Class 1 medical

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

KK Flyer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Class 1 medical

Post by KK Flyer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi

If anyone could give me a litle help would be greatly appreciated..I am hoping to start my atpls in the next month or two but juat have to do the class 1 medical. Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get the appointment or is there a long waiting list....

inverted
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Class 1 medical

Post by inverted » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:48 pm

It takes between 1 and two weeks to get an appointment so no major drama.

The medical itself takes 4-6 hours and you'll get all the details about what standards required on the Iaa website. (Although the JAR site is better)

The contact details are :

AeroMedical Centre, Mater Private Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7. Tel: 01 885 8615. Fax: 01 885 8122. Email: aeromed@materprivate.ie.

Hope the above is helpful,

Inverted

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:49 am

I'd reccommend Dr. Talent at London Gatwick,
Work out cheaper if you fly over for the day, and you should be able to get one in a week if needed.

http://www.avmed.org.uk/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards,
M747
:D

robclay26
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by robclay26 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi,
I would reccommend the CAA medical Dept at their building in Gatwick. Friendly staff, cheaper than Dublin, they are faster to do the test and you go home with your cert in your hand, not waiting on Rodenburg's letter/cert in the post a week later!

Also, god forbid, but if you have any colour vision problem, Gatwick has superior testing equipment, they use the latest CAD colour vision test by computer and rather then saying your colour safe or colour unsafe, it says how bad you are and with a certain factor, they can give you the all clear.

I have done Class 1 medicals in Dublin & Gatwick, my votes are with Gatwick :)

Best of luck with it!

Aeromedical Centre
Aviation House
Gatwick Airport South Area
Gatwick
West Sussex RH6 0YR
Telephone: 01293 573700 or medicalweb@caa.co.uk

robclay26
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by robclay26 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi,
I would reccommend the CAA medical Dept at their building in Gatwick. Friendly staff, cheaper than Dublin, they are faster to do the test and you go home with your cert in your hand, not waiting on Rodenburg's letter/cert in the post a week later!

Also, god forbid, but if you have any colour vision problem, Gatwick has superior testing equipment, they use the latest CAD colour vision test by computer and rather then saying your colour safe or colour unsafe, it says how bad you are and with a certain factor, they can give you the all clear.

I have done Class 1 medicals in Dublin & Gatwick, my votes are with Gatwick :)

Best of luck with it!

Aeromedical Centre
Aviation House
Gatwick Airport South Area
Gatwick
West Sussex RH6 0YR
Telephone: 01293 573700 or medicalweb@caa.co.uk

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi KK Flyer!

You will have no problem getting an appointment in Dublin for a Class1. Thats the only thing you wont have a problem with. The result took 12 months for me with endless amounts of money and stress. In the end i gave up and i went to London Gatwick. The revalidation every year for a class one in Gatwick will leave you change of about €100 when compared to revalidating in Dublin. This includes the Flight to Gatwick, Airport Parking & Lunch.

I have gone to the stage where i dont even send post to Gatwick anymore when i have a licence application. I just fly over. They provide a F-R-E-E bus from Gatwick airport to the CAA Building, which is only about a mile walk.

The Initial Class one medical at Gatwick is near to £310, and the revalidation every year (under 40) is £117. Can anyone compare prices with the same service in Dublin? I paid over €600 for my initial class one here in Ireland about 4 years ago, and ive heard recently of someone being charged over €300 for a reval?

Also, they are very helpfull no matter what problem arises.

A word of caution; I do not think you can get an Irish Issued JAA CPL on the basis of a UK Medical. You may need to undergo a transfer. On the otherhand, the CAA will issue a UK JAA licence with an Irish Medical.
Anyone correct me if Im wrong!

There is an agreement in place that if you do your ATPL exams in Ireland, they will be valid for CPL issue in the UK, and the IAA will accept ATPL results from the UK CAA.

Best of luck,

LC
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

robclay26
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by robclay26 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi LC,

Interesting to hear your story, and also that you find Gatwick a much better job!

On your quote about transferring the CAA medical to IAA, I can confirm that the IAA will not accept it depending on your circumstances. For example, in my case, IAA say im colour blind failed the stupid Isharia plates and the ancient Holmes Wright Latern, but CAA say im colour safe and proved this with the CAD test i mentioned earlier. BUT the IAA (Institute Against Aviation) do not appove this CAD test and therefore, will not accept my CAA class 1 according to Dr Roodenburg even though it says JAA on it! :lol:

BUT: April 2012 EASA takes over from the JAA, and apparently so, there will be no more National issued CPL,ATPL IR etc. It will all be a EASA CPL,ATPL etc no matter if you took the training/exams in Ireland, Germany or the UK. So, rather than having your IAA ATPL it will be just EASA ATPL and shall allow more freedom to take medical in one state and train in anohter etc. I am awaiting confirmation on this, but this is what i have been told by Dr Roodenburg in the IAA (but she talks a lot of shite). Seems to make up the rules and bend the rules to restrict you from flying!

I will drop Annette Ruge chief medical officer in EASA an email and shall let you know what the truth is.

But hey, if it is all true, at least we can get cheaper medicals from our very helpfull neighbours :) Only for the fact this is home and would like to fly here, I would just pack the bags and move some place where rules are rules and there is no bullshit.

Regards
Rob

nuggetclv
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nuggetclv » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:46 pm

If you're OK on the Class I (not colour defective etc), will the IAA convert the medical?
Does it cost to have it changed (although knowing the IAA, I have an idea of the answer already :P)

robclay26
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by robclay26 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:51 pm

I am pretty sure they will convert it, and prob charge ye a fortune! Becasue they know of my previous "failure" with their stupid colour vision testing and its on my record, they will not change mine from CAA to IAA.
So bottom line is: If your in doubt about your color vison for example, go to the CAA, if you pass :) the IAA have to accept your medical then.

As i mentioned in another Forum, I cant understand the crazy costs the IAA charge us!

robclay26
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by robclay26 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:58 am

Hi everybody,

As promised I got a reply from Annette Ruge chief medical officer in EASA, a very efficient and helpfull person. In connection with EASA licences & medical certs been common and excepted from all member states of been 1 standard and not national.
Dear Mr Clayton,

the European rules for licensing and medical will enter into force on 8 April 2012. Transitional arrangements of 12 months have been put in place and under these arrangements Member States may choose a date for implementation of these rules in their respective countries between 8 April 2012 and 8 April 2013.

The JAR-FCL licences and medical certificates will continue to be valid after the implementation date of the EU rules and will be replaced by EU licences and medical certificates when they are due for revalidation, or if a change to the licence is needed. This may be a revalidation of a type rating or the entry of a new type rating.

All pilot licences and medical certificates shall be accepted at face value (without further checking or testing) by all European Member States and EASA associated States (Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein).

Sincerely yours

Dr Annette Ruge

I hope this will help put things in black and white for ye's all.

Regards
rob

neilr
Verified User
Verified User

Post by neilr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:38 am

Lambada Crazy wrote:Hi KK Flyer!
A word of caution; I do not think you can get an Irish Issued JAA CPL on the basis of a UK Medical. You may need to undergo a transfer. On the otherhand, the CAA will issue a UK JAA licence with an Irish Medical.
LC
It is a requirement (currently) that you must complete the CPL or PPL for that matter in the state that you did your initial class 1 medical - this is the case for both CAA and IAA, for medical renewals it doesnt matter - can do them in any member state

So if a CAA class 1 initial must complete PPL and CPL in approved UK school, same for the IAA

Note this does not apply to ratings (MEP, IR, FI, etc) these can be done in any JAA state and added to any JAA license - it is just the initial license issue where problems arise

I would agree with the general consensus here - I pop over to Gatwick every year for my renewal - with flights, food, transport, even accommodation if required - it still works out better value !!

xpro
Verified User
Verified User

Post by xpro » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Im getting my inital class 1 now, so if i do it in uk, it means that i cant do the CPL in ireland and vice versa?

neilr wrote:
Lambada Crazy wrote:Hi KK Flyer!
LC
It is a requirement (currently) that you must complete the CPL or PPL for that matter in the state that you did your initial class 1 medical - this is the case for both CAA and IAA, for medical renewals it doesnt matter - can do them in any member state

So if a CAA class 1 initial must complete PPL and CPL in approved UK school, same for the IAA

Note this does not apply to ratings (MEP, IR, FI, etc) these can be done in any JAA state and added to any JAA license - it is just the initial license issue where problems arise

I would agree with the general consensus here - I pop over to Gatwick every year for my renewal - with flights, food, transport, even accommodation if required - it still works out better value !!

neilr
Verified User
Verified User

Post by neilr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:45 pm

xpro ..... you are correct - UK medical means UK CPL
however things may change under EASA from April next year

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:26 pm

[/quote]So if a CAA class 1 initial must complete PPL and CPL in approved UK school, same for the IAA[/quote]

Maybe it works that way when you get an initial CAA class 1 but definitely not when get an initial IAA class 1.

I did an IAA class 1, then did an IAA PPL and then a CAA CPL. The IAA was able to send my initial IAA class 1 info to the CAA medical department by email and I was issued with a CAA CPL.

Just to note that Ms. Roodenburg in the IAA was very helpful with the transfer, no small talk with her but she gets the job done!

There's a fella up in Belfast as well that does way cheaper renewals too, was quoted approx €400 for an IAA renewal including ECG and Audio gram but was approx £120 with this guy. From Dublin anyway Belfast isn't too long away on the M1. Forget his name but it's on the CAA list of docs.

Fingers crossed EASA can streamline everything.
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

neilr
Verified User
Verified User

Post by neilr » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:39 pm

GoGo ...

You make a fair point - I took another look at LASORS and there is some provision for mutual acceptance but at the authorities discretion at least by the CAA

My experience however was with an initial CAA class 1 - the IAA would NOT under any circumstances issue me with a CPL despite doing the training in Ireland and expected me to another initial class 1 within their jurisdication - hence I did CPL in UK

Another initial class 1 might be OK (apart from the cost of course) for somebody who is 20 but less OK for somebody at 40+

Neil