both in UL.

Best of luck and enjoy, I did.

John_os
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by John_os »

ya ul has alot of both, and fine quality too!!!! but seriously, it is worth the effort if you want to do it.enjoy 1st and a bt of 2nd year.because 3rd and 4th year are very hard. but then again the craic in ul is mental

john

A330
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by A330 »

Ah UL where to begin.
The Stables, The Hurlers and of course the biggest and best night club 'The Lodge' Many happy days in UL, Christmas daz's, Rag week or as its now know 'College Week'. Enjoy it while you can!

A330