License Validity

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

dhblewis
Unverified User
Unverified User

License Validity

Post by dhblewis » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi,

I passed my skills test last Novemeber in OBA so its a CAA license. I am 17 in October so will apply then. I know I have 1 year to apply for the license but I am worried about keeping it valid. I haven't been able to fly since last November because of money.

I am wondering about the minimum hours to keep the rating valid. Do I need to do those hours to keep my rating current even though I don't have my license now?

I did have a look in Lasors but couldn't find the answer/got a bit confused!

Cheers.

Alan Murphy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Murphy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:47 pm

The validity period of a PPL is two years. The requirement for revalidation is 12 hours flight time in the 12 months prior to the revalidation, which must include one hour with an instructor.

So, even if the validation period starts from last November when the skills test was passed, I would assume you will still have a year (from November next) to complete the 12 hours etc for revalidation.

Just check the validity certificate within the licence when it's issued so you know exactly when it needs to be revalidated.

If in doubt, contact the licensing authority for clarification.

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:29 pm

A PPL is valid for 5 years, it's your RATING that's valid for two years

Alan Murphy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Murphy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Oops...of course it is. I meant the rating certificate.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:33 am

Hi dhblewis,

I'm in a similar situation (broke!!) so have been checking it out. The 12hr etc option is out of the question for me. You can also do a proficiency check with an examinar so that's my plan. From what I recall this has to be done 3 months prior to your SEP class rating lapsing (open to correction).

Asked an examiner and was told if the licence does lapse you'll need to complete a proficiency check and this is the same as the one you'd do before the licence lapsed so from what I gather if it does lapse then it's not the end of the world.

Anyone know if there are IAA fees associated with revalidating the SEP class rating if it expires??
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

Rudy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Rudy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:44 pm

GGGGA,
1.There is no charge to revalidate a SE rating by experience, and
2. An LST is more difficult than an LPC (proficiency check passed during the validity of the rating.)
Hope this helps,
Rudy
Rudy

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:33 pm

Cheers Rudy
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

libertyxl2flyer
Unverified User
Unverified User

i was in same boat

Post by libertyxl2flyer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:50 pm

hi i was in the same boat as yourself i did everything in oba wen i was 16 and had to wait till i was 17 to apply there is no bother with your ratings because you havent applied to hold your licence yet your fine however when you do get your licence in your hand you will find you will have to revalidate your licence in a year as it will have been two years since your skills test you can do this two ways

1) do it by completing it by experence ie doin your 12 hrs flying i think its 12?

2)or u can as was said earlier do A proficenceny check with an instructer
n550xl make left traffic report midfield downwind cleard for takeoff runway 08