PTC PROBLEMS

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

PTC PROBLEMS

Post by airbus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 am

I'm in college at the moment and i do plan on starting pilot training in a few years but i have heard a lot of strong opinions on PTC and most of them bad ones can anyone explain to me what is wrong with PTC and what other place can i go that is known to be good pilot training organisation but keep in mind i would like to keep close to home by home i mean not out of europe and are the NFC just as good as the others i kind of get the vibe that doing the PPL with NFC is the most you should deal with them if down the line you want to work for an airline,i mean are they capabile of training a person as fast and as good as the others. PLEASE ADVISE :)

MarBergi
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: PTC PROBLEMS

Post by MarBergi » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:39 am

airbus wrote:i have heard a lot of strong opinions on PTC and most of them bad ones can anyone explain to me what is wrong with PTC

The problem with your question is that it is all subjective and different people will have different experience with different schools and comment likewise. People who have had bad expericnce tend to complain more than those who dont - that said there doesnt tend to be smoke without fire.

All I can suggest is that you visit all three schools and see which one "fits" - and don't be afraid to ask the really hard questions either - you're going to be spending a lot of money with which ever one you choose so you are better of doing a bit of homework at the start.

airbus wrote:are the NFC just as good as the others

Yes - and they are only as good as the person trying to be a pilot. The one advantage NFC, and AFC for that, have is you pay as you go - no need to go tens of thousands of Euro in the red before you even start.

airbus wrote:i kind of get the vibe that doing the PPL with NFC is the most you should deal with them if down the line you want to work for an airline.

Flying Schools don't get peole jobs with airlines - any flying school that says they do are lying. At the end of the day you will get the same piece of paper going through any of the Irish Flyings schools - a modular fATPL - the person who actually gets the job is you.

airbus wrote:i mean are they capabile of training a person as fast and as good as the others. PLEASE ADVISE :)

Yes - and they have the same problems as the others as well - mainly the Irish weather.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:36 pm

I would just like to echo what MarBergi has said above.

I spent 6 weeks in PTC doing my Multi IR Conversion and had absolutely no problems with them. Never messed about with the schedule, aircraft in great condition and top class instructors.

Niallbhoy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Niallbhoy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:43 pm

if you read the other posts try atlantic flight training in cork. Top class organisation and they never seem to have any bad comments or publicity on this forum, also they are very competitive price wise.

cm13
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by cm13 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:51 pm

Just to add my two cents and to comfirm what AndyMax said, I went to PTC(with a PPL) and found them very good. CPL/ME in 3 and a half weeks, MEIR in 5 cant do them much quicker than that! Instruction is very good, schedule ran on time, planes are good especially in there new set up in Melbourne.

Like mentioned earlier with any flight school you go to it depends on the student and what you put in is what you get out. Doesnt matter if its PTC/NFC/AFT if you dont put in the effort you wont get the rewards.

Happy flying whoever you choose! :D

viz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by viz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi cm13,

Was the CPL/ME done in Ireland or US?

cm13
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by cm13 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:12 am

Hi Viz,

CPL/ME was done in Florida in PTC's new set up in Melbourne, sorry should have stated that in the post!

viz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by viz » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Sounds like a good set up they have over there

cm13
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by cm13 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:53 pm

Ya it was, a lot better than there previous arrangement with Flight Safety. I just did the CPL/ME in Melbourne (hour building done from Flight Safety), instruction is top class, planes are brand new Seminoles with Avidyne glass cockpit, schedule ran on time, a week of ground school first then flying, Monday - Friday, weekends off which was nice to give you a break and a chance to digest the weeks flying!

Anyone that did hour building there was happy too, again lots of available planes and no restrictions on destinations(unlike Flight Safety!)

Plus Melbourne has way more chicks in it than Vero Beach so its win win! :D

just my two cents.............

Skull
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Skull » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:48 pm

PTC charge a ridiculous 98k for a modular course, read back on all posts here and on pprune and you will see 90% of it is negative. They dont get people interviews after training because they dont have any connections with airlines.

Oxford in the uk is a proper integrated course with proper groundschool instructors (ex airline captains with thousands of hours), whereas the ground instructors at ptc are all 200 hour cpl holders, including the chief ground instructor - what a joke. All the flying instructors at ptc, while some of them are good, are mostly all general aviation pilots with no airline experience.

Oxford gets its graduates interviews with airlines after graduating, and they publish on their website which airlines their students end up at. PTC dont do this because most of the students unfortunatly havent found a job. Oxford is cheaper than ptc now aswell, so anyone choosing to go to ptc at this time is really making a bad decision.

ADDICT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ADDICT » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:30 pm

alot of pprune etc does not rate PTC. However since their recent move i have been told things have improved alot.

Skull PTC do not get you an interview and
neither do Oxford or any other school and dont let anyone fool you.
some schools do have better reputations but none send you for interviews in recent years..its a dogfight for jobs and airlines dont need schools recommending people.
when a school says they are connected to an airline it usually means and air line rep pops in for tea and a chat every 12 months...

P.S ask oxford whens last time some of those companies shown asked for people...years ago!!
and PTC students HAVE got jobs recently including Ryanair.

so if your going to dish a school or comment get facts before you do.

Skull
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Skull » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:49 am

Wrong Addict, Oxford do get graduates interviews, they go out and actively seek interviews for graduates. My sim partner on my type rating course used to work in the HR office in Oxford, he used to personally send cvs and letters of reccomendation to airlines.

A handful of PTC students getting in to Ryanair on their own initiative does not make up for the 90% of graduates from there that dont get jobs.

ADDICT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ADDICT » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:35 pm

SKULL

i am in an integrated school at the moment...and yes letters of recommendation are given and sent...
they are not worth the paper they are written on in this econmic climate...
one of the courses left here around july..9 people left the 3 without the recommendation and school help are the first 3 to get an airline job.
yes you are right in saying schools help pays off when the bigger companies need cadets fast and ring up and ask can you have 6 guys for interview in 2 weeks!!!those days are gone for the next few years!!
I do also agree that PTC is a ridculous price for a modular course...but dont say they are less of a pilot or dont get jobs!

Skull
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Skull » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Addict i never said anyone was a lesser pilot, please dont put words in my mouth.

PTC are the highest charging FTO in europe, and they offer a second rate modular course for 98 thousand euros which does NOT include an MCC unlike Oxford - who also offer their students free sim sessions in their 737-400 sim every few months after graduation to maintain their flying skills and to be ready for an interview should they get one.

Also PTC are total bullshitters when it comes to employment opportunites, they have this written on their website:

"Guaranteed interviews with major airline recruiters

Suitably qualified students of PTC are guaranteed an interview with an airline following graduation."

http://www.pilottraining.ie/ptc_benefits/

If thats not false advertising i dont know what is.

flanders
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by flanders » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:17 pm

I am sick and tired of all the PTC bashing that goes on here, in my opinion they're prices seem to be on a par with most other places ive enquired to, Sigmar wanted 95,000 grand for a integrated course, and they also promise you the sun moon and stars, its not just one company at this, and as for having they're staff dressed up in neat pilots uniforms, (you will notice that the number of stripes designates who is a pilot and who isnt), i think it rather reassuring that a pilot training school has the decency to look like they know what they are doing if im going to hand over that much money, every company in the world employs tactful marketing dont tell me you've never been enticed to buy some excuse for food in the golden arches because of the pictures of massive big burgers that they advertise with!!
There is no problem so complex that it cannot simply be blamed on the pilot.