Cost of ppl training

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

james5
Unverified User
Unverified User

Cost of ppl training

Post by james5 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi everyone
just wandering how much would the training for a ppl cost?
thanks!

railto
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Cost of ppl training

Post by railto » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Also wandering this myself, as well as difference in going for microlight first

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi James5 and railto,

Here's a simple breakdown of some of the costs involved in getting a PPL. The minimum requirements are 45 hours flying, of which 10 hours must be solo, 5 hours of this must be cross country solo. One long cross country of least 150NM. You also need to do 4 written exams and an approved groundschool course.

Here are some sample costs:

45hrs x €175 = €7875 in the aircraft
40hrs x €40 = €1800 pre / post flight briefings
€75 Student pilot licence
€120 Class 2 medical
€600 groundschool course
€300 equipment / books / maps etc.
€350 Landing fees, touch and goes etc.
€130 IAA theory exams
€430 PPL flight test and licence issue
€350 Aircraft hire for flight test

That all comes to a total of €12030. In my opinion I would say the total cost comes to closer to €15000 in Ireland. I think the average PPL now takes almost 80 hours, that's €14000 in aircraft hire alone. The weather is probably the biggest factor for the hours being so high.

I'm not trying to put you off with these prices but you need to know the full costs before starting something like this.

Does anyone else have any additional costs I've missed or disagree with what I've outlined above?

Of course a microlight PPL is a lot cheaper but you are even more constrained with weather. If you only intend on flying for fun then this is definitely the way to go. If you want to go commercial none of your time on microlights will count for you so it's a pointless option.

Regards,
Mark
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

Pearse1983
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Pearse1983 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Also consider the cost of the commute to your nearest/selected airport.

Do your sums and do your homework. Shop around and get the prices first and visit the clubs/schools before hand.

It is also worthwhile considering NI as a training option. The total quoted above for Aircraft hire and Instructor briefs comes to €9675. Enniskillen, for example, charge circa £153 an hour which includes your instructor briefs, which brings the total to £6885stg (includes landing fees at Enniskillen)

Good luck with your training! Its worth every penny IMHO!

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:42 pm

Very well put together Mark.

I'd second what Mark says in that if it's just flying for fun go microlight, it's really taken off here in Ireland and some of the microlight aircraft out perform the regular Cessna 150's etc and are a lot cheaper.

Newcastle airfield in Wicklow have a nice set up for microlights and you'll find lots of info on http://www.nmai.ie/

I would say that if your going the commercial route to do a class 1 medical rather than a class 2 to find out if it's possible. It's fairly pricey at around €600+ but well worth getting it early on if the plan is to go commercial.

The PPL(A) over here is quite pricey so it's well worth checking out schools in Florida that do the JAA PPL(A).

Even though prices are advertised at the €4000 mark, realistically it would all come to around €7500 when you take in flights, accommodation, car rental, visa fees etc.

Also this would be in something bigger like a PA-28 or C-172 (as opposed to a C-150 or similar over here) and generally include night rating, r/t licence, ground school, exams, flight test fees etc. Time wise, 3 weeks is very possible but 4 - 5 weeks is more realistic.
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

railto
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by railto » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:24 am

ouch that is just a lil steep.

would be learning for fun anyways, have no plans to use it for anything other than enjoyment, poss the odd flight to england etc etc.

How much are we talking for getting a PPL for Microlight, on 3 axis (really dont like the look of flexwing)

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:52 am

Hi railto,

Training at Ultraflight in Samba XXL 3 axis aircraft is currently €130 per hour.

min hours for PPL(M) is 30, but the IAA average for a student to get the PPL(M) is 55.

The other costs (medical exams etc) are similar to those listed.

PM me & I can have a chat with you if you wish

Cheers

Willo

railto
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by railto » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:49 pm

just off phone with john from Newcastle, gonna head down there in a few mins and have a chat about it all. Thanks for all the input so far guys

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:49 pm

No better man to talk to....
Regards,
M747
:D

hedgehopper
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by hedgehopper » Sun May 01, 2011 10:35 pm

hi railto and james5,
if your only planning on flying for recreation ,go the microlight route but if you have lots of dosh to spend ,go the light aircraft route . i would highly recommend crossing the border and doing your microlight flight training with kernan aviation in tandragee or take 2 weeks off in the summer and do your flight training in france with GS aviation . its a uk national private pilots licence which can then be converted to an irish microlight licence once you have over 50 hours flight time. minium of 25 hours flight training are required costing about €100 per hour so if you nail it in 25 hours it only costs €2500, study material(one straightforward book ) €25, exams about €120. flight test as far as i can remember €120. the long and short of it is its the route most of the microlight guys go for cost reasons. pm me if you want to have a chat about it or google the schools mentioned above . regardless of where you do your training you wont regret "reaching for the skys" !
ps just checked gs aviation website , they have an "all in" 25 hour course inc ground school ,exams and study/nav equipment for €3472. not bad for a full or restricted licence.its over 2/3 weeks.
Last edited by hedgehopper on Tue May 03, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

trimflyingclub
Verified User
Verified User

Post by trimflyingclub » Mon May 02, 2011 11:21 pm

Based on 45 hours, Trim Flying Club currently coming in at €9793 for the PPL(A).

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Tue May 03, 2011 8:42 am

hedgehopper wrote: i would highly recommend crossing the border and doing your microlight flight training with Kernan aviation in Tandragee .
I would second that, absolutely fabulous school with full time dedicated instructors with a great club facility. Call Raphael or Betty and have a chat with them.
Link to the website http://www.kernanaviation.co.uk/

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Tue May 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Waterford Aero Club;

45hrs x €142 = €6390 (Dual)
20hrs x €50 = €1000 Long Briefs
€75 Student pilot licence
€120 Class 2 medical
€200 equipment / books / maps etc.
€130 IAA theory exams
€430 PPL flight test and licence issue
€250 Aircraft hire for flight test
€185 Membership

Based on 45Hour Course, Equipment price reduced from above as headset is provided throughout training.
Course length can vary with Pilots Aptitude, Minimum of 45 Hours

Total; €8595

Any questions i would suggest send an e-mail to info [at] waterfordaeroclub [dot] com
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

james5
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by james5 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:20 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone! wouldnt really consider waterford or enniskillen as both are quite a long drive! Any idea of costs in weston or newcastle?

Racecrest Aviation
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Racecrest Aviation » Sun May 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi james5,

We are an rtf based at einc providing iaa ppl (m) training, ground school, self fly hire on our ever increasing in popularity NG4 aircraft. Rates are as follows : €135 per hour dual and €95 per hr solo hire for qualified club members. We are also conducting ground school on a 1 to 1 basis or group (depending on availability and numbers etc.. The required minimums are 30hrs total of which 10 hrs must be solo to also include cross countries also there are the 4 exams administered by the IAA and a Flight test to account for aswell. If you would like any further info please pm or give me a call anytime on 087 1265668.

Also to the rest of you guys on the fence about microlighting we are offering a microlight rating which comprises of 5hrs dual microlight training at a cost of €675 once completed this will also entitle you to self fly hire our aircraft at a rate of €95 per hr wet.....! We currently have EI ROK and our recent addition EI RCA to our approved list of training aircraft and hope to see our next baby by the end of the summer. Cruising at 110kts burning 12/13 litres an hour life is good down here at einc :)!!! Anyone else out there that can think of how I can help just shout, all are welcome to call out for a coffee and a chat anytime to see what we have to offer or even a circuit or 2 if the weathers good

Regards

Mark