training in the us
  • johnk
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

training in the us

by johnk » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:55 pm

i completed my ppl in florida with oba last year,i couldent complement enough,im returning to florida in the next few weeks for hour building would be interested if anybody is interested in travelling?.As iv been over before i know the story with the place(nice apartment on the beach!/car etc) it might suit sombody.iv found them very good and it cost me door to door absolutely everything included 8k(that included a top class apartment on the beach with pool an jym!)car also included.it took 4weeks.any interested it could be very good value to share apartment car etc ie make it cheaper!
  • mullingar
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Re: training in the us

by mullingar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi john,

Is OBA now EASA, I think it is??? .http://www.flyeasa.com/ .. If so can you tell me more please?? Groundschool for ppl and what are the instructors like??

Cheers
  • johnk
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by johnk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:31 pm

ground school in the evenings but to be honest you would want to have some study done first to lighten the work load,or alternately have some caa ppl exams done already before going out(ie more fun time less study!!).you fly every day so progress is very good thus reducing cost.yes oba is EASA,i researched schools over in florida last year and decided on OBA and to be honest i found them excellent.The instructors are very good and i got along with them very well.thats bout it realy,its extremly cheap to eat live etc there,you realy wont spend much while youre over ther.
  • GoGoGadgetGoAround
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:08 am

Hi JohnK,

I'm heading over to EASA in November for a bit of hour building and training. Will be my first time in the states!

Any tips, comments, advice etc on the set up there?? Anything at all..

Cheers,

Andy
    Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air
  • shrtfld
    Verified User
    Verified User

by shrtfld » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 pm

Andy

Checked your mail for a PM

Regards
    Shrtfld
  • Camroc
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Camroc » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 am

Hi John,
    I have been searching for places to in the US to do my ppl and the reviews I hear from EASA are quite good so i am planning on going over around mid april 2011. Have you any advice that you could give me on how things are there, what kind of stuff should i Know for the FAA Course, do i need to learn the Gleim Book cover to cover or will they be able to help me out. is there any other hidden charges in the cost or as you said will it just cost me €8k. What plane would you recommend training on (cessna 150 or a PA28 etc. whats are the instructors like and are you assigned with the one instructor throughout your course.

Thanks in advance
    Camroc
  • KeithT
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by KeithT » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 am

A little off topic, but Canada is worth considering for PPL training. There you would do a Transport Canada licence. I did a CAA PPL over there a few years ago and found the country amazing to fly in. Winter weather and snow covered landscapes make you become a very good navigator! There's little airports everywhere you can go into and it's just a fantastic place to learn to fly in.
    Plus when I went for a job interview a year ago, one of the questions I was asked was how come you didn't do what every other average wanabe did and go to the States and get a cheap and quick PPL :P

I chose Canada over the states as I had heard the very same stuff I just wrote before I went over. If I was doing it all over again I wouldn't hesitate to go the Canadian route again.

:D
  • Fanstop
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Fanstop » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Why not check out Enniskillen ? I hear very good reports from there and you will be more familiar with our rather shorter runways and weather when you are finished.
  • Camroc
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Camroc » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:19 pm

I am actually in Canada at the moment for a year and I found them very expensive to be honest. Fuel and instruction is more expensive for some reason I do not understand because I actually in oil country. But where did you train in canada and i will be sure to check it out

As for enniskillen their runway is quite long compared to what I will have to get used to when I get home and I don't know how they could compete with pricing. Especially when you take the exchange rate into consideration.
  • KeithT
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by KeithT » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Very expensive? Unless the prices have been hiked Irish style in the past 2 years they were more economical even than the States when I was there! I have an instructor friend out over there I must ask how much they charge now!
  • Camroc
    Verified User
    Verified User

by Camroc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:03 am

Yea let me know what he says and where he is based. I can be persuaded when it comes to cost if the training is good
  • GoGoGadgetGoAround
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Enniskillen isn't as cheap as you would think, price has gone up in the past year plus the exchange rate is less favourable than it was.

But it all depends on how close you are. I'm from Dublin so when you add up the time of journey, cost of petrol and there will no doubt be wasted journeys with the weather we have!! I could once see a saving to be had but not really anymore.

Saying that it's a fantastic location, great (lighted) runway, really friendly guys working there and by no means least the duty free fuel!!!!!
    Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air