Am I stark raving mad....?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

havana_club69
Unverified User
Unverified User

Am I stark raving mad....?

Post by havana_club69 »

to be thinking of getting into the industry??

I know people have probably heard this a million times before and you will hear it again but what the hell...

Basically, I have a thirst for flying!
When I was younger always wanted to train for my CPL but never fully believed in myself to go ahead and follow it through - life sort of pregressed in the meantime - I went to college and for the past number of years worked your regaular office shifts in IT.

However more and more while I sit in work I realise HOW MUCH I dont want this life and hoenstly how I long to be flying.
As I get closer to 30 I see the window of opportunity to pursue this begining to close ever so slightly and I start to question should I make the move or not.

As it stands with a wife, young child and relatively small mortgage I do have committments in my life which this makes the decision even harder.
My wife knows how much this haunts me everyday and keeps telling me if I want to train I should do it sooner rather than later. I know this is the case but Im in a secure job, albeit with little movement for advancing in the next number of years, and feel quite guilty about giving all that up for an expensive change of career.

Ive been doing alot of research on schools and forums (pprune of course!!) but am fairly sick of the childish attitudes alot of the people exhibit over there on that site. And given this is an irish site I might get more of a perspective from people I can relate to. I do have a number of friends already in the industry, one who recently secured a job straight out of Jerez with Mr O'Leary, while two others are still trying for that illusive first job two years on from a modular course....Obviously the arguements "for and against" dffer with them.

I guess my main question is do you think I am mad in pursuing this line of work with the current outlook(with so manay zero to frozen ATPL'ers and experienced pilots already vying for work)? On one side I know things dont look great for the foreseeable future but at the same time I beleive there will be an increased need for pilots in the future.

I dont want to look back in the furture and regret that I didnt take the leap but at the same time I dont want to look back without a job and a huge debt I find near impossible to pay

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and advice given will be grately appreciated....

ps. I know the arguement of Modular over Integrated will shine through here but I would be leaning towards the Intergrated route if I did persue this career!

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Am I stark raving mad....?

Post by michael747 »

Hey

I don't whether i should try help with this one or not....... U seem to have done your research and sounds like you have your head screwed on properly.

I'm gonna start with the question of:
Are you willing to quit your job, Take basically a year out of your life and go integrated?
Integrated really means INTEGRATED, Not having time for any one/thing else......

If (Thats a big IF) i was in your seat, I'd definately be going for the Modular Route.......
I cant say i'd be wiling to quit a secure job for what is, to a certain extent, a bit of a gamble on securing a job at the end of your training for your Frozen ATPL... with the responsability of being married and being a father also.

You could train for your PPL, Hour Build, And do the ATPL Distance Learning - Modular.
Then take a career break for 3 months when ready, and complete your CPL/ME/IR - integrated.
Then go back to work while looking for your first break......

I'm not sure if i hav been any help to you but ive certainly tried.

I will put one thing out there, When you have made (Probably the biggest decision of your life)
you'll never regret it. I never have for one second, And i'm still not all the way there yet!
Regards,
M747
:D

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman »

You're not mad but you need to be careful, not least with your money. I echo the comment by Michael. An integrated course is 100% committment of over year of your life probably abroad and away from you wife and family. I know someone who did exactly that. He admitted it was tougher than he thought and he used to fly back every weekend he could. Since then he has got a job but in Turkey. I can't imagine the impact that has had on his family life. But even if you get Ryanair you could be based anywhere. That's the reality of the job. Most opportunities will be in the UK as well.I'm guessing you prefer the integrated option because you think it might help your chances. It might do but most of the people I know who got Ryanair recently were modular trained. Ryanair has it's own way of selecting pilots, more of a case of 'If the face fits' sometimes.

The modular option is cheaper and gives you more money to spend on paying for the rating which is becoming very common now. You can also do modular courses full time.

But mainly you really, really need to be sure you want this and be prepared to put up with all the hassle and grief you will encounter. Also you need to be prepared to be away from home a lot for the next few years and maybe even away from home if you do get the job. This is also something your wife needs to realise too. That and the potential to be on very poor money initially.

I don't neccessarily agree that you will never regret the decision. Once you have the job the 'dream' fades quite quickly. It becomes a job with long hours and early starts. If you don't enjoy the flying then it'll become a drag very quickly indeed. So my advice is to be very sure you want this as much as you think.

havana_club69
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by havana_club69 »

Thanks a million for the response, I do appreciate the comments.

I do believe that the modular course is a good option but I reckon that it would be more suited to me completing the Integrated course as it would allow me to complete it in a timely manner. However, Michael I do take your point on board with being able to complete the PPL, Hour Build, and ATPL Distance Learning - then take the career break and complete the CPL/ME/IR. With the current situation, it leaves me with my current job to fall back on, even if it is not what I really want to pursue.

As for both comments on living away from home, it is part and parcel of the industry and it would be nieve of me to think that I could get the perfect job based out of Dublin. I believe my family would be open to the idea of being relocated, especially if the climate was a little better than our :)

I think if I was to go the Modular I would start into my PPL pretty much straight away as it will give me the chance to have most of it out of the way by winter and least not, leaving another year slip by without doing anything.

Out of curiousity, I have been researching Atlantic down in Cork and would be interested in finding out what people's experience are - Ive seen a number of positive comments about the school but the more the merrier!!! I hope to take a trip down there in the near to have a look around and chat to the staff and students. My preference would be to complete most of my training here in Ireland as I believe it would stand to me in the future, re handling weather conditions, etc.... and maybe complete some hour building down in the med or florida :)

Thanks again guys

mullingar
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mullingar »

I dont think your mad, If you dont do it you probably will regret it for the rest of your life. I feel exactly the same as you Im not happy in my line of work and I work close to Dublin airport and everytime I see a plane taking off it drives me insane!!

With the Irish weather it could take you a long time to work and do your training on a modular basis, I can see why you want to go integrated but FTE and Oxford your looking 100,000 and if you were to get a job after with Ryanair you would have to raise more money for your type rating also so you could easily be 130,000 in dept.

If you went to Atlantic you can do your training full time and the total cost of training is roughly 60,000 but there is no MCC and living expenses included.

Have you done your medical??

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax »

Perhaps slightly off topic here but I thought that modular V integrated argument died a long time ago? Airlines dont care which way you have gone about your training as long as you are a good stick.

It's a massive decision to make and it must be made by you. People here can only give their experience and knowledge.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround »

Some excellent replies above.

As above do your Class 1 medical first to see if it's all possible, it was around €600 a few years ago so shouldn't be too much more but it's the wisest investment you'll make.

I'm a firm believer that all that prestige nonsense with an integrated course is cr#p and defo not worth the extra 40 odd grand (not forgetting the interest of a bigger loan!) no matter what contacts they say they have.

Michael747's suggestion is a good route to take to keep the costs down as you'll be able to work through most if not all of it. I'm pretty much on the same route myself.

The market is tight for jobs as you know. In my view no point is dumping the job and getting into massive debt with slim chances of a job when you can get the training done a lot cheaper and still have the security of your job. It will take longer but by the time you've finished the jobs market will hopefully have improved.

Looks like you know your stuff but research is key, it's will save you thousands. Obviously all schools have a biased view so best bet is to talk to lads that trained at those schools your considering.

Go for it, fear of regret is a powerful motivator!!
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround »

PS: Don't be afraid to haggle, schools are crying for business so push hard for a discount, especially if you can link in with other lads looking to train.
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air