Cross Country Help

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Post Reply
Unverified User
Unverified User
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:12 pm
Location: Louisburgh, Co.Mayo

Cross Country Help

Post by thepeoplesmass »

Hi everyone,

I have never flown in Ireland (Flew in America for a few years as a hobby but let it slip and am back home now).

I got my faa ticket back up to scrath in the U.K not so long ago and have bought my own N-reg airplane which I had flown in from the west midlands last week 8) I have a grass strip made in a field beside my home but have yet to use it. I have taxied up and down the strip so far but have yet to get my baby airborne!!

What I would like help with my first cross country!
Who, what, where do I get permission of and who do I contact once airborne?
I would like to visit abbeyshrule on my first trip (Its 75NM east from me).

I guess its more the R/T and Irish nav procedures example I am looking for.

I visited the local flying club to me not so long ago but found no one very helpful or freindly. It seems I would have to pay up a grand in membership first before I could get advice!

Thanks for tips in advance

p.s Any FAA mechanics in Ireland?

Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Cross Country Help

Post by stovepipe »

Hi there,
there are FAA A+P mechs in Ireland and they tend to be concentrated around the big airports or wherever private helis and executive aircraft gather. You might look up the handling companies such as Universal or Signature to see if they could point you towards an A+P. To keep an N-reg aircraft in Ireland, you have to have the permission of the IAA and if you want to keep it here permanently, you may have to change it to an Irish reg.
With regard to navigating around Ireland, you don't need anyone's permission. You can buy half-million navigation charts directly from the IAA and they'll show you where the Control Zones are. In essence, if you plan to go above 4500 feet, outside a Control Zone, you need to talk to Shannon. To go to Abbeyshrule, you should phone ahead first, as with all small airfields in Ireland. Quite often, you can fly in Ireland and not speak to or hear from anyone, but you do need to keep a listening ear open, as there are many, many small airstrips.
You really should seek out an Instructor and pay him for his time and sit down and go over Irish procedures and air law.


Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Cross Country Help

Post by Demonduck »

You can download a 30day trial flight planning software.
This will show you the necessary control zones and make you aware of the danger areas that are active on the day also the weather.
There is a nice long hard runway in Abbeyshrule with food nearby too in the Rustic INN." onclick=";return false;



Post Reply