Cost of ppl training

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Racecrest Aviation
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Cost of ppl training

Post by Racecrest Aviation » Mon May 16, 2011 2:07 pm

: ) Our latest addition to the RTF
Attachments
eirca.JPG
eirca.JPG (66.77 KiB) Viewed 5084 times

furball
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by furball » Wed May 18, 2011 10:01 am

Just sent you a PM Mark...thanks.

Camroc
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Camroc » Thu May 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Hey
Im just back from the states with my ppl, I did the entire licence for just under 10,000US$. that included 45hours, books, exams,Visas, accommodation, food, skills test, everything bar the travel to/from the states and the JAR medical.

Going to the states is the only way to go lads, this craic of trying to earn here will cost u a fortune on rental, fuel and revision because u may not get to fly for 3 weeks cause of bad weather. I did my PPL in 20 days out there with not a whole lot of previous experience. Flights are cheap to the us at the moment and the exchange rate is brilliant. Now is the time to go.
Thats my opinion
Camroc

furball
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by furball » Fri May 27, 2011 11:38 am

Has anybody out there started out getting the PPL(M) license and then upgraded to the PPL(A) license? I'm interested to see if it is worth my while getting the microlight license first and then upgrading to the airplane license.

Is there a recognized method to upgrade ie.extra number of hours, additional exams etc?

I've tried emailing the licensing dept in the IAA twice for information but no joy.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Camroc
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Camroc » Fri May 27, 2011 11:46 am

Last edited by Camroc on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C152
Verified User
Verified User

Post by C152 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:54 am

You can only use 1/3 of your hours from your PPL(M) to transfer to your PPL(A) so if you have done say 9 hours microlight training you could only transfer 3, this is to stop people taking the cheap option of doing PPL(M) and then just changing

furball
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by furball » Fri May 27, 2011 2:47 pm

C152 wrote:You can only use 1/3 of your hours from your PPL(M) to transfer to your PPL(A) so if you have done say 9 hours microlight training you could only transfer 3, this is to stop people taking the cheap option of doing PPL(M) and then just changing
Thanks very much for that clarification C152. Makes sense as to why more people aren't doing the M license first and then onto A.

Pity though...considering the cool light planes that fall into the M category now!

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Fri May 27, 2011 4:31 pm

n
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Camroc
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Camroc » Sat May 28, 2011 1:20 am

Last edited by Camroc on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Sat May 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Camroc wrote:be careful of fly-easa thats my 2 cents
Not having a go at you Camroc but just want to say that I've heard all the bad press about them and in fairness they do what they say on the tin.

I did my CPL with them and found them to be great, on budget, on min hours, and in 2 weeks, as they promised. When I was there a load of guys had similar stories, many of them were Irish lads too. When I had lost an hour because of a tech problem I spoke to an instructor and she kindly came in at 6:30am to help me make up that hour when she was already fully booked in for the day.

There were a few lads that went home without their licence but I know from first hand experience that these guys allocated 3 weeks to do their PPL, went out on the tear when they could and treated the whole thing like a holiday and then had a look of disbelief when they fell behind. Some of them started cancelling lessons because they didn't want to go up..

Actually I'm sure JFH will tell you of a similar experience!

Like any flight school, read the T&Cs carefully, get prices in writing, don't hand over too much money up front, just enough to stay in credit and pay with a credit card as you have a comeback if they go bust.

Have you had a bad personal experience with them Camroc?
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

Pearse1983
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pearse1983 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Going to the states is the only way to go lads
Assuming your ok with the additional outlay required for training when you get back to Ireland.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Sun May 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Pearse1983 wrote:
Going to the states is the only way to go lads
Assuming your ok with the additional outlay required for training when you get back to Ireland.
You can still do JAA training in the states, sure our national carrier used to send their cadets to the states!!

Therefore there would be no additional training required or an additional outlay when you got back to Ireland.
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

vino
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by vino » Mon May 30, 2011 12:25 pm

[quote]
On another note, microlights are really expencive in Ireland. Just do a quick google search, RTF's charging more than €100 an hour, rip of republic still exists Wasn't the whole point of this microlight revolution to make flying more affordable for tom dick and harry ? You can get lessons in Cessna 152's for the same price as these so called (the future of irish general aviation) microlights..

Lambada etc should be no more than €80 per dual hour. Thats my 2 cents

Hello JFH
interested in what you said in your recent post quoted above
Can you tell me where in the UK I can get dual instruction on the cessna for the same price as the microlight
Do you have any names or telephone numbers
Also do you know what microlight training in any of the UK schools is or whats involved as regards price etc
and on what type of microlight
When you say 'Dual' does that mean including the instructor, and does it mean the price includes the ground brief or class room or what ever its called

Thanks in advance
vino

Pearse1983
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pearse1983 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Therefore there would be no additional training required or an additional outlay when you got back to Ireland.
We have different classes of Airspace and different VFR minima.
RT is vastly different. Ask Shannon for a flight following see what they say.
Our weather. I would consider it more than prudent to familarise oneself with Irish weather before taking off into the wild blue yonder this side of the pond.

Just a few of the examples. A JAR licence issued on the back of US training is valid in Ireland. Jumping into an aircraft here after a month of flight training in Florida however is it wise....

Camroc
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Camroc » Mon May 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Pearse1983 wrote:
We have different classes of Airspace and different VFR minima.
RT is vastly different. Ask Shannon for a flight following see what they say.
Our weather. I would consider it more than prudent to familarise oneself with Irish weather before taking off into the wild blue yonder this side of the pond.

Just a few of the examples. A JAR licence issued on the back of US training is valid in Ireland. Jumping into an aircraft here after a month of flight training in Florida however is it wise....
U actually can do a JAR licence in florida, Issued by the CAA, a stand alone licence not off the back of an FAA one, U just need a FAA medical and student licence to go solo out there. As for flight following in Florida i only used it once because i knew we didnt have it at home. and well weather u should not fly outside ur limits and it also gets extremely gusty in florida as the day warms up.

U study all JAR books so u will know the VFR minima.
The only diff is u learn uk air law not irish, but both are pretty much the same. if u had to come back and do 5 hours here afterwards would it make a huge difference.
u already have ur licence.
u will be P/ic
U are still flying and logging hours
it will still be cheaper