PPL in ireland or USA?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

fly-kk
Unverified User
Unverified User

PPL in ireland or USA?

Post by fly-kk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi everyone,

So I've got the flying bug and want to get my PPL. I've got a few quotes from around Ireland and it seems to be about €10,000 -12,000 all in (I'm open to correction). However, I'm going to the US for the summer and theres a small airport about 5 mins away that does flight training in a Cessna aircraft. The PPL over there is $7995 dollars all in which is about €6080. I have contacted them and they have said that previous students have converted the FAA license to a JAA one, but I'm not sure what the laws are regarding this and I am waiting to hear back from the IAA on it.

Just wondering what you guys think as I am going to be over there anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin.

PS, heres the link:

http://www.flyoceanaviation.com/training.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aviatorsguide
Verified User
Verified User

Re: PPL in ireland or USA?

Post by aviatorsguide » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Getting PPL is no big deal despite what you might be led to believe. Paying for it is the biggest problem. You can wear the green jersey if you want, and try any number of schools/clubs here for quotes/real world times but I've seen very few places capable of turning out a good on target 45hr PPL. Amphibious Flying Club did my fiancé including test in 47hrs, and another 2 good mates in same.

Out and out easiest way to a PPL, is 1 week in Bournemouth with Derek Davidson and pass the UK written. Then go to a JAA type school in the USA and get a UK issued PPL(A) - you could knock through that in two weeks at the pace Ormond Beach used to run at. You only start to really make mistakes when you get the licence and a bit of confidence! So it's only a licence to learn.

:wink:

RV BLUE
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RV BLUE » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Ocean City Maryland, is a beautiful spot not too far away (flying) from where I live. Its a nice large airport with good runways,longest being just over 4,000ft. http://www.airnav.com/airport/KOXB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck if you do go there.

Happy Landings

fly-kk
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by fly-kk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks for your help guys,

What I am really looking to find out is if the FAA license can be converted back to a JAA one, if say I wanted to rent out a plane when i return back to Ireland after the summer?

And also what exactly I am entitled to with a PPL? (rent planes from flying clubs, how far I can fly, max number of passengers etc.)

Kevin.

ptawse
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ptawse » Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Ever throught of doing your PPL full time here in Ireland. We can offer the course based on a dual rate of 140/hr. While two weeks is not possible here due to weather etc, it is probably not the best way to train anyway. Check out http://www.recreationalflyingclub.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The other consideration is the new EASA LAPL(A) which requires a minimum of 30hrs. Makes it a better option than microlight and doesn't have the weight restrictions. Privileges upto 2000kg and 4 seats. If you only want to fly for sport or recreation, this might be the route to take. Drop in to Kilkenny for a chat!

lookout
Verified User
Verified User

Post by lookout » Thu May 03, 2012 8:14 am

Hi Kevin

flyoceanaviation look like your typical small american training facility. Ocean City should have good weather which is the key to making progress and getting to PPL test level.

The fact that you are going to be 5 minutes away makes your decision a no brainer.

At present you can still fly in Europe on either a N reg or EASA aircraft using your FAA PPL. That may change but the worst will be that you will be forced to convert.

The JAR PPL is now the EASA Part FCL PPL and is standardised throughout Europe so a UK one is equilavent to an Irish issued one. The gotcha now with EASA now however is the country that issues/holds your medical is the one that issues/maintains the licence so if you choose the UK EASA PPL then they will hold your medical so you must make sure that you do the medical in the UK or NI or that your Irish AME requests the IAA to forward your medical to the CAA.

Under EASA rules the requirement to convert and ICAO PPL to EASA(JAR) is Airlaw, Human Performance Exams and Pass the EASA/JAR skills test. You will also need to do RT .

With the CAA system you can do your exams at the flying school any time you wish, and if you fail (not that you will) you can resit the next day.

but with the Irish you can only sit the exams every two months at an IAA designated location. Miss it and you wait another 2 months.

The CAA skill test is cheaper and the CAA License is cheaper. The CAA also has clear guidelines on the conversion and no bullshit.

Allow about 5 - 8 hours brush up training to get familar with the local airspace and get flight test ready. Stick with the same aircraft (ie 172) even though its more expensive, or expect a few more hours to get familar with another aircraft.

You can do the CAA course in Northern Ireland at Enniskilllen or Newtonards or as other posters have said there are good schools in the UK. Be advised airspace in the UK at some airports is quite tricky compared to the US system but Northern Ireland is easy.

You should also look at getting a microlight endorsement on your UK license as this will allow you to fly microlights here which represent over 50% of available aircraft here.

You must keep in mind your objective must be to get your conversion as cheaply quickly and simply as possible. Once you have it then the real learning begins.
Ireland is littered with student pilots almost got their PPL but failed to make sufficient progress against the system grew dispondent and gave up. Other countries especially the states have much better success rates.

There are also a large number of foreign PPL who failed to convert in time and let their license laspe. They they were unable to get back to revalidate . Your FAA PPL must be valid to do the conversion.

Being able to Pilot an aircraft is one of the satisfying joys in life. Go for it.

peteport
Verified User
Verified User

Post by peteport » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:43 pm

this question's for aviators guide about doing the exams in Bournemouth.

Do you have a general price on how much the tuition and exams would be and how long do the exams last before you have to complete your P.P.l ?

Thanks

Aidoair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Aidoair » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:19 pm

I held an Irish PPL and now live in NYC and hold an FAA ppl . I would recommend the USA as a place to go get your Wings . Theres a few factors that help with training here in the USA , the flight schools are everywhere , the weather is good , ( if it rains well you can be sure it will stop ) the choice of aircraft to train on maybe a little more than in Ireland ( cessna 172 , Cessna 172SP Glass cockpit , Piper warrior , cherokee and archer , cirrus sr-20 , the Paperwork process between you and the FAA is all online , ( no waiting around for brown envelopes from the IAA) , Airports are everywhere and are open 24/7 even when the tower is closed , it reverts from class delta to glass golf airspace , basically it becomes a non towered field and you announce your position , the written part of the PPL checkride is done online , you know your result 2 minutes after you submit your test online , your medical paperwork is done mostly online apart from the actual medical ,and your medical cert IS your student license . I love the flying here and the amount of Apps , websites , etc that are free online for VFR flight planning are endless .