Hi all im new :) Few questions

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

LeftSeat
Unverified User
Unverified User

Hi all im new :) Few questions

Post by LeftSeat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 pm

I was flying in Australia a few years back and built up 7.5 hours in a C150 & Tomahawk When I came home I simply couldn't afford to continue but now I can :D so here is a few questions.

( I'm 27 so flying for a living is probably out of the question now so all questions are pleasure related)

(unless I go be a bush pilot :shock:)

1) PPL or Microlight PPL.. what's the main difference bar price and size / usability

2) Can you study, sit exams then fly..or study in segments and fly in-between...helps save a few quid up for block lessons.

3) Area of clubs as in radio communication with controlled airspace...no radio is like driving down the M50 blindfolded :lol:

On a more serious note....after talking to other Irish Pilots and browsing the net I have some

What about well able pilot's not being passed to sit there flight test..heard a few stories over the years..

Or instructors not giving proper lesson and just being there to build hours towards cpl / atpl

Now before we start, This is what I've read and been told so please no smart answers or people losing the plot, Simply want to know what's what!!

I live here and want to fly here and contribute to Irish recreational flying but I want proper training for my money. So many pilots I talked to have go state side or across the pond because of problems here and a kind of elitist attitude.

Personally I think as long as you have the passion to fly and the means to do so who cares who or what you are.. A pilot is a pilot in my mind and no matter what your experience we should all get along and pass that knowledge.

Im a biker myself and we all get along and be friendly...apart from Harley and bmw riders :P Ah no im kidding :lol:

Anyway thanks in advance for your reply's :D

Mick
Who said a C150 can't wheelie

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Hi all im new :) Few questions

Post by stovepipe » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:13 am

Hi there
decide on whether it's regular metal like Cessnas that you want to fly or microlights. There are enough outlets for both, really. The microlighters have the NMAI as their main organisation and the Schools and clubs deal with the spamcans. people go to the UK and USA because they offer all-in-one packages that don't exist here, as well as having better weather. You pays yer money...Try Weston or Newcastle or Trim for Cessnas and give the NMAI a buzz for the lighter stuff.

regards
Stovepipe

furball
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by furball » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:03 am

LeftSeat wrote:Or instructors not giving proper lesson and just being there to build hours towards cpl / atpl
One place you definitely won't get that is at the Leinster Aero Club, based out at Trevet near Dunshaughlin. Really experienced instructors there and are purely doing it for the love of flying.

Can't recommend the club enough...and there's also a great social/community feeling there which is harder to find in other flight schools.

http://www.leinsteraeroclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftSeat
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by LeftSeat » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks for the reply's lads

Have a meeting tomorrow with Flighwise in Weston but ill Give Aero Club a shout to....any idea of prices??

Anybody sit the flight test yet?? Trying to get an idea of what the testers are like :|

Heard story's of a 'Cartel' like group who run the Flight test...again its what I've heard so any feed back is gratefully appreciated :lol:

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sierra Papa » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:50 pm

Maybe you should stop listening to silly and unreal stories, and get in an airccraft and fly . My experience is peope who are negative from start will always find a PROBLEM and don't get far in aviation. All you need to do is get your head in the books, get yourself in an aircraft and it'll all fall together. Stop looking for opinions and "cartels". Both Flightwise and Leinster Aero Club are fantastic flying places, but of totally different character. One is a commercial school the later one is a club, different objective same fun. Different price but same solid quality training. I wish you good luck. Be positive and openminded, aviation has a lot of different aspects.

Regards , S.P.
Ps. If you need prices, look up respective websites.

NAG
Verified User
Verified User

Post by NAG » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:56 am

Also, if you're going out to Weston to talk to Flightwise, be sure to check out the other schools there as well (there are three fixed wing schools there as far as I'm aware - National Flight Centre, East Coast Flight Training and Flightwise). Shop around, check out their aircraft, their prices, get a feel for each operation. Don't base your decision just on a recommendation from an online forum, make up your own mind. By talking to many different schools/people, you'll also get a much better understanding of what the PPL is all about, eg. what's on the syllabus, what exams you have to take, how long it will take to complete etc etc. That way, there won't be any confusion or surprises when you're in the middle of your training.

LeftSeat
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by LeftSeat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks for the info.

Was just in with Brian from Flightwise..seems to be a pretty good place to fly. Nice aircraft, plenty of study material and there syllabus seems to be laid out pretty well.

They have a C172 and a Grob 115...Students start off with the Grob then onto the C172 later in your training.....great when you get your PPL as your rated in 2 aircraft :lol:

No yearly fees apart from the monthly payments which are very cheap..surprising as i thought it being in a controlled airport that fees would be higher.

Have email Leinster and East Coast so ill see how i get on

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Trigger » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 am

Just before you choose have a chat with Peter at Recreational Flying Club out of Kilkenny Airfield.
Location, availability, cost, aircraft, friendliness all box's ticked here.

http://recreationalflyingclub.blogspot. ... -club.html

LeftSeat
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by LeftSeat » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Looked at Kilkenny before but the travel cost would add up to much...cheers anyway.

Well after Looking and chatting to a few schools ive decided on one...anyone take a guess who it is??

Free flight test in this today thanks to ??? :lol: ..very nice to fly

Starting my training on this

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Trigger » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:16 pm

Best of luck in the left seat!! the TB9 (10?)looks a beauty ! :wink:

LeftSeat
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by LeftSeat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:20 am

Thanks mate :lol:

Not sure I think its a 9....but has a variable prop :?