From Prague to Dublin - continuation of PPL course

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

zenczykowski
Unverified User
Unverified User

From Prague to Dublin - continuation of PPL course

Post by zenczykowski » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:50 am

Dear,

In June I'm relocating to Dublin, currently I'm student of Flying Academy in Czech Republic (http://www.flyingacademy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and have ~20h of dual flight, 60 landings, have passed theory exam and I'm just before 1st solo.

Because of relocation I'm exploring option to continue my education in Dublin, in longer term i would also consider ME,IR, CPL and GPL.

Please let me know if there is any way to transfer my current 20h of flight to Irish flying schools and to continue my aviation adventure here.

Also any suggestion of any good schools in Dublin would be perfect, I mailed Lightwise and NFC already (and waiting for answers), are there any other interesting options here ?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Kamil Zenczykowski

Rudy
Verified User
Verified User

Re: From Prague to Dublin - continuation of PPL course

Post by Rudy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Kamil,
Check PM.
Rudy

zenczykowski
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by zenczykowski » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Tx Rudy!

HawkofBattle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HawkofBattle » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:53 am

I think the IAA can recognise 10 hours of the training towards the PPL from outside Ireland.

zenczykowski
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by zenczykowski » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:37 am

Ohh, you think so ? In such case it would be smarter if I suspend my trainings here.
Anyway i have conflicting informations at the moment. I knew it won't be trivial :)

Regards,
Kamil Zenczykowski

HawkofBattle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HawkofBattle » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:09 am

Just check with the IAA to confirm, each case is checked on its own merits. As your changing flight schools and environment it might be hard to hit the PPL in 45 hours. If it takes 65hours for PPL it shouldn't be an issue for any matter. Got the below from the IAA website. I had similar situation to yourself transferring from Greek PPL training and had no issues continuing training in Ireland.

https://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=120&n=330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Q.8 I have started a JAR-FCL PPL(A) course in another JAA State but I haven’t finished the
course. Can I finish the course in Ireland?

A. If you have commenced a JAR-FCL PPL(A) training course under the responsibility of a JAA
Member State other than Ireland, and wish to continue the training course at a RTF or FTO in
Ireland, some credit may be given for flight training already completed, subject to the written
agreement of the IAA. No credit for JAR-FCL PPL(A) theoretical knowledge examinations will be
given. Each case will be considered on its own merits, and further advice in this regard should be
sought from the IAA Personnel Licensing Office.

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:18 am

I had a similar issue but moving from Ireland to Luxembourg. As stated in the previous comment they won't accept the theory. It ended up being such a hassle that I took a couple of weeks off work and finished at home in Ireland. I had soloed, about 35hours total and a good chunk of my cross country stuff done and I think it took just under 3 weeks to finish it all out, which included one of the worst 3 weeks of weather and I also spent some of the time at home seeing family etc. I'd imagine in Prague you'd get fairly consistent weather that you'd finish in 2 weeks if you went full time at it. Just talk to your school and see if they think it'd be possible. Then come back to Ireland and join a flying club for your hour building. ;)

The really irritating thing is that once you have your Czech license, they'll immediately accept it and issue you a IAA one.