PPL Training in the USA?
  • Alan Ryan
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

PPL Training in the USA?

by Alan Ryan » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:22 pm

Hi guys,I was wondering if any of you have done your PPL in florida.Its too awkward to do the licence here with weather and if you don't have the time.I have looked at a few training schools but they all seem similar.Does anyone recommend some flying schools in Florida.
  • tvpilot
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by tvpilot » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:34 pm

HAI is the one to go for
  • Dutch Roll
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Dutch Roll » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:20 pm

Hav you got a web address fot HAI
  • alphaLaura
    Verified User
    Verified User

by alphaLaura » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:20 pm

I'm thinking of doing the same because it's so frustrating to allow weeks go by and not fly, just because of weather. Flyeft (flyeft.com) has grabbed my attention as it is situated really close to where my Aunt lives (Fort Pierce, Florida). The main thing I worry about is how compacted the course is. I'm all for getting it done in a short space of time, but the fact that it seems far more intense makes me wonder wether I'll come out with less experience than if I had spent a year doing it here. I am going to talk to one of CFI's as he went and did training in Florida on the same sort of set-up.
    The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
    I OWN THE SUN
  • tvpilot
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by tvpilot » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:24 pm

• Vmcg
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Vmcg » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:50 am

Hi all,

Im over here in Naples Air Center in FL and there is quite a few Irish coming over to get their PPL in 3-4 weeks from start to finish.

They offer JAA PPL and FAA also.

Any questions just give me a shout.

John
  • EIDEL
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by EIDEL » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:59 pm

:D Hi Perhaps you will have forgotten the flight schools in Africa/Spain and a few other countries nearer in Europe where you can book in for three weeks all meals and bed . There is I am assured a very good deal in Majorca. And the weather is always good DEL
  • scraggane
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by scraggane » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:12 pm

EI-DEL wrote::D Hi Perhaps you will have forgotten the flight schools in Africa/Spain and a few other countries nearer in Europe where you can book in for three weeks all meals and bed . There is I am assured a very good deal in Majorca. And the weather is always good DEL

interested to hear about ppl training in Europe and Africa. Are there schools where the training is done through English. Anyone any experience of these? Does it work out cheaper than going to the US? Thanks.
  • -Al-
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by -Al- » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:26 pm

wasnt there a mention of them stopping the visas, I think the flight schools were notified of this, dont know if that would affect someone doing a 4 week course, but for a CPL maybe.
    --- "Hey there blimpy boy, flying so high and fancy free" --- Homer Simpson
  • Lionel Hutz
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Lionel Hutz » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:19 am

It is probably the best place to get your licence and here are a few suggestions to get the most out of the trip.

1. Do not go until you have put a few hours under your belt here.
    The reason being that US airspace is significantly busier than here, and it is easier to sort out the basic 'pitch power rudder and trim' bits in the uncongested skies of the old sod. Once you get to the states you should progress easier having mastered the basics.

2. While you are there make sure you get an FAA licence. Get a JAR one if you wish. The Reason For the FAA licence has been gone over here many times but basically It never expires or requires revalidation. You can stop flying for a number of years and then quickly get it back by simply renewing your medical and completing a Flight review. No Exams will be required and no fees will be demanded by the FAA. The cost of the extra checkride will pay big dividends in the future as the typical private pilot usually has long lapses in his/her flying career.
  • MCRO
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by MCRO » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:38 pm

A lot of good advice - so sad that it is necessary.

On the FAA PPL be prepared to learn that you cannot use it outside USA unless you have a Class I Medical

And possibly not even then as FAA seem to have withdrawn the attestation that it conforms to Annex 1 of ICAO

Maurice
  • FLYbyWIT
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by FLYbyWIT » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:13 pm

I never found the states that much cheaper after throwing in the cost of flight and accom and everything else etc etc. However you will do it all in a relatively quick time which is the main advantage. I enjoyed florida alot and hope to go back for a trip soon. I can only speak for Naples and do recommend them. I would however consider canada also if I were you,just a little cheaper again then the states, I think the school in Moncton are affiliated with PTC Waterford/Bournemouth and also Harv Air have UK affiliates. Anyways as for Florida No complaints, do get the FAA license also if you can and try do exams or at least be well versed in them before you arrive to save time locked away studying. Naples airport is great to fly from and the surrounding fields are brilliant for those nervous first few solos.
  • incisor
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by incisor » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:46 pm

From what I have heard about Moncton, it should be absolutely the bottom of anybody's list. You have been warned.
  • Lionel Hutz
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Lionel Hutz » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:11 pm

Maurice I'm sure that you are convinced of your opinion regarding an FAA PPL being used outside of the US specifically in this country being invalid because it does not say that it was issued in accordance with ICAO ANNEX 1.

However you are mistaken or misinformed and certainly spreading misinformation.

I have it in Writing from the IAA that an FAA PPL is automatically Validated for use in Ireland, provided that the holder possess either a Class 1 or Class 2 FAA medical.

This is in accordance with AIC nr 11/04 and SI 333 of 2000.

Please pay special attention to paragraph 3.1 of AIC nr 11/04
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FAA certificates are issued in accordance with ICAO ANNEX 1.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FAA certificates will have an notation on them as per FAR 61.101 (g) as follows.

"Holder does not meet ICAO requirements"

IF THEY ARE NOT ISSUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH ICAO.

(Only applies to a 2 kinds of certificates, Recreational Pilot and Sport Pilot, and in such a case paragraph 4 of AIC nr 11/04 applies in this country)
    FAA ATP certificates have exactly the same form as the private pilot certificate with the following difference under section IX it says 'Airline Transport Pilot' instead of 'Private pilot'.

Incidentally if the USA or its pilot certificates were not in conformity with ICAO ANNEX1 then All those American airliners that are forced to stopover in Shannon are operating outside of the law.
  • MCRO
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by MCRO » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:12 pm

Hello again Lionel

You may find it difficult to believe but I am probably an even more ardent fan of the FAA, even than you, based on 44 years interaction, a Certificate for 31 years, and some marvellous time in D.C, working in their ARAC process.

Difficulties arise simply because the FAA run a different ship to ours.

You mention the Class 2 Medical in AIC 11/04

This, refers, surely,to the ICAO Class 2 : the FAA Class 2 is arguably to an even finer and more advanced Standard - but the last I have heard is that it does not seem to be going to be possible to equate the two.

Now finally this matter of the attestation on the licence

If a pilot arrives here with a PPL from any foreign country and wants to fly, is anyone going to give the OK if the licence doesn't contain evidence that the State of Issue expects it to be accepted under ICAO?

The inference surely has to be that there is a reason why the ICAO claim of entitlement is not made

You suggest FAR 61.101

Fine, but should we really conclude that a Statement about a particular person in Subpart D should be taken as the proper compliance with an ICAO Standard for all the licences issued under Sub-Part E

The point I make in all this connection is that whilst an Air Authority may look in a particular way, an underwriter faced with a large claim may look in quite another

Maurice