Why travel abroad for Hour Building?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

the red barron
Unverified User
Unverified User

Why travel abroad for Hour Building?

Post by the red barron » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:26 am

For those of you training with the National Flight Centre they have a great offer for Hour Building;

Min 10hr block in a C150
€65 per hour - Dry - Tach Time
Last edited by the red barron on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Glenn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:49 am

Hi red barron,

Where did you hear about this deal, im out in weston regularly and haven't seen or heard this.

It apperas to be good on the surface, but then you have to add fuel onto the cost. With a quick calculation this would be about 60 euro per hour itself. This brings the grand total up to around 125 per hour.

A great rate for Ireland it has to be said. I think i will have to take them up on this as i would like to complete at least some of my hours in Ireland.

Then looking at a US website however they have a 2004 172sp with garmin gps for $114 (wet), which is around 78euro an hour. You can't beat that.

Both good deals.

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dara » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:12 pm

The only thing to remember is in ireland you cant use all that fancy gps stuff for cpl/ir, i know one guy who was caught out with that already!

is it true in the uk you can use gps and wind arrows on the glass cockpits for ir??
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:08 pm

The NFC one is interesting. If you can control the fuel input, and purchase in EGAB, EGAD elsewhere availing of duty free, it would be a great deal.

For the US thing, agree its a great rate, but you have other overhead such as flights, accommodation to also consider

Suas
Unverified User
Unverified User

Waterford Aero Club

Post by Suas » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Its hard to beat the rates at Waterford Aero Club, €125 per tach hour on the Tecnam, which works out about 80 to 90 euro per hour, depending on what your doing and how fast. Includes all fuel, as many landings at waterford as you want, and free tea!!! Good atmosphere and availability there, also the weather is often better there, relatively!!!! Also a cheap night rating there on the Warrior if you need it. Cheap PPL training there too

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Why travel abroad for Hour Building?

Post by HomerJay » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:09 pm

the red barron wrote:For those of you training with the National Flight Centre they have a great offer for Hour Building;

Min 10hr block in a C150
€65 per hour - Dry - Tach Time
Firstly because that deal is VERY rare and I have seen nothing like it here before.

Secondly, the weather. I did 55 hours INSTRUMENT time in 4 months, full time in Ireland. Abroad I got 40 in two weeks (vfr).

I could go on to be honest, about landing fees etc. but Ive done this argument too many times.

edit as I just noticed that price is dry, not that great a price after all.

ADDICT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ADDICT » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:25 pm

120e an hour is super for ireland!!!
But when times are anyways better then they are now economically then its more like 160e and hour!!
U.S.A you can get 100e an hour fuel included...you usually get perfect weather and lots of interesting airports and places to see..
try doing 100hours PIC in ireland...it will take months and months...perfect if you are not rushing.irelands by far the nicest country i have flown in too!!!

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:51 am

Go to Fermanagh Flight Centre in Enniskillen. C-152 G-CEYG £108 per hour wet. Block rates can be arranged. Tel- 00447962213976

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Grob in Cork is 125 euro per hour wet.
Operated by Atlantic.