Page 1 of 1

Class 1 Questions Again! (Recent feedback is what I need)

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:24 pm
by johnc24
Evening readers,

I am considering my Class 1 medical exam at the moment.

My dilemma is all the rules and regulations surrounding "CAA, IAA, JAA, JAR......." - Headache.

Anyway I am a resident in Ireland and I am trying to decide where is best to go. I have been looking at forums for a while now and I am noticing not too many positives for getting it done with the IAA.

Now the confusion enters the arena. I am hearing all sorts of bits and pieces saying the PPL and CPL must be completed in the state of initial class 1 issue. On the CAA website they offer a CAA Class 1 / JAA Class 1

I would have thought the JAA Class 1 would be acceptable to the IAA since it came from a member state.

Can anyone direct me to the reading material regarding the PPL and CPL completion in issuing state or is that untrue?

Finally I am also looking for the most recent feedback from class 1 medicals completed in CAA or IAA land and how your experiences were.

Thanks a million


Re: Class 1 Questions Again! (Recent feedback is what I need)

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:17 pm
by NAG
Do you have reason to doubt that you won't pass the Class 1? Or that you'll get a restriction on your licence? Or is just a general fear?

Re: Class 1 Questions Again! (Recent feedback is what I need)

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:04 pm
by johnc24

No it's not that I have a fear. I do have one or two concerns but nothing else really. On that note I had perthes when I was 7, got discharged at 14, never really came back to me until I recently started running which does put extra stress on the hip joint in particular I know but I have since stopped for a few weeks and the pain has subsided. In terms of flexibility I am fine, I can walk, run ( the after affect being a little inflammation), drive etc so from that point of view I am a little concerned but I don't think it will be a big issue.

The second thing is I have a small Pinguecula on my right eye, not a major thing. It can be removed if neccessary I think.

The original post was more about where to do it based on recent feedback. I believe the CAA may be the way to go - cheaper, more helpful around minor issues that crop up etc, unlike the IAA from what I read and talk to friends about they are not the most obliging crowd in the world.

The only thing that I need clarity on is whether a comment about completing the PPL / CPL in the country of Initial class 1 issue is true or not, I cannot find reference in the FCL sections.....yet. I'm still perusing them.

Re: Class 1 Questions Again! (Recent feedback is what I need)

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:29 pm
by neilr
Yes there are restrictions .... at least at present - once EASA takes over this may go away - I really dont know

See previous posts ... =14&t=5405" onclick=";return false;

Re: Class 1 Questions Again! (Recent feedback is what I need)

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:35 am
by mark
Hi johnc24,

I read recently that it will still be a requirement to have your first licensed issued in the country where you took your first medical in the new EASA regs. I'm still trying to find the reference to it...can't remember where I read it! Anyway in the meantime the CAA have published lots of useful information about the new EASA regulations which come into force from next month" onclick=";return false;

Hope this helps,

EDIT: This comes from the Frequently asked Question link on the page above. It doesn't answer your question exactly but it might help.

Which country can I apply to for an EASA licence?
You may apply for an EASA licence for each category of aircraft; but you may only
hold one EASA licence for each category. All EASA licences issued to an individual
must be from the same EASA Member State, which must be the State that holds the
medical records for that individual. A licence holder may change their State of Licence
issue, but to do so they must have their medical records transferred to the new State
and all of their EASA licences reissued by that State; or apply to the new State for an
new initial Medical Certificate (i.e. effectively start again). Part MED allows for a
licence holder to obtain a medical certificate from any Authorised Medical Examiner or
Aero Medical Centre in any State, but when they do so the record of the outcome will
be sent to the State that holds their medical records, which will be their State of
Licence issue. (FCL.015 and MED.A.025 refer). As a medical certificate must be
obtained before flying solo, the State of Licence issue for an individual will be
determined, at least initially, by where that first Medical Certificate is obtained.

Re: Class 1 Questions Again! (Recent feedback is what I need)

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:43 pm
by johnc24
Hi Mark

I was in Tenerife for a few nights. Only noticed the update to the thread this evening.

Thanks a million for the links.

All the best